Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times

Advertisements

The preparation needed for a relocation might depend on your situation in life.

If you are young and single then do what many of us did, just load your car and head out.

If you have a family depending on you then try to find a job that covers some of your relocation expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 AM

150 posts, read 457,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Well, I would think a serious soul searching is first. Sit down and make a list of all the "dream" places you would like to live and then break it down to pro's and con's on each place.

I have been doing my research to move for years. I can say one thing that is important is to travel to the various areas and stay for a few weeks to get a feel for it. Once you eliminate a few areas, go back and revisit the favorites a few times. Make sure you stay during the "extreme" season. So if you are considering AZ, don't just visit for a few days in January and think " Oh this is great". Try staying 3 weeks in August and see how you do.

Also, as someone else suggested, subscribe to the newspaper. I can't tell you how many we have subscribed to over the years. It does help get a better feel for the area.

I read as much as I can on City Data, Sperlings, etc. I ask questions, look at demographic studies compare taxes, insurance, employment, growth, auto registration,etc. Call the local Sheriff's dept. and ask them about the crime. Don't bother asking a realtor, they can't tell you anything negative.

I have found that City Data was a valuable tool. The people will answer any question, give great info, sources,etc.

Good luck
WOW, awesome idea in calling the Sheriff dept. Whom would i ask for and what do you really ask them?? I never thought of calling the Sheriff dept. I figured nobody could tell you that type of information.

Thank you very much! I look forward to your reply.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Default How do you get a newspaper(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Get the newspaper from where you want to relocate to--we did that when in Florida and it helps you get a feel of the place. Also, visit at least once and ride around--you have to get a feel for it yourself.
How would i obtain newspaper(s)? Would they actually mail it to me daily?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teepolo View Post
WOW, awesome idea in calling the Sheriff dept. Whom would i ask for and what do you really ask them?? I never thought of calling the Sheriff dept. I figured nobody could tell you that type of information.

I have provided crime stats for many, many people (I work for the Sheriff's Office)...if you have a certain area in mind, those statistics can be pulled and provided...BUT, remember that the Sheriff covers only the unincorpoarted areas. If you need stats on a particular city or town which has its own Police Department, you need to contact that entity for the information

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
You could do that, but an easier way would be to Google the Newspaper and the town(s) you're interested in. Almost all newspapers have an online edition now. For instance you can go to dcourier.com to access the Prescott Daily Courier. It's really a cheap, easy way to see the latest happenings, look at the classifieds for jobs, housing, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
When I lived in Florida, I went to a city newstand and just picked one up every few weeks for out here in Arizona. You could have it mailed, too(it'll arrive late, but for your purposes it would still be okay).

Check for on-line newspapers for the cities you're interested in or a major city nearby to where you want to scout out to live.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
PS I definitely agree with the other posts about spending as much time as possible visiting and exploring the area(s). When you visit a place, be sure and strike up conversations with the locals. You'd be surprised how willing most people are to talk about their town and the things they like best and the things they dislike. You'll also get a good idea of how friendly a town is by doing that.

As far as housing goes, when you're still in that initial phase and haven't narrowed down your choices, a good resource is Realtor.com. You can keep an eye on home prices in various towns. Also you can maybe eliminate some towns if the cost of housing is too high. Viewing the Virtual Tours on realtor.com can be helpful, too. Many VT's will also show"Views" and that way you can get a good idea of the terrain, etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:06 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Quote:

I'd actually try to find a marked patrol car, then approach the officer and flat out ask him where the bad areas of town were and where the areas were that he got the least amount of calls.
On the phone, you could try calling the main number for the city/county agency, then ask to speak to a watch commander or someone who could give you information on a particular area of town and crime stats there. If you got anyone who was a detective or a road patrol officer on the phone and they had time, I am sure if you named off some spots/streets, they'd tell you instantly how good/bad that area was. That's really a TRUE gauge of crime in the area, in my opinion. Papers leave out stuff and people who live in the area only know about their little microcosm of real estate--they may not have a clue about what is going on down the street (crack house, child molesters, etc.), but the cops always know.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I have provided crime stats for many, many people (I work for the Sheriff's Office)...if you have a certain area in mind, those statistics can be pulled and provided...BUT, remember that the Sheriff covers only the unincorpoarted areas. If you need stats on a particular city or town which has its own Police Department, you need to contact that entity for the information
esselcue,

I will be looking in the Queen Creek, Casa Grande, Chandler / Mesa areas. I do appreciate the offer of this information, if your able to retrieve it! I have a few other areas that i am considering but i guess we can start there if that is not too much of a problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
You could do that, but an easier way would be to Google the Newspaper and the town(s) you're interested in. Almost all newspapers have an online edition now. For instance you can go to dcourier.com to access the Prescott Daily Courier. It's really a cheap, easy way to see the latest happenings, look at the classifieds for jobs, housing, etc.
I did see someone else mention this yesterday and i am going to do a search online for newspapers in the areas i'm interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona