Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
I don't find the roads bad at all, but then again...I relocated from AL.

With regards to jobs...can't really help you there as you didn't specify what line of work you are in.

Propane...I have no clue. Sorry.

Come garage-saleing in Hereford and you can see some doosies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 22,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
You know...I always wondered about that. Is there like a fence across the boarder? LOL. The house we chose has a six foot brick/cement wall...and I have two dogs, so no problem with Juan jumping on in, I hope.
You are despicable. "Juan" jumping on in. Racist much? I live in So Cal where I teach at a school that is 98% Hispanic. Many of my students are from "illegal" families. Ever wonder WHY they are "jumping on" over? Try and be a little more understanding, and a little less judgemental. After all, we are all human beings.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the sun View Post
You are despicable. "Juan" jumping on in. Racist much? I live in So Cal where I teach at a school that is 98% Hispanic. Many of my students are from "illegal" families. Ever wonder WHY they are "jumping on" over? Try and be a little more understanding, and a little less judgemental. After all, we are all human beings.
Hold your horses here:

Maybe if the 'brown' Mexicans decided to stay in Mexico and fight for their rights---------many of us anti illegal immigrant people whould have more sympathy for the above.

The cold reality is that Mexico is White supremacist yet the 'morenitos' (little brown ones) do not have the 'heart' to demand their (well justified) rights. Take a look at a telenovela and find a Mestizo/Indian in a leading role----------yet the Mexican actors/actresses tend to have surnames like Klitbo (Danish) and Robinson (English).

Old 10-25-2008, 11:46 AM

383 posts, read 641,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the sun View Post
Settle down there...I was joking. I was born and raised in Huntington Beach CA and I'm far from being a racist. Like I said...I was joking.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 21,692 times
Default Sierra Vista

I think one of the best ways to learn about Sierra Vista is to read its local newspaper.
Sierra Vista Herald | The Bisbee Daily Review

Illegal immigration, tax rates, gang crimes, school board cuts, building a SuperWalmart, gasoline prices and the nearby military fort always make the local news.

The local (very conservative) radio station is KTAN, 1420 AM.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 37,584 times
Thinking about moving back to Sierra Vista area, been 20 years. What do you all mean about it being too cold in the winter? What temperatures or because of wind? What do you think about the heat is it hot and when is it the hottest? Thinking about visiting in August?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbryant View Post
Thinking about moving back to Sierra Vista area, been 20 years. What do you all mean about it being too cold in the winter? What temperatures or because of wind? What do you think about the heat is it hot and when is it the hottest? Thinking about visiting in August?
Sierra Vista weather

Aside from maybe the wind (which several posters have commented on) and the possible water shortages---------SV has arguably the best weather in Arizona factoring in the relatively slight differences between winter and summer temps

Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 AM

9 posts, read 21,692 times
It's been rather dry this winter. I hiked up Miller Peak two days ago and there was little snow. The scrub oaks looked drought-stricken despite some snow that fell over the Christmas holidays.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 37,584 times
Default Sierra Vista in 2009

Seems no one has been posting in awhile. We are looking to visit there this summer to see if this is the place to move and retire (although we are not at retirement age). We want to know how is the weather, what about schools, churches, the economy, and the people in general. Don't be afraid to be perfectly frank.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbryant View Post
Seems no one has been posting in awhile. We are looking to visit there this summer to see if this is the place to move and retire (although we are not at retirement age). We want to know how is the weather, what about schools, churches, the economy, and the people in general. Don't be afraid to be perfectly frank.
You may also want to look into the area where I bought retirement property (J-6 Ranchettes). Based on your earlier post about looking for a 1 acre lot that is not too isolated it may suit you - since J-6 Ranchettes lots are typically 1 acre (do NOT confuse J-6 Ranchettes with the more upscale J-6 Ranch development nearby - those are more upscale, with larger lots and higher expense).

Our land is 4 minutes from I-10 - and from there we are 10 minutes east to Benson (5,000 people - with a Safeway and a big Walmart) and 15 minutes west to Vail (where a lot of development has gone on) and roughly 40 minutes to downtown Tucson (1 million people with everything you need).

Since we sit at 4,200 feet we have roughly the same climate as SV - and bit cooler in the summer than Benson (which is at 3,500 feet or so). Average June high is 93, July is 91/92, and August is 88 so we're not too hot. Warmest day in the last 5 years is a single instance of 103 (last June) and generally we have just 3 100 days a year (generally just barely above 100). January highs average 59-60 with overnight lows typically just a bit above freezing. Because we are at the top of the crest of the gently rising ridge that runs between the Rincon and Little Rincon mountains to the north and the Whetstone mountains to the south we also tend to get a bit more rainfall than the areas either east or west of us - falling into the 16-20 inch a year belt. This makes us a little bit greener than areas to either side - still arid mind you, but more grassland (with some mesquite trees) than true desert. Again, this is similar to around SV.

According to a state study done just last year, we have "100 year" water supply, with the source of our aquifer being the Whetstone mountains to the south. Water table dept is generally a bit over 300 feet or so.

There is an online weather station in the development which I monitor every day - and which has historical data going back 5 years or so with readings typically every few minutes. This is where I got the temps I mentioned above. You may want to take a look:

Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Lots in J-6 Ranchettes typically have power and phone but you need to put in septic and a well. The homes there are mixed site-built (some VERY NICE) and manufactured (some newer, larger, and quite nice, some older, smaller, and not so nice). According to the paperwork on our land, we are in the Vail school district (which apparently has a good reputation) - but keep in mind that we neither live on the land (yet) nor do we have school aged kids so I have not verified that information. Note too, that our particular lot is just east of the Pima country/Cochise county line, so folks in other lots may be in the Benson school district. Personally I tend to think the entire development is probably in the Benson school district, but I can only quote what our property paperwork says.

Here are a few pictures of the development (take during the summer monsoon season - when it is the most green). The last 3 photos in the 1st row and the 1st photos in 2nd row are of J-6 Ranchettes.

Arizona (mostly July/August 2007) pictures from arizona photos on webshots

If interested, you may want to do a search of my posts - or on "J-6". I have posted a lot of info about the area.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona