Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWalker177 View Post
Hey people. I currently live in Bronx, NY. I was born with Asthma so I pretty much been feeling like crap all my life. I was thinking about moving in 2 years, I'm trying to figure out. Is Arizona a good place for a asthmatic? I'm asking because I was told that dry air is good for asthma. If AZ is not a good state to move for asthma, can you please tell me which state would be a good state?

Thank You
I have lived in AZ the last 15 years (Tempe/Phx) and did not have any symptoms of asthma or allergies since I moved here from NY (Long Island). I have spent time in northern AZ as well and do not find any relief from my symptoms. To be honest the only place I find relief is in the cooler parts of California such as bay area and north and if the housing becomes more affordable will make a move. I love Tempe and the Phoenix area but definitely not good for breathing.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM

287 posts, read 896,802 times
AZ use to be a good place for asthma sufferrors (sp?). Not anymore. Too many non-native plants and the air quality stinks from pollution and dust.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Mold triggers my Asthma, and I seem to be doing better here than in Oregon, Washington or Texas. Colorado, another dry state that supposed to be bad for asthmatics was also a haven for me.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM

862 posts, read 2,620,923 times
Per the American Lung Association: (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)

25 Most Ozone-Polluted Cities 2007

Rank #1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA

# 15 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 AM

862 posts, read 2,620,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Colorado, another dry state that supposed to be bad for asthmatics was also a haven for me.
As long as you get out of Denver, the air gets a lot better. Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, etc., have excellent air quality.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettrix View Post
Per the American Lung Association: (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)

25 Most Ozone-Polluted Cities 2007

Rank #1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA

# 15 Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
I've read those stats before. I'm not sure how to take it all in though. Depending on the offending pollutant, many cities appear and disappear on the lists.
Which one do you suggest we take as the "final" answer? *smile*

Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 12,232 times
I moved to AZ when I was 14y/o from Colorado in 1984 because of my dad's asthma. He got to where he had problems when the pine trees polenated. I developed asthma around the age of 26 and has worsend over the years. I have worked as a respiratory therapest for the last 10 years and sadly there are no easy answers. Until two years ago I lived in Apache jct. outside Phoenix, now I live in Thatcher (a small farming town 2.5 hr from Phoenix). One thing I have noticed as an asthmatic and as a therapest is that people with asthma dont stay active especialy as they get older. Find an environment as free of polutants as you can, take you're prescribed meds and stay active. Unfortunately, I cant tolerate the heat anymore, therefore I don't tend to get out as much as I should and am looking for a cooler climate to live in such as Oregon. Fortunately my asthma is controlled fairly well with meds and I hope I would breethe well in Oregon.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,138 times
We moved to Sierra Vista from Phoenix and both my son and husband have Asthma and are breathing so much better here. And the weather is not nearly as hot which is a plus!

Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I've read those stats before. I'm not sure how to take it all in though. Depending on the offending pollutant, many cities appear and disappear on the lists.
Which one do you suggest we take as the "final" answer? *smile*
It depends what your triggers are. Uh, the ones we have just cause cancer for the most part. You can take it and study them all to get an idea of what your exposing your self to everyday. Phoenix has been fined for bad air from the feds for years now. We have never gotten it clean enough to avoid a penelty. So, clean air is not our strong point. How could it be with the sprawl in a valley. Our local doesn't mix well with cars or heat. The heat cooks the chemicals like a stew. yummy. There are a lot of interesting facts out there on our pollution. Check them out. Also compare to other states and see the difference in the type of pollution. It all depends what type is the high. We are required to alert the public to high pollution warnings on the news they have them so just don't exercise outdoors in it and if you are sensitive to what we have stay in on those days.
Here is a site, there are many so search for what you agree with and look into it.Scorecard Home
Here is how we stack up to the rest of the country for our toxins. Now you can believe this or not but you should dig deeper if you don't. You can't really give an opinion about air pollution.Pollution Locator: Smog and Particulates: Rank States by Health Risks
Environmental Releases for MARICOPA County
Before you get freaked out there are worse than us for sure. We have some good points here too. Here is a map.Pollution Locator: USA

Last edited by twiggy; 06-24-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWalker177 View Post
Hey people. I currently live in Bronx, NY. I was born with Asthma so I pretty much been feeling like crap all my life. I was thinking about moving in 2 years, I'm trying to figure out. Is Arizona a good place for a asthmatic? I'm asking because I was told that dry air is good for asthma. If AZ is not a good state to move for asthma, can you please tell me which state would be a good state?

Thank You
I didn't find out that I am an asthmatic until I moved to Arizona. The dust can make the life of an asthmatic pretty miserable here. You might try Colorado or Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona