Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 AM

17 posts, read 43,030 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the great info thus far. I had forgotten about the Sedona area, I'll add that to my little list. I know it seems like a long time in the future to start looking now, but I plan on visiting in the meantime and I can get ideas to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Ohio and Arizona are polar opposites, if you're looking for a duplicate of your Ohio town, you will not find it.
Heh, well my village and OH are pretty much polar opposites too, even if it is practically in the center of the state. YS is a very liberal, progressive, artsy, hippy, type community. I moved here from Cincinnati because it matched my values much more so than any other place in OH. Which is also why Dave Chappelle moved here when he left Comedy Central. So I'm trying to find somewhere with that kind of slant.

I'm still willing to hear about other areas, or more in depth on any of the previously mentioned ones if anyone has anything to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM

219 posts, read 506,587 times
I spent the better part of my childhood in Phoenix, 89' to 05'. I'll try to give you a well rounded unbiased unopinionated view so that you can make your own decision.

Flagstaff
Flagstaff is great. If I had to move back to Arizona this is where I'd move to. I'm a big mountain sports person so I love Flag. It's beautiful, green and Northern Arizona University is really, well.........liberal I guess. Lots of young hipie slacker looking youths that all seem to be majoring in Forestry, Wild Life Biology, or Engineering. It's very laid back and sort of go with the flow. Houses have grass yards and are more midwestern style in their construction. Summers are gorgeous. Winters have their cold days but nothing like the upper midwest. They get some rain but not to much. It really seems to be about in the middle of the weather spectrum. I've heard people call Snowbowl the jewel of the southwest for skiiers and snowboarders. It's really is a damned good mountain but the precipitation tends to be a little sporadic. They either get tons of snow, open in November and close in March, or they get nothing and don't open at all.
On the other side, if you're looking for a city with tons of shopping and a million different restaraunts to chose from then this is'nt it. It's smaller than it feels. Other than the mountain and NAU arts there's not much to do.

Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale etcc.
Sunny skies nearly every day. Other than Utah and maybe Colorado this is pretty much the capital of the country if you're into mountain biking, rock climbing, motorcycles (both dirt and road), camping, trail running....well you get the picture. For about nine months out of the year all these things are definately doable and since these sports are so popular it's easy to find clubs and friends to do these things with. Get up at 6am on a Sunday, call a friend and go hike Camelback Mountain then go to First Watch for some breakfast.
It's only a 4 hr drive to Vegas, Los Angeles and Rocky Point Mexico. 6 hrs to San Diego. 1.5hr to some very beautiful mountain country in Norther Arizona. 2 hrs to some good skiing/snowboarding in Flagstaff. 4 hrs to some great skiing/snowboarding in Southern Utah. 4hrs to the Grand Canyon. 4hrs to Lake Powel. Ultra cheap air fare to San Fransisco, Vegas and L.A. (like $79 round trip) for easy 3 day weekend getaways.
Tons and tons of golf courses. Tons and tons of restaraunts with cuisine from all around the world.

Not much violent crime but lots and lots of theft. I believe Mesa has gotten the dubious honor of being the car theft capital of the country for about 4 years running. The valley also tops the country in the category of Red Light Running Fatalities. 5 of the most dangerous intersections in the country are in Phoenix.
Brutal, and when I say brutal I mean 100 plus degrees at 3am in late June and July, summers.
Really bad traffic. I live in Kansas City now and have to give a little chuckle every time I hear someone complain about the traffic here. The problem is that the Phoenix area has nearly doubled in population in the past 15 years and ADOT is struggling to keep up. The first leg of the light rail system opens in December of 08' and runs from North Central Phoenix through Tempe and ASU and ends in West Mesa. The other legs that will eventually serve the other burbs are scheduled to open in 10'. It remains to be seen how much the light rail system will actually mediate the traffic problem. Commuter rail similar to what you see in Chicago is still in the planning phase and probably wont even begin to be built until 20'.
With the exception of Tempe, the people in the Valley suck. I didnt realize this until I moved to the Midwest. People in the midwest are much more friendly overall.
Very little greenery. Older neighborhoods in Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale have grass yards lined with palm trees but if you're moving to the outer fringes of the metro you can pretty much count on desert landscaping (read: gravel and cacti).

drb85650 pretty much summed it up for the Jerome/Prescott/Sedona and Tuscon areas.
Tuscon
This is not unbiased in any way but it needs to be said. Tuscon really sucks unless you're around and associated with the University of Arizona. It does have all the outdoor sports, weather and convenience to other places benefits that you get in Phoenix but the city itself is kinda trashy. It's sorta like Wichita Kansas with mountains and tons of illegal Mexicans that have no car insurance.

Jerome/Prescott/Sedona
The Jerome/Prescott/Sedona area is really beautiful but I'd venture to say that jobs are scarce unless you want to open up a knick knacks tourist shop. Also, just like drb said Sedona is sort of the new Taos NM. Lots of New Age hippies both rich and scruffy. Lots of artists. Lots of Yoga studios, natural spas and holistic healing centers. Lots of wickens too.

Bisbee/Patagonia/Sierra
This area is sort of strange regarding the landscape. Its mostly grasslands with a few mountains here and there. Bisbee and Patagonia are sort of hippie come as you are towns. They're really small which means they are still true western towns that havent been cheapend by developement and are still very quaint. Unfortunately this also means that there's absolutely squat to do there. The weather is just what pastor said. Maybe a bit of snow but not much. Warm in the summer. I guess I said the landscape is strange because this region is kind of a grasslands island that is surrounded by the Sonoran Desert. They do actually have quite a few trees albeit nothing like the greenery of the midwest. I've only driven/ridden through this area so I dont know much regarding the crime but I'd venture to say that, in general, the closer you get to the border the worse the crime is. The beach in Rocky Point Mexico is only about 3 hrs away. San Diego is about 4 hrs away. Phoenix is about 3 hrs away.

My two cents
I live in the midwest now and miss certain things about the west. It's definately free'er. For instance if you go out camping or to the lake in Missouri there are certain defined areas that you can go. Seperate areas that are designated for boating. Seperate areas that are designated for swimming. It is'nt like that out west. If you want to go to the lake and swim you just go wherever you can find a spot to get to the shore. If you want to go camping, and by camping I mean away from people so you dont have to listen to somebodys generator all night, you just drive up into the mountains, turn off the highway onto an old logging road and find your spot. There's also less civilization. Driving back to Phoenix from Kansas City I noticed that the further West we went the less little towns we encountered along the interstate. There really are a lot more wide open spaces out there. There's practically nothing between Albequerque and Flagstaff. No farms, nothing. Just high desert. Also, when you're in the midwest you're so isolated from much of the natural beauty this country has to offer. It's at least a days drive to the rockies. 2 days to the beach in Texas or the Carolina's. Also, I hate to say this but it really is true, there are a lot more fat and lazy people in the midwest. On a weekend out west you might get up and go hiking or go to an outdoor art fair or something. In the midwest the Sunday routine usually consists of going to church then coming home and getting drunk while watching football. Certainly not all midwesterners are like this but people like that are more commonly the norm rather than the exception.

Last edited by GSXRScott; 12-22-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM

219 posts, read 506,587 times
Phoenix
Forgot to mention NBA Basketball, NFL football, NHL Hockey, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, AMA Supercross Motorcycel Racing (Phoenix is a very motorcycle friendly city for both dirt and street riders), any major concert you can think of, art museums, symphony etc can all be found there.

Edit: I mispoke when I quoted drb. Listen to what mike said about Tuscon, it's true.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
I absolutely love Arizona....the summers, winters, spring and fall...all of it, the deserts, mountains, etc.....no better state in my estimation....I think that those that live here and hate it ought to move back to whatever hellish icebox they came from.
I moved to AZ from NY back in 1996, best move I've ever made. Dry heat and sunshine feel great.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRScott View Post
I spent the better part of my childhood in Phoenix, 89' to 05'. I'll try to give you a well rounded unbiased unopinionated view so that you can make your own decision.

Flagstaff
Flagstaff is great. If I had to move back to Arizona this is where I'd move to. I'm a big mountain sports person so I love Flag. It's beautiful, green and Northern Arizona University is really, well.........liberal I guess. Lots of young hipie slacker looking youths that all seem to be majoring in Forestry, Wild Life Biology, or Engineering. It's very laid back and sort of go with the flow. Houses have grass yards and are more midwestern style in their construction. Summers are gorgeous. Winters have their cold days but nothing like the upper midwest. They get some rain but not to much. It really seems to be about in the middle of the weather spectrum. I've heard people call Snowbowl the jewel of the southwest for skiiers and snowboarders. It's really is a damned good mountain but the precipitation tends to be a little sporadic. They either get tons of snow, open in November and close in March, or they get nothing and don't open at all.
On the other side, if you're looking for a city with tons of shopping and a million different restaraunts to chose from then this is'nt it. It's smaller than it feels. Other than the mountain and NAU arts there's not much to do.

Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale etcc.
Sunny skies nearly every day. Other than Utah and maybe Colorado this is pretty much the capital of the country if you're into mountain biking, rock climbing, motorcycles (both dirt and road), camping, trail running....well you get the picture. For about nine months out of the year all these things are definately doable and since these sports are so popular it's easy to find clubs and friends to do these things with. Get up at 6am on a Sunday, call a friend and go hike Camelback Mountain then go to First Watch for some breakfast.
It's only a 4 hr drive to Vegas, Los Angeles and Rocky Point Mexico. 6 hrs to San Diego. 1.5hr to some very beautiful mountain country in Norther Arizona. 2 hrs to some good skiing/snowboarding in Flagstaff. 4 hrs to some great skiing/snowboarding in Southern Utah. 4hrs to the Grand Canyon. 4hrs to Lake Powel. Ultra cheap air fare to San Fransisco, Vegas and L.A. (like $79 round trip) for easy 3 day weekend getaways.
Tons and tons of golf courses. Tons and tons of restaraunts with cuisine from all around the world.

Not much violent crime but lots and lots of theft. I believe Mesa has gotten the dubious honor of being the car theft capital of the country for about 4 years running. The valley also tops the country in the category of Red Light Running Fatalities. 5 of the most dangerous intersections in the country are in Phoenix.
Brutal, and when I say brutal I mean 100 plus degrees at 3am in late June and July, summers.
Really bad traffic. I live in Kansas City now and have to give a little chuckle every time I hear someone complain about the traffic here. The problem is that the Phoenix area has nearly doubled in population in the past 15 years and ADOT is struggling to keep up. The first leg of the light rail system opens in December of 08' and runs from North Central Phoenix through Tempe and ASU and ends in West Mesa. The other legs that will eventually serve the other burbs are scheduled to open in 10'. It remains to be seen how much the light rail system will actually mediate the traffic problem. Commuter rail similar to what you see in Chicago is still in the planning phase and probably wont even begin to be built until 20'.
With the exception of Tempe, the people in the Valley suck. I didnt realize this until I moved to the Midwest. People in the midwest are much more friendly overall.
Very little greenery. Older neighborhoods in Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale have grass yards lined with palm trees but if you're moving to the outer fringes of the metro you can pretty much count on desert landscaping (read: gravel and cacti).

drb85650 pretty much summed it up for the Jerome/Prescott/Sedona and Tuscon areas.
Tuscon
This is not unbiased in any way but it needs to be said. Tuscon really sucks unless you're around and associated with the University of Arizona. It does have all the outdoor sports, weather and convenience to other places benefits that you get in Phoenix but the city itself is kinda trashy. It's sorta like Wichita Kansas with mountains and tons of illegal Mexicans that have no car insurance.

Jerome/Prescott/Sedona
The Jerome/Prescott/Sedona area is really beautiful but I'd venture to say that jobs are scarce unless you want to open up a knick knacks tourist shop. Also, just like drb said Sedona is sort of the new Taos NM. Lots of New Age hippies both rich and scruffy. Lots of artists. Lots of Yoga studios, natural spas and holistic healing centers. Lots of wickens too.

Bisbee/Patagonia/Sierra
This area is sort of strange regarding the landscape. Its mostly grasslands with a few mountains here and there. Bisbee and Patagonia are sort of hippie come as you are towns. They're really small which means they are still true western towns that havent been cheapend by developement and are still very quaint. Unfortunately this also means that there's absolutely squat to do there. The weather is just what pastor said. Maybe a bit of snow but not much. Warm in the summer. I guess I said the landscape is strange because this region is kind of a grasslands island that is surrounded by the Sonoran Desert. They do actually have quite a few trees albeit nothing like the greenery of the midwest. I've only driven/ridden through this area so I dont know much regarding the crime but I'd venture to say that, in general, the closer you get to the border the worse the crime is. The beach in Rocky Point Mexico is only about 3 hrs away. San Diego is about 4 hrs away. Phoenix is about 3 hrs away.

My two cents
I live in the midwest now and miss certain things about the west. It's definately free'er. For instance if you go out camping or to the lake in Missouri there are certain defined areas that you can go. Seperate areas that are designated for boating. Seperate areas that are designated for swimming. It is'nt like that out west. If you want to go to the lake and swim you just go wherever you can find a spot to get to the shore. If you want to go camping, and by camping I mean away from people so you dont have to listen to somebodys generator all night, you just drive up into the mountains, turn off the highway onto an old logging road and find your spot. There's also less civilization. Driving back to Phoenix from Kansas City I noticed that the further West we went the less little towns we encountered along the interstate. There really are a lot more wide open spaces out there. There's practically nothing between Albequerque and Flagstaff. No farms, nothing. Just high desert. Also, when you're in the midwest you're so isolated from much of the natural beauty this country has to offer. It's at least a days drive to the rockies. 2 days to the beach in Texas or the Carolina's. Also, I hate to say this but it really is true, there are a lot more fat and lazy people in the midwest. On a weekend out west you might get up and go hiking or go to an outdoor art fair or something. In the midwest the Sunday routine usually consists of going to church then coming home and getting drunk while watching football. Certainly not all midwesterners are like this but people like that are more commonly the norm rather than the exception.
What????? We have very different opinions on much of this post.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 49,425 times
Default Good the Bad about Payson

Can anyone give me any details about the people, weather, water situation ex about Payson any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 AM

74 posts, read 370,916 times
You might like to look into Prescott or Payson both north of Phoenix and in the mountains. Payson is about 90 miles northeast of Phoenix near the Mogollon Rim. It has a population of about 15 thousand and is 4,900 feet elevation. Prescott is around 80 miles northwest of Phoenix with a population of 40 thousand people at 5,400 feet.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The climate in southeastern Arizona is quite nice IMO. But there isn't a lot to do there. It would suit me OK because I can find things to do with all my hobbies, which work best in sparsely populated areas.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
Phoenix metro area (glendale, peroria, gilbert, mesa, etc etc) is low desert and never rains, has no seasons, no rain, it doesn't rain, and has no rain.

It is raining right now in NE Phoenix (by Kierland and Desert Ridge). ;-)

Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 AM

17 posts, read 59,838 times
I am from upstate NY and moved to the Verde Valley(AKA the Sedona Area) after living in both the PHX area and Flagstaff. I left Flagstaff because I didnt move to AZ to be buried in snow. PHX metro was WAY to busy. I discovered the Verde Valley when living in Flagstaff. Over 150 miles of perennial rivers and streams, spectacular scenery and a very diverse group of small towns. Some are staunchly conservative, others lean toward the liberal side of life. There are farms, pecan orchards, ranches, wineries, thick groves of trees along the rivers and streams, swimming and fishing holes and endless forest roads/ATV trails in the surrounding National forests. There are 4 seasons here, but the change is not as spectacular as it is up north. The leaves fall and change color, but the colors are muted due to an overall lack of hard, sudden frosts. We get a dusting or two of snow each year in some parts of the valley, while Sedona and Jerome will get a foot of snow from the same storm. Spring brings an explosion of colorful wildflowers and PERFECT daytime temps. Summer brings lots of heat, but also brings intense thunderstorms called Monsoons, which can drop the temp from 100 degrees to 74 degrees in an hours time. The storms themselves are amazing lightning shows. The area is also quite a bit cooler than PHX, we still have hot summers, but they are not as intense as PHX or Tucson. As with anywhere in rural AZ, try to line up employment before your move or have at least 6 mos-1 years reserves before coming here. Good jobs are few and far between, but they do exist, you will just need to allow yourself enough time to find one. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona