Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,902 times

Advertisements

Hello Good folks,
My name is Brian. Recently I was offered employment at Arizona State Prison near Kingman. A transplant from Los Angeles, I currently live in Conway, AR. Perusing the various Kingman threads has been helpful. I am hoping one of you can offer information specific to the prison itself. Where would you consider to be the most efficient area to live (proximity)? Given the chioce, I'd like to live at the highest elevation possible. It is my dream to one day live either in the Flagstaff, or Santa Fe, NM areas. As it stand, I am scheduled to begin 1/20. Does anyone think it will prove difficult traveling through the high country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinalski View Post
Hello Good folks,
My name is Brian. Recently I was offered employment at Arizona State Prison near Kingman. A transplant from Los Angeles, I currently live in Conway, AR. Perusing the various Kingman threads has been helpful. I am hoping one of you can offer information specific to the prison itself. Where would you consider to be the most efficient area to live (proximity)? Given the chioce, I'd like to live at the highest elevation possible. It is my dream to one day live either in the Flagstaff, or Santa Fe, NM areas. As it stand, I am scheduled to begin 1/20. Does anyone think it will prove difficult traveling through the high country?
It could but the roads are kept pretty clear. We came back to NM from Dallas on Christmas day last year. It was a nightmare. We spent the night in Amarillo Tx. Instead of it taking us 5 hours from there to home it tooks us 9, but other times we have driven from Alburquerque to Laughlin through bad storms in Gallop, Winslow and Flagstaff, hardly slowing down. I would allow an extra day or so, just to be on the safe side.

Nita

Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 29 days ago)

13,152 posts, read 21,686,930 times
The prison is out in the desert aways where it's pretty flat and low. Closest residential areas are Golden Valley, Yucca and Kingman. Yucca is pretty course, not much shopping or much of anything there. You can buy mountain acreage there, but you're on your own for water, and possibly electricity. Golden Valley is a little less course, but still very rural. Depends on what you want really. If you really wanted to live in the mountains, I'd recommend one of the communities on Mt. Hualapai in Kingman. It's beautiful up there and you'll have elk and deer in your yard most likely (coyotes too). It does snow up there during winter some times, and that could mess up your commute when it happens. You'd be looking at 40 minutes to the prison depending on where on Hualapai you move. Futher down in the city of Kingman, you're probaby talking 20 or 30 minutes to the prison, depending on how close to the I40 you live. Choices. Lot of choices.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 13,902 times
Thank you guys for the fast replies! I didn't even have time to refresh my coffee!!! Ha!
I am excited at the opportunity of moving West. When i "fled" LA, it was on Greyhound with only $5.00 and a month's paid rent. It looks like I might be heading back in similar fashion. The tires on the old ride are worn no less thin than the follicles on this old head. Having driven I40 back home several times, I am concerned about crossing the mountains in the dead of Winter. I may contact my HR to arrange a start date later in the year. I was talking to a friend of mine about what the displace of the dust bowl/depression years must have overcame during those desperate emigrations. If 66 could talk.... well perhaps Steinbeck provided her a voice.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,990,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinalski View Post
Thank you guys for the fast replies! I didn't even have time to refresh my coffee!!! Ha!
I am excited at the opportunity of moving West. When i "fled" LA, it was on Greyhound with only $5.00 and a month's paid rent. It looks like I might be heading back in similar fashion. The tires on the old ride are worn no less thin than the follicles on this old head. Having driven I40 back home several times, I am concerned about crossing the mountains in the dead of Winter. I may contact my HR to arrange a start date later in the year. I was talking to a friend of mine about what the displace of the dust bowl/depression years must have overcame during those desperate emigrations. If 66 could talk.... well perhaps Steinbeck provided her a voice.
Where you will be working seldom or never receives snow.........maybe 1-3" a year due to is ca. 2,800' elevation.

Kingman proper is about 3,300' and will get avg. 6" of snow.

Hualapai Mountains just S of Kingman city range up to ca. 8,000' and there are residential communities there like Atherton, etc.

Note I had lived on and off in Mohave County from 2000-06 and am presently here in the Phx area.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,077 times
ADOT generally keeps I-40 looking pretty good. check out this link www.az511.com we have cameras all along I 40 that you can view on this website.
If driving in the white stuff that is currently falling here in Kingman drive during daylight hours so the ice can melt off. Black ice in the black of night is not a good combo.
Walnut Creek estates is your closest community to the prison but with the doubling the size of it anything out there maybe taken already.
Chloride sorta sits next to Cerbat peak but at a lower elevation. So-Hi would have possibilities as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM

687 posts, read 2,939,007 times
Since you are looking for something similar to Santa Fe....the only prison locale in Arizona that even comes close would be Winslow. Prison is located about 2 miles south of town, about 1 hour from Flagstaff, affordable housing, colder than Flag alot of times in the winter.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 24,682 times
Brian - Let me tell you this.... go east young man, go east. Keep you ambitions, work this job in Kingman and keep you options open to move to Flag or Winslow. You definitely dont want to be stuck in Kingman. If your professional ethics are high, if you stay you'll find you'll be compromising your personal values as well. The corruption among law enforcement officers will wiggle its way into the prison enviornment and you might just hate what you've become when it comes to looking in the mirror each day. Its the law of the west and Mohave County has its own. Be careful. Keep you enemies close and your friends closer.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 29 days ago)

13,152 posts, read 21,686,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpySeal View Post
Brian - Let me tell you this.... go east young man, go east. Keep you ambitions, work this job in Kingman and keep you options open to move to Flag or Winslow. You definitely dont want to be stuck in Kingman. If your professional ethics are high, if you stay you'll find you'll be compromising your personal values as well. The corruption among law enforcement officers will wiggle its way into the prison enviornment and you might just hate what you've become when it comes to looking in the mirror each day. Its the law of the west and Mohave County has its own. Be careful. Keep you enemies close and your friends closer.
This post sounds like it was written by somebody who has an axe to grind with the Kingman PD. Care to elaborate?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM

229 posts, read 652,844 times
Hey there Kdog. I have to agree with you on the axe to grind on Kingman. If the man wants to move to kingman and have a job in the system let it be it. It will be up to him where he wants to live and work. I will still move to Kingman and he won't stop me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona