Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 96,922 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are thinking of relocating to Goodyear in the Community of Oasis at Canyon Trails by Centex Homes. We have 3 children 15,10,7 and would like all feed back we can get positive or negative.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 11:40 AM

38,971 posts, read 50,916,728 times
Have you been there yet? I can give you lots of info about Goodyear, but it would be helpful to know how familiar you are with the area already.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM

27 posts, read 96,922 times
Default Info please

Yes we have been to Goodyear twice this year already. We plan on moving to the area of Van Buren and Cotton in the community of Oasis at Canyon Trails by Centex homes. Only spent a little time around town but need to know more on the area.

Thank You

Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM

56 posts, read 297,954 times
Red face goodyear

Goodyear, is on the west side of phoenix, maricopa, buckey etc...trackhome after trackhome after trackhome. goodyear is a tire, I never understood how they could name a city after a tire.
Lots of people like the trackhomes, because they look nice inside.

I don't recommend Phoenix area at all. It is too dry, too hot, and the weather, which is alway sunshine, is simply boring.
Goodyear is not the best place, it is just one of these upcoming places.

I love Tuscon much better. you have better people there and it is better for families. There is also Casa Grande, which is kind of more the country. It depends, where you work etc. I recommend chandler and gilbert the east side more than this west side. Also check out mesa.

by the way, there is also on the westside a dangerour nuclear power station nearby.

I don't think anyone can love it there. Check out Anthem, this is also a better place, and maybe a bit cooler and better air. People love it there, especially families.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 AM

38,971 posts, read 50,916,728 times
OK, here's some Goodyear info.

The city is named after the Goodyear Tire company. Goodyear had big cotton farms in the area to provide materials for tire cords. Litchfield Park nearby was named for a Goodyear exectutive. Goodyear no longer operates the farms, but the name stuck. Goodyear Aerospace also built a full size airport (runway) here. It is not used commercially, but there are big planes there being refurbished. You can safely ignore the rest of the above post as rubbish! I have lived in Goodyear for over 10 years arriving here just as the boom began. I have lived in AZ my entire adult life, 35 years or so.

Goodyear began to boom about 10 years ago and got really intense in the last five years. It is one of the fastest, if not the fastest growing town in Arizona at the moment. Only a fraction of the city area is developed and growth will continue for maybe 10-20 years until population is several hundred thousand (ugh!).

It is about 20 miles from downtown Phoenix at the closest point. The city limits run from Luke airbase south all the way down toward Maricopa and the city planning area (potential annexation) is even larger going all the way to I-8 south of Phoenix.

Goodyear is an affluent burb and makes no bones that it intends to develop as a high end community. Their are several master planned communities. Estrella Mountain Ranch to the south is the tony one with the highest prices, best views and amenities - but no commercial. Others are Pebble Creek and, of course, Canyon Trails. Both of these latter are targeted to middle to upper middle income families.

As a new city, everything is new. Most of it was built in the last two or three years. All the schools your children might attend are new. Desert Edge is the high school serving that area. It was a cotton field a couple years ago.

When I came here there was virtually no commercial development. Today, there are strip malls with just about everything you could want within 5 miles of Canyon Trails. And if it is not there now it will be in 5 more years. The pace of commercial development is staggering and far faster than it was in Ahwatukee where I lived for a long time. Later this year they are breaking ground on a regional mall at Estrella and I-10. The plans were just revealed this week and it is to be an open air mall. This is the style today for various reasons, though I am a little skeptical because of the heat. Other big things going in include a spring training stadium at Estrella and Buckeye (Cleveland Indians) and an education park, for lack of a better term, that will bring together a number of private colleges on a common campus. This may be more in the dream stage yet. There is a community college a couple miles away at Dysart and Thomas in Avondale.

The schools in Goodyear are good to excellent. The highest rated ones are in EMR. The EMR schools get the better marks on state testing. EMR is in a different district than most of Goodyear and it has been around for a longer time so the population is more stable. That helps when it comes to taking tests that the raters love to look at when judging a school. I do have both relatives and friends who have kids attending the schools in Canyon Trails area and they are satisfied. Their kids seem as well-educated as mine who attends a school with the state's top rating. I think you and your kids will be very pleased. Also, to set their minds at ease a bit, because of the growth there are new kids coming in every week. So they won't stick out like sore thumbs in a new environment and if they are friendly they will quickly be assimilated.

Crime: Everywhere in Phoenix has property crime - house burglaries and car window busting stuff. Violent crime is rare outside certain areas. Canyon Trails is not one of those. Stats are not published for Goodyear (at least that I have seen) but the city tells us in the city newsletter that crime is very low here. I believe it. I have never heard of anyone in EMR that has been a crime victim and my relatives and friends in Goodyear never even mention crime - violent or property. It's not something I would be concerned about.

Traffic: This is something to be concerned about and what people do talk about. Every major street in Goodyear is torn up right now to add lanes, traffic lights or whatever. It is the cost of growth. The freeway is a parking lot during rush hours. You are better off where you are than further west in Buckeye as the traffic mess is caused by having only two freeway lanes up to/from Dysart Road. There are plans to widen the freeway next year, but more people are coming daily so it may not matter. Plan on 45-50 minutes to the airport during rush hour. As long as you don't go do something dumb like get a job in Mesa, you probably will get to work in 45 minutes or less. And that is really not a bad commute around here anymore. Other wise having I-10 and the Loop 303 going through the city make it pretty easy to get around.

Goodyear taxes and government: Goodyear takes a knock for having higher overall taxes than the other cities. I think that is true but we are talking only a couple dollars a year. The water rates are higher, too, mostly because of sewer costs and how they figure them. The trash rates are higher but the service beats anything in any valley city. We have weekly bulk pickup where everyone else has quarterly. Bulk is things like washing machines and tree branches. This weekly pickup may be the best reason for living here! The city government is well run though they may be a little too much in the pockets of developers (all of the cities here are guilty of that). They have a very nice recreational program that has classes etc cheap. The city and several groups have youth and adult sports leagues for every sport you can think of. There is also a new YMCA center near where you are moving. They have summer programs for kids.

OK. I'm going to cut it off there for now. If you have specific things you want to know about, just reply and I'll do my best to answer.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,486 times
Do you know anything about Pebble Creek?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

894 posts, read 2,191,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrfd725 View Post
Yes we have been to Goodyear twice this year already. We plan on moving to the area of Van Buren and Cotton in the community of Oasis at Canyon Trails by Centex homes. Only spent a little time around town but need to know more on the area.

Thank You
I remember when that area was all desert. Wonderful, beautiful, natural, Sonoran Desert. The only thing there was the Moose Lodge, the Oasis Country bar, (I had a girl break up with me there, Lol,) and the abandoned dog track that is still there. That used to be a hot spot to drag race. Straight, no stop signs. you could see for a mile in each direction. I miss those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona