Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 11,670 times

Advertisements

possibly moving to casa grande can anyone tell me any REAL information on things like: k-12 schools, colleges, nightlife activities, winter climate, crime rates, housing rentals?? anything else would be extremely helpful. i am moving from kansas with my kids and want to know exactly what im moving to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM

39,002 posts, read 50,981,006 times
Do you have a job there or something? CG is kind of low end. Why not consider a much nicer place like Goodyear? The homes are a little more expensive, but not that much and rentals are probably about the same. Goodyear is only minutes from downtown Phoenix(outside rush hour), is brand new, fresh, and will probably end up being the nicest city in the west Valley over time. Goodyear has superb city parks and pools and a great YMCA. Surprise is another nice suburb and also a good choice but not as convenient as Goodyear.
I bring this up because of your other post where you tell what you are looking for.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM

529 posts, read 2,387,654 times
Casa Grande, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Casa Grande - Casa Grande Weather

Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM

551 posts, read 2,720,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Do you have a job there or something?...
I agree with Ponderosa.

Unless you have a job in CG or very close, it will be over an hour each way to drive into the Phoenix area (sometimes even an hour just to get to Chandler!). The northern most part of CG is at least 50 miles from downtown Phoenix.

If you plan on working in the Phx area, it is strongly recommended to look for housing in the general Phx area!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM

641 posts, read 2,360,376 times
They just got a new high school that opened up this year. I am in AZ city and do not know about the elem. schools. My daughter goes to Mary C 'Obrion , it is a great elem. but has a waiting list.

Ama

Old 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,325,914 times
Not that Casa Grande is a total waste of your time. They may have a Rock & Roll Theme Park someday, complete with Mount Rockmore, which may have at least four (4) of the following faces, a la Mt Rushmore:

Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Little Richard, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Everly Brothers, Ritchie Valens, Connie Frances (list not all-inclusive)...

Hmmm... Maybe they'll find a way to include them all up there!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,684 times
Default Casa Grande??!!!

I lived near casa grande when I first moved to arizona from a small town in michigan a few years ago. If you don't know much about arizona DO NOT move there!! It is quite the barren place and pretty depressive. Not much to do at all. i believe they have one community college. no shopping whatsoever. they have a walmart and a small outlet mall thats alright. it is very desert and extremely hot in the summer, prob about 60s in the winter time!! no nightlife at all....maybe one or two run down bars. I have moved to a san diego suburb since then, but am currently in the process of moving back to az. Northern Az; pines areas (flagstaff, prescott)!!! That is the best part of arizona....absolutely beautiful.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,325,001 times
I really try not to get into the fights about which area is best on these boards, since each person's needs and desires differ, BUT I do get a little tired of everybody bashing a certain place (In this case CG, but I ve seen it about other places too) without accurate information.

For instance it is pretty clear the last poster (who moved to San Diego) hasnt been here in awhile.....shopping is now plentiful with the new mall and I just drove down Florence Blvd tonight and their is construction on practically every corner! That is not the only place it is going on either...the northern end of town along Pinal and McCartney is also starting to get going again although it did slow down because of the housing slowdown.

As for distance to Chandler/Phoenix? I drove from my house in Northern CG (McCartney Ranch) to the Ahwatukee shopping center last Monday evening and it took me exactly 30 mins door to door. When I went to pick up a friend from the airport a couple weeks ago on a Friday morning at 9 AM it took me UNDER 45 mins. Add 5 mins if you are a little further south into Casa Grande.

Now if there is a crash on I 10, yes its a mess.....but it doesnt happen that often, and I hear ALOT more traffic delays in the urban core of PHX metro than I do along I 10 south of Chandler. I think it takes longer to get to downtown PHX from East Mesa than it does from CG most of the time, yet I RARELY here anyone say that East Mesa is "out there". Yes, there is open land of the Gila River Reservation that makes the drive a little less "busy" on the eyes, but I find it nicer than a bunch of billboards.

The big difference that CG affords people is the PRICES OF HOUSES ARE LOWER! Most recent/new builds are going for about 60-75 bucks a square foot. That can pay for alot of gas if you are willing to drive....I dont think East Mesa or Anthem North is going that cheap, even with the downturn.

CG is still growing...there are several new schools opening including a new high school being built (drove by it tonite and looks about half done). The roads are being improved all the time...the city just bought about 20 acres on the north end of town for the next big community park. There is already a nice dog park, golf course, and lake park here now.

I hear people complain about safety.....just not true.....biggest problem in CG that the police deal with is, like most places, traffic!

Anyway, I dont mind the differing opinions, but at least know what you are saying....if you give correct information, and still dont like something about an area..that is fair to criticize.....but the exaggerations drive me crazy!!

CG has just about anything you may need in town now, BUT when you do need to get out to a bigger city its just not as far as people think....for the price its pretty good I think....oh, one other advantage....if you want you can drive the OTHER direction into Tucson from CG in about an hour.

Im done now.....thanks.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 PM

196 posts, read 749,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
I really try not to get into the fights about which area is best on these boards, since each person's needs and desires differ, BUT I do get a little tired of everybody bashing a certain place (In this case CG, but I ve seen it about other places too) without accurate information.

For instance it is pretty clear the last poster (who moved to San Diego) hasnt been here in awhile.....shopping is now plentiful with the new mall and I just drove down Florence Blvd tonight and their is construction on practically every corner! That is not the only place it is going on either...the northern end of town along Pinal and McCartney is also starting to get going again although it did slow down because of the housing slowdown.

As for distance to Chandler/Phoenix? I drove from my house in Northern CG (McCartney Ranch) to the Ahwatukee shopping center last Monday evening and it took me exactly 30 mins door to door. When I went to pick up a friend from the airport a couple weeks ago on a Friday morning at 9 AM it took me UNDER 45 mins. Add 5 mins if you are a little further south into Casa Grande.

Now if there is a crash on I 10, yes its a mess.....but it doesnt happen that often, and I hear ALOT more traffic delays in the urban core of PHX metro than I do along I 10 south of Chandler. I think it takes longer to get to downtown PHX from East Mesa than it does from CG most of the time, yet I RARELY here anyone say that East Mesa is "out there". Yes, there is open land of the Gila River Reservation that makes the drive a little less "busy" on the eyes, but I find it nicer than a bunch of billboards.

The big difference that CG affords people is the PRICES OF HOUSES ARE LOWER! Most recent/new builds are going for about 60-75 bucks a square foot. That can pay for alot of gas if you are willing to drive....I dont think East Mesa or Anthem North is going that cheap, even with the downturn.

CG is still growing...there are several new schools opening including a new high school being built (drove by it tonite and looks about half done). The roads are being improved all the time...the city just bought about 20 acres on the north end of town for the next big community park. There is already a nice dog park, golf course, and lake park here now.

I hear people complain about safety.....just not true.....biggest problem in CG that the police deal with is, like most places, traffic!

Anyway, I dont mind the differing opinions, but at least know what you are saying....if you give correct information, and still dont like something about an area..that is fair to criticize.....but the exaggerations drive me crazy!!

CG has just about anything you may need in town now, BUT when you do need to get out to a bigger city its just not as far as people think....for the price its pretty good I think....oh, one other advantage....if you want you can drive the OTHER direction into Tucson from CG in about an hour.

Im done now.....thanks.
Thanks for the first-hand info. I have been doing a lot of research, and we were planning to move to Florida when we sell our home. We finally decided on Arizona, (property tax, homeowners insurance, and RV-friendly). I found home prices to be so reasonable in Casa Grande that I was worried about the area. You have certainly relieved my mind. We are retired, so commuting to work is not an issue.

Thanks again.

iuki

Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 AM

687 posts, read 2,943,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
Thanks for the first-hand info. I have been doing a lot of research, and we were planning to move to Florida when we sell our home. We finally decided on Arizona, (property tax, homeowners insurance, and RV-friendly). I found home prices to be so reasonable in Casa Grande that I was worried about the area. You have certainly relieved my mind. We are retired, so commuting to work is not an issue.

Thanks again.

iuki
Retired, no commute? Smaller community close to big city shopping....try also Florence, Queen Creek areas. Newer affordable housing, especially foreclosures. Don't let the stigma of state prison affect you about Florence, no biggie. Queen Creek is farming community/land turned suburb.
No comment on Casa Grande, lived there once. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona