Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times

Advertisements

LordB,
Yep. And the neat thing is working up here on the Fort. I am at the "top" geographically, in the historic buildings. The elevation at the parade field says 5000' and we get the snow flurries and storms that town misses. Beautiful area. Undoubtably the most origional of Arizonas historic places, restoration has made the buildings identical to old photographs.
When you look out across the high desert towards Tombstone and realize Geronimo, Earp, all the legends good, bad or untrue that rode across this area....gives you a chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
LordB,
Yep. And the neat thing is working up here on the Fort. I am at the "top" geographically, in the historic buildings. The elevation at the parade field says 5000' and we get the snow flurries and storms that town misses. Beautiful area. Undoubtably the most origional of Arizonas historic places, restoration has made the buildings identical to old photographs.
When you look out across the high desert towards Tombstone and realize Geronimo, Earp, all the legends good, bad or untrue that rode across this area....gives you a chill.
Indeed - not to mention that the views are flat-out breathtaking. When we drove south out of SV and made the turn east towards Bisbee etc, the view across the valley (and south into the mountains of Mexico) just stunned us and we HAD to pull over and take in the view.

You can see FOREVER from that spot.
WOW!

Ken

PS - We were also fortunate to pass through SV right after a rain and got a great view of the huge waterfall south of the city cascading down the mountainside. Between the shrouding clouds, the lush green backdrop of the mountainside (we where there during the monsoon season) and the sparkling waterfall, I had a brief flash of being back on the northshore of Kauai for a moment. VERY VERY COOL INDEED.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM

228 posts, read 594,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Tucson.

I second that.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
We(Sierra Vista)have a small handful of days that touch 100' in the summer, less than 5 usually. Our monsoon starts right around July 4th and goes thru mid/late August. It is a true monsoon, not just threats of rain followed by dust storms. And to watch a storm roll on over the Huachucas, Thunder Mountain...beautiful!
On the winter side, yes, we will see nighttime lows in the high 20's, occasional low20's even a high teen perhaps. A snow once a winter, usually gone within hours. Daytime highs in the winter...anywhere from low 50's to high 60's.The plus side is you know that the advancing summer is not going to be a killer and last until Thanksgiving.
Cheaper than Sedona, oh yeah!!! You can check the paper, svherald.com or a local realtor like Long Realty. Houses are coming down in price, and of course you can always find a cowboy mansion(doublewide on a acre)for less than 100thou.
Artsy stuff...maybe a bit lean. But only 20 minutes from Bisbee, 70 miles from Tucson. Several art fairs and art walks, etc... History...lots of it. Get a vehicle pass for the Fort and spend days wandering the buildings, museums and surrounding area. I'm sitting in buildings built around 1873 right now, stone walls about 24" thick, handhewn rafters overhead, pics I've seen show Indian Teepees just to the north of me 300yds circa 1880. I am heading over to a warehouse shortly, will be working under the trap door that opened for the last time in 1943, executing a soldier for murder. And later today I will deliver tombstones to the old Fort cemetery, established in 1873. In the upper corner is the grave of that soldier, just a name and date of death, separate from the other graves, he and another soldier executed in 1942 lay side by side, no story, no rank.
Check us out down here. A well kept secret. Ask 5 people today if they know where Sierra Vista is...most will think it's a suburb of Scottsdale.
what about jobs?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
what about jobs?
Yes, there are some. Not as many as 1 year ago, but still good opportunities. Check the svherald.com and azworkforce connection by city or county. Good jobs on the Fort too with contractors, or government if you're a vet/spouse of a vet.
What fields ???

Old 12-13-2008, 08:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Do any of you have any interesting places to recommend to a single late 40's gal that is warmer than Sedona, cooler than Phoenix. Schools and jobs are not necessary, but I would like immenities, friendly people, and things to do. I tend to like artsy places and historic towns but that is by no means necessary. A lower cost of livng (than Sedona - which shouldn't be hard) would be great. I don't own real estate here and would like to.
The Verde Valley, all the towns surrounding Sedona are a lower elevation thus higher temps. Other suggestions like the Tucson area sound good.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The Verde Valley, all the towns surrounding Sedona are a lower elevation thus higher temps. Other suggestions like the Tucson area sound good.
All of the Verde Valley is Climate Zone 8 at the highest.

Cochise County is mostly Zone 8 although parts of Sierra Vista may indeed be Zone 9.

Tucson is Zone 9 and the Phx area is (mostly) Zone 10

Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM

345 posts, read 466,682 times
Only thing to do is come visit Sierra Vista, the Verde Valley, etc. Investigate, investigate, investigate. If you really like a place you visit out here, rent for awhile to see all the seasons. Please don't let anyone convince you that it's a good time to buy here in Arizona. The deals will be with buyers right through 2009. Come say hi in Jerome and have a bite at the Flatiron. All the best luck in making your change in location work out for you.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I actually live in Sedona and wish the winters were warmer...do you live in Jerome? I LOVE it there however don't think I would move there (but who knows). I also love the Flatiron Cafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
Only thing to do is come visit Sierra Vista, the Verde Valley, etc. Investigate, investigate, investigate. If you really like a place you visit out here, rent for awhile to see all the seasons. Please don't let anyone convince you that it's a good time to buy here in Arizona. The deals will be with buyers right through 2009. Come say hi in Jerome and have a bite at the Flatiron. All the best luck in making your change in location work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona