Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 AM

849 posts, read 2,912,902 times

Advertisements

Definitely stick with northern AZ...some of the stories you hear about are more like Phoenix and Tucson...more populated areas. Northern AZ seems to be much nicer and more relaxed than those major metropolitan areas down south. KDog knows his stuff....listen to him! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM

26 posts, read 77,403 times
Thanks, I really appreciate all the help I am getting here.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "wash"?

The water issue concerns me a bit. You mention that some get water brought in...does that mean people have huge holding tanks on the property?

I read on one of these posts that vehicle property taxes were very high...the post was actually funny, saying that the "DMV has smelling salts for the newcomers!"

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM

216 posts, read 696,036 times
Default northern arizona

i moved to northern arizona from southern california. in southern california i lived in the mountains where it snowed all the time during the winter...shoveling and puttin on cables were a normal way to get to work....the kids all grew up and moved out and i moved to prescott valley with a friend of mine
then i moved to chino valley....i think chino valley may be a place for you to look at if you want acreage and rural setting for a reasonable price (especially now!!!)
my boyfriend and i ride a motorcycle, and the only thing i have found, well maybe a coupla things...is
bad drivers (definitely be a defensive driver)
monsoon season
but, i'm new to the area, so i'm still aclimating...i LOVE it here, very happy
hard to find work tho,
have fun with your search

Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 AM

13,162 posts, read 21,717,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Girl View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "wash"?
It's basically a river bed through the desert that's normally dry, except during a big monsoon, when it can turn into a raging river that can carry a car away. Where there are deserts, there are washes.
Quote:
The water issue concerns me a bit. You mention that some get water brought in...does that mean people have huge holding tanks on the property?
Correct. Where there's no city water, you have a choice of drilling a well, or trucking in water. Drilling a well is iffy because you don't know from the outset how far you have to drill. Figure anything less than $25,000 is a gift. Since most people pay less than that for their land, you can see why having water on property essentially doubles its value. Plus, there can be water quality and volume issues with wells. It's a crap shoot.

Hauling water is very popular. I'm always surprised to see how many pickup trucks I see around with big polypropylene water tanks in the back. Even so, I believe most folks just have it delivered. It's really not a big deal. Although it's probably not the best setup if you need to irrigate a garden for example.
Quote:
I read on one of these posts that vehicle property taxes were very high...the post was actually funny, saying that the "DMV has smelling salts for the newcomers!"
I pay $250/year for my 2005 Jeep. Is that high? Seems like nothing compared to how much money we're saving on property taxes.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM

59 posts, read 230,030 times
We moved out of AZ because it is no place to raise a family. It is getting worse by the minute. I would not recommend Phx or anywhere close to anyone. The only nice place is flagstaff or prescott but it snows there.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM

13,162 posts, read 21,717,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AilaTyler View Post
We moved out of AZ because it is no place to raise a family. It is getting worse by the minute. I would not recommend Phx or anywhere close to anyone. The only nice place is flagstaff or prescott but it snows there.
Wow. You're an expert on the whole state, are you?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM

849 posts, read 2,912,902 times
If you compare vehicle registration costs to places like Florida (where I pay $50 a year for a 2008 Nissan pickup), then yeah, AZ is high. But compared to California, it's reasonable.
Snowfall is high in areas like Flagstaff, but the further north and west you go, the less you get, or the less it actually sticks to the ground.
I hear an awful lot about this water issue. Maybe someone can shed some real light on this situation instead of an "alarmist" attitude. KDog, are you talking about people living in remote areas such as the areas near Valle (I own property out there, and I know water tanks are commonplace for people living out there, but it's pretty remote)? I find it hard to believe with all the water in the northern areas of the state there is any kind of issue like this-unless you live in the middle of nowhere! Furthermore, in this day and age, I don't see there being a possibility of water service being shut off to residents! I mean come on, it IS a desert, and there usually is a "water shortage" at all times out there, but it seems like people may be making a much bigger deal out of this issue than need be.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM

OK...I'm still getting used to the site. I thought I just replied to an individual post....

Anyway, about the vehicle property taxes...no, I don't think $250. is high.
I have an 04 Crossfire that I pay 465. and we live in a small town of about 6700 people with a mill rate of 21.0. (very low compared to some others.) Dirt roads not being an issue here, I think I may need to trade it in for a 4-wheel drive vehicle if we do go out there. That would be tough...love that car

Funny how different parts of the country have their own issues. Water issues are hardly ever a problem here. Either you have city water or you have a well (that usually is already in place if anyone is living there). So this is a new one for me.

I guess there is a lot to consider. Of course, we would come out there for a week to look around. I am a stickler for doing my homework first and yet sometimes even when you do, it still might be a mistake. I guess that's the chance you take!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

roxiemack......I guess some things are everywhere. It seems every time we go riding, there is some idiot that almost causes an accident. But when you love to ride, I guess you just do the best you can to be safe and try to anticipate everybody's next move! We wear helmets, but just out of curiousity, does AZ have a helmet law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona