U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 PM

526 posts, read 232,750 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of enrolling my kids in the AZVA (virtual academy) for the remainder of this year and then returning them to public school in the fall, and was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them or opinions?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,707 times
Thumbs up AZVA: two thumbs up!

I just enrolled my boys in AZVA (Arizona Virtual Academy) this last month. I was already homeschooling them here at home, but I looked into this school and it looked like something we would benefit from. I did lots of research before deciding to enroll and everything seemed to check out fine. All I can say is it is the best decision I have made for their education!! To enroll, the children take placement tests to determine just where they are academically. This means they get the right level of education they need and it's basically catered to them. They can go as fast or as slow as they want, unlike a public school setting. The teachers have awesome communication and are SO helpful. I truly believe that this is a wonderful education choice out there. It may not be a perfect fit for everyone, and I am not sure how it would work out being there's only a few months left, but like I said, I just enrolled as well. My experience so far, and remember I am a "newbie", is truly a positive one!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 PM

Thank you for your thoughts E_Tucker.

I just recently moved back to AZ and my children are very timid and scared to have to start school being the new faces around which I can totally relate to as I too had to deal with that from time to time when my father moved around. Being the new kid so late in a year always made me stand out like a sore thumb and it was usually much more difficult to feel comfortable enough to make friends.

So when the kids discovered that there was a virtual academy here and that they could possibly finish out their current year doing that and then return to public school next year they begged me to let them try it. I just wasn't sure what kind of school it was academically and wanted some opinions. Thank you again for taking the time to let me know your thoughts as ALL help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:30 AM

17,389 posts, read 20,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Dvl View Post
Thank you for your thoughts E_Tucker.

I just recently moved back to AZ and my children are very timid and scared to have to start school being the new faces around which I can totally relate to as I too had to deal with that from time to time when my father moved around. Being the new kid so late in a year always made me stand out like a sore thumb and it was usually much more difficult to feel comfortable enough to make friends.

So when the kids discovered that there was a virtual academy here and that they could possibly finish out their current year doing that and then return to public school next year they begged me to let them try it. I just wasn't sure what kind of school it was academically and wanted some opinions. Thank you again for taking the time to let me know your thoughts as ALL help is greatly appreciated.
AZVA is an option, of course. We moved around when I was a kid too and it was always tough. But we moved to small towns that had long-established cliques. Here, so many people come to this area that new kids in school, particulary in new neigborhoods, is the norm. Schools can double in enrollment in a single year. The ones in the classrooms are used to change. I know my daughter and her friends are always excited when new kids show up in the classroom. There is still a lot of school year left and maybe your children will have time to make some friends they can hang out with over the summer break if they enroll now.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 49,549 times
This is my first year of AZVA. I have 2 kids in AZVA. We love it!!! and so far after going on field trips, outings and park days and meeting probably around 50 families, I have only know one mom who returned her child to a public school and that was due to discipline problems at home. Everyone loves it! Go for it!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenol View Post
This is my first year of AZVA. I have 2 kids in AZVA. We love it!!! and so far after going on field trips, outings and park days and meeting probably around 50 families, I have only know one mom who returned her child to a public school and that was due to discipline problems at home. Everyone loves it! Go for it!
I DID decide to sign them up and so far so good! The kids are definitely relieved and who knows, we just may decide to stick with it this Fall as well. Time will tell!

Thank you for all of your help and opinions.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,782,056 times
Just out of curiosity, my 11 year old is having trouble in school, particularly in math. His teacher is a moron. She's mad at me for going to the principal and is pretty much takin oit out on my son and they won't let him transfer classes. How does the virtual academy work? Someone said something about field trips etc. do you have to go to the Phoenix area for this? We are in Bullhead City and I am just wondering if this would be good for him? I'm SICK of our schools. Actually, I really onlt have a problem with the junior high, but the over all schoold district leaves a lot to be desired!
Thanks for your info!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Someone said something about field trips etc. do you have to go to the Phoenix area for this?

I'm a little curious to know the answer to that one myself.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 AM

9 posts, read 49,549 times
check out the website http://www.azva.org/ lots of info. or go to one of the expo's or parent meetings or call the 800 phone number. my husband and i did this and asked about 30 questions... we had a list... i recommend that...other parents kinda looked at us sideways.. but you have to make an educated decision and its important to know the facts. There are outings all over the state.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 AM

107 posts, read 762,079 times
There's also www.connectionsacademy.com My 14yo is enrolled with them and likes it. The reason I chose them over AZVA is that for high school, AZVA requires specific log in times (or so they told me), and with Connections, he can do it when he wants to (not self-paced, but he doesn't have to sign in at certain times). This is the second year we've used them, and have been satisfied so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona