Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM

370 posts, read 439,156 times

Advertisements

Im looking to relocate from Michigan to either Texas or Arizona. Ive been to neither but it seems like these 2 states show a lot of promise.

If someone has been to both and can compare that would be great.

Heres what Im looking for

Somewhere affiordable (about 650 a month for rent if possible), Dont care how small as long as its nice and clean

Somewhere safe (Not into the whole gangbang thug life)

Somewhere I can find a job in IT (I do mostly Helpdesk, Admin type of work)

Somewhere that has things to do during the day and night. Things like shopping malls, Places to eat, Night clubs, etc...

Im a 36 year old white male with no kids

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,455,267 times
OP,
career builder and myRaytheon job sites i found to be most useful. plenty of jobs like you want, just not sure if the pay will be what you are expecting. also check with CSC (computer sciences corp).

Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

16 posts, read 46,505 times
When I was in the IT field, I had a relationship with TekSystems (IT Staffing and IT Recruiting Services from TEKsystems) who managed my contracts with certain firms. I preferred to stay on temporary assignment so I wouldn't end up stagnant in the field at one employer.

I'd contact Shanna at the Phoenix office. Tell her I sent you. Also, if you're able to afford $650 for rent, have you considered the prospect of purchasing an Apartment style condo conversion so you have some equity gained every month?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGriffith View Post
When I was in the IT field, I had a relationship with TekSystems (IT Staffing and IT Recruiting Services from TEKsystems) who managed my contracts with certain firms. I preferred to stay on temporary assignment so I wouldn't end up stagnant in the field at one employer.

I'd contact Shanna at the Phoenix office. Tell her I sent you. Also, if you're able to afford $650 for rent, have you considered the prospect of purchasing an Apartment style condo conversion so you have some equity gained every month?
i used TEK. almost took a job that they found for me, but it turned out they supposedly gave me the wrong info about the job (salary and hours was not what the job really was). TEK was not able to find what I was looking for. but they are ok to use .......

Old 10-07-2008, 05:12 PM

370 posts, read 439,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGriffith View Post

Thank You, I really appreciate that. Yes I have but unfortunately my money situation is somewhat limited. I plan on cashing out my IRA to cover living expenses until I get settled in. Ive been unemployed for over a year (Michigan) and have depleted my savings. Closing cost etc.. would be to expensive for right now.

If possible are there any areas you could recommend. Looking for something in a safe area. Size of the apartment does not matter(no kids,pets etc...) Just looking for a nice apartment thats in an area that has activities, malls,night life etc... Also Godaddy may have a job offer. They state they are in the Metropolitan Phoenix area (Scottsdale I think?) So it would be around that area.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM

551 posts, read 2,718,546 times
Use Career Builder and look in Chandler/Tempe/Mesa. There are many $10 per hour help desk jobs available there (lots of call centers that specialize in IT), and this is probably the only area on the east side where you can find a decent apartment for around $650 -- but that will be very difficult.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM

i'd move to/near Dallas instead of Phoenix. lots of tech going on there, more so then most of the country. try posting your same question in the texas/dallas forum and see the response....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona