Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
All I can says is that I'm sorry to hear this. Yeah, it'll be dry as hell, boring as hell, and sure as the sky is bright, hot as hell. Let me just tell you it's december 15, 2008 at 10pm and the current temp is 59F.
Average Weather for Yuma, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation That ain't no winter...you can imagine what the summer is like. No clouds EVEr my friend, so I hope you got a good set of shades.

It's not a place people choose to go, okay. Just try and live through it the best you can and get out as soon as you can. Get a humidfier for you will need this year round, or risk the dry nasal caivty issue every morning with occasional nose bleeds. It ain't pretty I'm just telling you. Be careful for sun scorpions (if you ain't from here, it'll be the scariest thing you'll ever see) and real scorpions (real scorpions are dangeours, esp for babies) in general, expesially if you rent a house. I'm just telling you. We also got black widows, so make sure you don't stack antying in the corner of a wall...like the patio or something. Good thing is that they stay outside, unlike scorpions.

IF you do get scorpions issues pull your bed away from the wall, and keep your shoes on a shoe rack. They're nocturnal making things matters worse.

WE HAVE A WIDE VARIETY OF REPTILES THAT CHANGES WEEKLY (http://pages.prodigy.net/mikevc/_wsn/page4.html - broken link)

I'm not trying to sugarcoat it for you...i'm an arizona native, so I know what I'm taling about.
you are so right, and i lived in wellton for 5 months i didnt have widows but we had huge tranchulas probably spelled wrong but you know what i mean huge furry spiders! hated it! not to mention the horrific smell wellton has to offer, we left quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM

see i cant agree with you on the pool thing, we had one and the water is like bath water, i belong to a gym here and started swimming there in april and by august i had to stop, not only was the water uncomfortably hot i got dizzy being out in the heat, its horrible. so we went to the "yuma beaches" which really is the colorado river, we went there in august, and not only where we sick from the heat the water was warm too! after i got in it after a few minutes my legs started to burn, i thought what the heck is wrong with this water? so i looked up what is in it, well turns out we have rocket fuel and uranium in the colorado river, i dont know if that is why my legs were burning but that is just gross. i wont ever go back. basically you have to stay indoors for about 6 months. also you will see so many people here covering their windows with tin foil! sheets and other things to keep the sun out, i hate that, i want to open my windows in the summer.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM

oh also if you are looking to rent please check under the sinks and bathrooms when you look at places, most places have roaches and i mean big ones, even the hotels have them. we had to stay in a hotel before moving here and we looked at all the hotels down 4th ave and all have roaches, we finally stayed in the motel 6 its nice and clean. we are fortunate to have found a house with no roaches.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:28 AM

19 posts, read 100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckc333 View Post
MARKBALL - you said that you are a nurse and want to move to Ky? Louisville is a great place to live! (just be sure you know how to say it the correct way - its not pronounced the way its spelled) My husband and I are from Owensboro, KY - its a great town too, but its not as big. We usually have to drive to either Louisville or Nashville, TN to do any good kind of shopping. But its a great place to raise a family. All in all, KY is wonderful, everyone is generally so nice and warm - it has a great sense of southern hospitality (something I miss dearly being here in DC)
Do you know anything about the CRNA program at Midwestern? I was looking it up online. What kind of rep do they have? Is it pretty competitive to get in there?
I don't know anything about the CRNA programs here in AZ. I really had no interest in standing/sitting in an OR all day/half the night so I never pursued that course of nursing. I concentrated on LTC Skilled nursing & have done most everything in the LTC industry.

I have thought about becoming a Nurse Practitioner, but the areas here seem to want to pay most NP's minimum wages. I was actually earning nearly as much as a NP working as a Director of Nursing. And I had about the same responsibilities. So I've put that on hold too.

We are thinking of moving to the northern KY area mainly because the grandkids will be in that area. Louisville would be considered about as far east we would like to go as it's close to Ft Knox (daughter/son-in-law & grandkids) plus our other daughter & grandkids are in Indiana close to Bloomngton.

Having grown up in southeast Nebraska on a farm I'm fully aware of how rough winters can be in the mid west. Looking at the weather patterns in KY, they seem milder, but still get some winter weather i.e. snow, ice, cold. But it looks like it doesn't reach the -20 to -30 temps for long periods of time.

We shall see what the job market provides. I have to have a job before we move or we don't move.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Another thing I just thought of. Check out yuma apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist on Craigslist, for housing needs. You can find rentals there, either apartments or single family homes. There is also a link to real estate for sale, among other things.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
oh also if you are looking to rent please check under the sinks and bathrooms when you look at places, most places have roaches and i mean big ones, even the hotels have them. we had to stay in a hotel before moving here and we looked at all the hotels down 4th ave and all have roaches, we finally stayed in the motel 6 its nice and clean. we are fortunate to have found a house with no roaches.
I know and they are like 2 inches long! Gross! I think they come from the sewers.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
see i cant agree with you on the pool thing, we had one and the water is like bath water, i belong to a gym here and started swimming there in april and by august i had to stop, not only was the water uncomfortably hot i got dizzy being out in the heat, its horrible. so we went to the "yuma beaches" which really is the colorado river, we went there in august, and not only where we sick from the heat the water was warm too! after i got in it after a few minutes my legs started to burn, i thought what the heck is wrong with this water? so i looked up what is in it, well turns out we have rocket fuel and uranium in the colorado river, i dont know if that is why my legs were burning but that is just gross. i wont ever go back. basically you have to stay indoors for about 6 months. also you will see so many people here covering their windows with tin foil! sheets and other things to keep the sun out, i hate that, i want to open my windows in the summer.
Swimming here isn't much fun in the summer. The water is too hot. If I wanted a bath, I would filll up my bathtub. At least I can fill up my bathtub with cold water. I think they need pool coolers here instead of heaters. I ask the same question about the water. The tap water here tastes terrible. I don't even know if a water filter would help. I refuse to go swimming in the river. I would be afraid I would be glowing in the dark afterward if you know what I mean. I also wonder what is wrong with the air here. I keep reading all these articles about Yuma receiving a B for air quality, but why do so many people have asthma here? I developed bad asthma here myself. I have even nearly stopped breathing on several occasions. I think the city officials here would rather not inform anyone of the actual pollution that goes on here.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
you are so right, and i lived in wellton for 5 months i didnt have widows but we had huge tranchulas probably spelled wrong but you know what i mean huge furry spiders! hated it! not to mention the horrific smell wellton has to offer, we left quickly
Wellton has a horrible smell. Kind of like sh#$. Between the smell of crap(literally) and the god awful stinch from the farming living in Wellton is pretty unbearable. I suffered through it for 8 months. Even worse than Yuma.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Swimming here isn't much fun in the summer. The water is too hot. If I wanted a bath, I would filll up my bathtub. At least I can fill up my bathtub with cold water. I think they need pool coolers here instead of heaters. I ask the same question about the water. The tap water here tastes terrible. I don't even know if a water filter would help. I refuse to go swimming in the river. I would be afraid I would be glowing in the dark afterward if you know what I mean. I also wonder what is wrong with the air here. I keep reading all these articles about Yuma receiving a B for air quality, but why do so many people have asthma here? I developed bad asthma here myself. I have even nearly stopped breathing on several occasions. I think the city officials here would rather not inform anyone of the actual pollution that goes on here.
thats so true bluebelt, i never in my life had asthma til i moved here in 2004. the air is horrible here, my husband has chronic sinusitus and cant get rid of it. i have been told by some older people that have been here awhile that they use pesticides that are not legal on the crops such as agent orange on the cotton fields. i had a lady come in and tell me that they bought a house next to a cotton field and they put thier dog outside a few weeks later it died. they got another dog same thing happened. after the third dog died, they wanted to sue the farmers. i dont know what happened cause i stopped working there. if you look towards the west you can see the smog in the air on most days. i am sure that the asthma is from the pesticides and all the spraying they do here. i know that the water has way too much chlorine in it. everyone will tell you not to drink tap water here that is why we have so many water stations i have never seen anything like that in my life lol.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM

They spray at night via either plane or helicopter. We happen to live right above the fields off Araby road toward Hwy 95.

I remember reading somewhere - don't ask me where, I can't remember - and they do a lot of the tilling/spraying/fertilizing at night to help the air quality. I guess they figure the air is heavier & less wind, so it doesn't blow as badly.

I grew up on a farm in Nebraska where we had crops, pasture & cows. Some of the stuff they use here in AZ/CA............. I have no idea if it's legal or not. I've never heard of some of this stuff. And I doubt it could be used in Nebraska.

I don't have a problem with asthma, but do have some allergies here. I've never had a problem before, but here I get a plugged nose more often than I did in the Midwest. Maybe it's because it never freezes hard enough or long enough to kill off the pollens & spores. I've heard that's part of "Valley Fever", but haven't researched it enough to know much about it.

I still love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona