Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 101,027 times

Advertisements

45mph in a 55 & won't drive in the right lane............That's a hazard more than someone going 5 over the limit. And once you get past the range, it's 65mph posted speed limit. With the same people driving 45mph blocking traffic.

I grew up in Nebraska, had to deal with farm equipment, snow, ice, the cattle drives, so I learned patience a long time ago. It's the people that have nowhere to go & aren't watching the road I have a problem with. Those are the people that like to start standing on the brakes a mile from a GREEN LIGHT, just because they think it will turn red.

I don't hate snowbirds, actually I welcome them. But "When in Rome........" comes to mind. Drive the speed limit, don't stand in the middle of the aisle at the local store chatting with friends from Australia - blocking the people that have limited time to spend their hard earned money - or gawk at the fields on Hwy 95. Get to where your going & if you want to chat, be aware others nearby may need those tomatoes you are blocking with your loud voice & empty shopping cart. And don't be rude to us when we politely say "excuse me, may I reach in & get those tomatoes?"

I chose to live here also. I don't plan on moving away & will put up with the idiots (no one in particular, they just are as evidenced by their behavior) while I grumble under my breath. I don't get stressed out anymore, because nobody's shooting at me.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM

148 posts, read 757,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerchick_KF View Post
Seriously, it's all about your attitude and your actions that will determine how great or bad of a place you live in. It doesn't matter if you are in paradise or hell, you will never be happy if you got a poor attitude. Trust me, I've been in AZ long enough. I hated Phoenix so bad I was ready to quit my job, file bankruptcy and live with my parents in Cali. But I got this job and realized I've been living wrong! I see the good that yuma has to offer, and yes I see the bad things too, but I just choose not to get an ulcer over it!
Amen, sister.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM

45 posts, read 171,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
45mph in a 55 & won't drive in the right lane............That's a hazard more than someone going 5 over the limit. And once you get past the range, it's 65mph posted speed limit. With the same people driving 45mph blocking traffic.

I grew up in Nebraska, had to deal with farm equipment, snow, ice, the cattle drives, so I learned patience a long time ago. It's the people that have nowhere to go & aren't watching the road I have a problem with. Those are the people that like to start standing on the brakes a mile from a GREEN LIGHT, just because they think it will turn red.

I don't hate snowbirds, actually I welcome them. But "When in Rome........" comes to mind. Drive the speed limit, don't stand in the middle of the aisle at the local store chatting with friends from Australia - blocking the people that have limited time to spend their hard earned money - or gawk at the fields on Hwy 95. Get to where your going & if you want to chat, be aware others nearby may need those tomatoes you are blocking with your loud voice & empty shopping cart. And don't be rude to us when we politely say "excuse me, may I reach in & get those tomatoes?"

I chose to live here also. I don't plan on moving away & will put up with the idiots (no one in particular, they just are as evidenced by their behavior) while I grumble under my breath. I don't get stressed out anymore, because nobody's shooting at me.
I'm not saying the people doing 5mph over are hazardous haha I'm saying the people that do 10mph+ over and feel the need to tailgate you until they can pass. Even in the mornings when there are 100's of cars all going a steady 55mph, they are passing like 5-10 cars at a time. Those people are the ones so fed up and frustrated with the snowbirds that they get an ulcer over every thing they see. I know people that whine and complain or yell at the other drivers while on the road and it does nothing except make you react slower and drive more dangerously.

The farm equipment is also not a big deal b/c they do pull over when they can, when they see cars behind them and they literally can't go faster. They are very courteous and I think that's great.

the snowbirds are a problem, yes. but it's only for half the year and if you drive the speed limit you can see them and react to them better. During "rush hour" it doesn't matter b/c we go the speed limit or 10 under anyhow and there are usually plenty of passing spots (not many cars in other direction). And in the stores, there's nothing you can do about it. I went grocery shopping yesterday and had a tough time getting my cart around, but again, it's only for part of the year *shrug*

let me tell ya, the "rush hour" here is soooo much better than bumper to bumper for my 20 mile commute in pheonix that takes an hour and a half or 45min if I take side roads, which is still nothing compared to Chicago or Washington DC or NYC or LA. In yuma it takes me about 30 minutes to go 25 miles during the morning rush hour and 40 min in the evening. Sure you slow down a few times, maybe even stop when someone wants to turn left somewhere and waiting for an opening, but we go right up to speed quickly!

did I mention I love yuma?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerchick_KF View Post

did I mention I love yuma?
I am so happy that someone out there loves Yuma. I don't. I just have had it pretty rough since moving here. I am trying to leave though. Hopefully, I will find a job in another place with less agriculture which is hard on the asthma. I just had 4 attacks today. They were burning something in the fields last night. The school I work at is much, much too close to where they were burning obviously.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

148 posts, read 757,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
They were burning something in the fields last night.
I'm not sure what they would be burning off this time of year. I think wheat is just now being planted. Are you sure it wasn't someones fireplace? Four asthma attacks in one day is four too many. I hope you're feeling better.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 171,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am so happy that someone out there loves Yuma. I don't. I just have had it pretty rough since moving here. I am trying to leave though. Hopefully, I will find a job in another place with less agriculture which is hard on the asthma. I just had 4 attacks today. They were burning something in the fields last night. The school I work at is much, much too close to where they were burning obviously.
well the best thing you can do is job search at least once a week. there are new stuff popping up all the time and you gotta be quick on the good ones. Maybe even consider a job change for awhile too. To get out of PHX I was looking at several fields but found one in my own luckily. Also put your resume up on monster.com and maybe even talk to a head hunter. I had one find me on monster for this job and I am very pleased. Once I got active about leaving I it all happened quick. good luck out there!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default revivin' the thread!

I'm with Bikerchick, I love Yuma, and tend to agree with your opinions about it. I don't notice much traffic, but I've always tried to live my life avoiding crowds by driving at other times whenever possible.
I'm new to Yuma since January, and haven't noticed the problems with snowbirds too much, probably cuz i lived in Palm Springs for 10 years in the 80s and knew what to expect.
I guess I'm now a snowbird too, only 51 though, and plan to take off in the summer. I paid my dues in Palm Springs and Tucson, and now I don't have to stay through the hot months, so I'm grateful and fortunate, which makes Yuma even more appealing to me.
It's May now, and I've recently had the "going slow in the fast lane, cutting me off, etc" problems, so I can't blame it on snowbirds.
I discovered "The Mine Shaft", a local bar with a swim-up poolbar outside. Nice people in Yuma. I've been in some deadbeat towns, so I find them interesting, employed, down-to-earth, and very friendly. What's not to love???
But, next year, I'm leaving the Foothills area (too many old retired snowbirds LOL) and moving to an RV park across the river (River's Edge), where everyone has created endless 'play' areas for happy hour all along the river. Some have boats, I'll have my floating raft, can't wait to move--after summer heat dies down in Sept or Oct.
Keep postin' everyone. Positive town, I've noticed. Not the Yuma of years ago!

Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 PM

50 posts, read 295,882 times
We moved here to Yuma exactly 2 years ago..and we love it here! In fact, this the FIRST place that we've lived that I have had NO desire to go "back home" even for a visit! It's the truth...we moved from the horrible Bay Area in No Cal and we've not gone back. I've had 3 jobs since moving here (my choice)so there ARE jobs...you just have to have "experience" and find what you want. As for the snowbirds, they are definately a pain in the behind, however, I was working at a school where we had a "snowbird" work and he was sooooo cool....he wasn't your "typical" snowbird, so it's definately attitude. Of course, it's nice when they leave cause they do take up space I do miss not having a Trader Joe's....and Whole Foods, however, I love being only a little over 2 hrs away from San Diego....love the beach!

We have met many many amazing people here that are alot of fun and we are involved w/our church. My youngest goes to a great school...and I LOVE the winters here! As for the heat, oh yeah, 119 degrees is nothing to sneeze at, but once you survive the summer, the winters are amazing.

More and more people are coming here....and it's still small enough for families, and it's not THAT far out from the main cities......

Life here in Yuma is what YOU make of it....

Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Default Those snowbirds are.............

probably keeping you EMPLOYED!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 PM

50 posts, read 295,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
probably keeping you EMPLOYED!!!!!!

you could be correct, except when I worked at a school...it's the people with kids that live here that kept me employed....not the snowbirds I love all the people here...I will admit that it took some getting used to the out of towners..and they can be rude...I've seen it and experienced it first hand..however, I just smile and be done with it.......no harm no foul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona