U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM

24 posts, read 57,889 times
Default WE'RE HERE! From PA to Glendale

Hi everyone! Posted awhile ago that my husband accepted a job in Scottsdale and we've been living here about a week. So far we like it. Kinda hard getting used to the traffic, although I haven't even driven yet! Still it's sometimes scary just being a passenger!

We haven't had any time to do fun things yet - moved in last weekend & my husband started work already on Monday. So I've been stuck in the house unpacking! So far we've really enjoyed the weather - we came from snow & ice so even the cooler days here are an improvement for us.

We are renting a home in North Glendale and there's a nice park nearby to walk our dog. The area we're in seems really nice & safe! We also have a view of the mountains which makes me happy! Still not sure what the mountains around here are called????!!!!!

We've tried out quite a few grocery stores - Bashas (some of their items are a little pricey). AJ's Purveyors of Fine Foods (only going here for specialty items -NOT regular grocery shopping) and so far the best deals we've found are at Safeway. My husband's coworkers suggested Frys & Albertsons. Any feedback on these?

Been too busy to cook dinner so we've enjoyed the different fast food places & what we refer to as "better" fast food - such as Baja Fresh, Taco Del Mar, and In & Out Burger. Back in PA our fast food choices are Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers, & KFC no matter what city you go to! Oh and how about Subway which happens to be everywhere. Don't get me wrong - I like Subway but where I came from there's one on every corner. And it seemed to be our only choice at times in NM & AZ on our cross country trip w/ the animals (3 cats & dog).

Well hopefully as time progresses my husband & I will discover all the area has to offer. Also excited to explore Scottsdale - took a drive up there the other day to see where he worked and there's lots of shopping!

This is a great board & I'll probably keep referring to it for information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 PM

401 posts, read 1,668,233 times
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it! Let us know how it continues to go.....

Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 PM

1,526 posts, read 4,056,040 times
I'd definitely rate Safeway best among the traditional supermarket chains. Of course, it all depends on which location you visit, but I generally find Safeway nicer than Fry's or Albertson's. Basha's is my least favorite supermarket because the company has closed so many stores in my neighborhood, resulting in blighted, empty shopping centers.

One other grocery choice to keep in mind is Trader Joe's. It's a fun and offbeat store with lots of interesting items from around the world. Most people use it on a supplementary basis, but for me, it's the main grocery store. There's a location near you on Bell Rd. near the Arrowhead Mall.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,875,243 times
It's great to hear you like it so far!

I also live in N. Glendale and love it up here. My bf works in N. Scottsdale, but is hating the commute lately. He can work closer to home if he chooses.

I really don't have that many favorites with regards to grocery stores. We like AJ's for their salad bar and hot foods. We shop mostly at the Fry's at 67th ave and Happy Valley. It's ok. Or Safeway. Ocassionally at Walmart at I-17. Albertsons have nice looking stores, but tend to be pricey.

What are your major crossroads? Are you living in Arrowhead Ranch? I love that area. I'm up near 39th ave and Happy Valley. I think it's a really nice place to live up here in the general area, with all the mountains and views.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 PM

8,477 posts, read 10,566,795 times
Welcome to AZ. Some of the best little spots to eat are over on 83rd, south of Bell. There is a "restaurant row" with Cheesecake Factory (my favorite), Elephant Bar (worth looking at the interior decor), Big Dave's BBQ, and if you want a very good steak dinner, Firebirds. There is also a big cinema right in the middle of the restaurants. For a really nice breakfast, there is a Mimi's on Bell not far from you. Trader Joes is fun and so is World Market. W.Mkt has many different little food items from all over the world and they also have a nice, exotic choice of furniture. World Market also has a wonderful selection of wine as well. AJ's does as well, but more money. We usually shop at Costco and Fry's and on occasion for cheap coffee pods, WalMart. Walmart is hard to beat for canned goods.
It is also fun to tour the different communities to see what the builders are up to. Vistancia just made the number one master planned community again this year. Estrella Mt. is fun but would be quite a drive from Scottsdale. We also liked Arrowhead Ranch, built out, but some great homes. West Wing Mountain Ranch is nice, Sonoran Mt. Ranch up 67th in the foothills is also very nice. Come and see Vistancia, there is a park in the middle that is public and you can tour the model home center while you are here.
Hope you have as much fun as we did on our arrival.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:53 PM

24 posts, read 57,889 times
Thanks for all the tips & places to check out.

Sablebaby - we are off of 67th Avenue and near Deer Valley Rd in Hillcrest Ranch development. The development is near Copper Creek elementary.

We haven't been here long but we decided a few days in that when we go to buy (which we must do in less than a yr. b/c my husband has assistance from his company) we'd like to live in this same general area. I'm assuming this will not be a problem as there are many homes/communities here.

Only thing is it would be nice to know what these homes are going for. There's a few for sale in our neighborhood & when we pick up flyers outside of the houses - there's no prices listed. Back in PA whenever there was a flyer there was almost always a price! All we know is that this house was on the market back in Oct. 06 for $280K so if the houses are in that range when we start looking in about 4-6 months we should be okay.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,875,243 times
We almost bought a home in the Tanoan subdivision, across the street. It's a nice area! Your area is from $255k-550k (I just looked it up).

Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM

11,062 posts, read 9,357,431 times
Welcome to Arizona. I moved from NY to Sedona in 1996, and never looked back!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 PM

301 posts, read 469,076 times
Default Welcome!

Welcome to Arizona! I, too, live in Glendale and really like it. We used to live further north, but moved further south in order to shorten our commutes as hubby works in the Camelback corridor and I'm downtown. We are in Marbrisa Ranch, right across the street from the Main Library and Saguaro Ranch Park, and love it. It is an in-fill development. When you get settled in, drive down on a Saturday and see historic Saguaro Ranch Park, along with the peacocks and rose gardens. There are lots of art shows and various festivals there so watch the calendar. Also, be sure to come shop in downtown Glendale and check out all the antique stores and the Caitlin Court shops. My favorite shop is the Cottage Garden, which is in an old house, as are many of the shops. Plan to have lunch downtown too -- The Spicery is in an old house. Bitzee Mama's is across the town square from the library and city hall and is popular with the local politicians and downtown employees. If you need ordinary stuff for your house, check out your local BIG LOTS store for lots of housewares and everything else under the sun. Be sure your dog gets plenty of water as the temperature starts to warm up -- ditto for you!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:31 AM

78 posts, read 293,817 times
Small world...I was born and raised in PA (just outside of Pittsburgh), and lived in Hillcrest for several years. I recently moved away from that area about a year and a half ago, although my teenagers still wish we lived there.

Welcome to North Glendale, and hope you are finding what you're looking for as far as restaurants and grocery stores, etc. Just remember, half the fun is finding new places on your own!

One eatery recommendation...Uncle Sam's on 83rd Ave north of Union Hills. Great sandwiches, Philly cheesesteaks, hoagies, pizza, strombolis, wings...(getting hungry as I'm typing this). Good place for all ages.

Last edited by monsoon74; 03-02-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona