Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 AM

483 posts, read 665,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnybone5 View Post
We are Ohio natives and moved to Gilbert Az and lived there for 5 months, decided we wanted to live by the beach so we went to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Big MISTAKE. The humidity is awful. When you would wake up in the morning the bed linens would be damp from the humidity and every morning you woke up to pea soup fog. I suffer from migraines and the constant changing weather patterns killed me. I was in bed almost every day. We moved back out to Arizona and have been here for 2 years. I love it. They say that hot is hot, but there is a difference to those of us with health issues. I had 15-20 migraines a month in Alabama, no life. In Arizona 2-3 a month. A big difference!
As a fellow migraine sufferer, this is good news, indeed. I lived in Phoenix in the mid-80s and it is on my short list of places to retire in a couple of years...along with Tucson and Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 AM

272 posts, read 609,202 times
Let you know in a couple of weeks. Closing on our house in Chicago is scheduled for Thursday (God willing), and the movers are packing our stuff on the truck Friday. We're leaving next Monday or Tuesday (driving out), and should be in Scottsdale by next Friday.

Re Migraines: Same here. I get them frequently up here - but while I lived in the Valley, I could count the number of migraines I had on the fingers of one foot . I'm sensitive to pressure changes; there are far fewer "extreme" changes in Phoenix than Chicago.

I'm also sensitive to tobacco smoke, alcohol, and chocolate.

Sometimes, life just sucks...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 PM

219 posts, read 506,791 times
I grew up in Phoenix and then moved to Kansas City a few years back. I missed the mountains....a lot! I really took Snowbowl and Sunrise for granted when I lived here the first time. The Midwest has a lot of redeeming qualities (cheap housing, friendly people) but you just cant beat the natural beauty of the West. After a few years in KC, my company transferred me to Denver. I have since moved back to the Valley of Sweat and miss Denver quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'll ever move back to the Midwest but I'd move to Denver, Fort Collins or Greeley in a heartbeat. I only hope that I can move back to one of the towns along the front range region of the rockies before my daughter reaches kindergarten because I don't really want to send my little girl through the 'ahem' sub-par Phoenix Public School System.

Phoenix IMO is a rather 'ahem' unpleasant place to live but other towns in Arizona are quite charming and agreeable. Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson and Sedona are all great little mountain towns that aren't even close to Phoenix in terms of....well...everything. Phoenix has such a SoCal feel to it, as if it's just a suburb of Los Angeles. The other cities I listed are not like that at all. I got sent up to Prescott for work this past spring and really loved it. So green and pretty, the smell of pine trees, nice people. I dreaded that drive back down I-17 to Phoenix every weekend. I would have stayed up there on the weekends too if my daughter and wife were able to join me. Rant End.
~Fin~

Last edited by GSXRScott; 08-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Just wondering if any non-Arizona natives have left and then come back, and what your feelings were before and after you left. Thanks!!!
Born in AZ, left in 86'. Was practically raised in California. Came back in 00'. California is really overrated. The people and taxes are enough to make you not want to live there. The weather is nice, and there is a lot of convenience with California, but is it really worth it? Visit yes, live no.

Arizona is a drive here and a drive there. The schools are ok, people are much nicer and the girls are too. It does get really hot in Phoenix, but places like Tucson and nothern arizona do not get this hot. If I could be a programmer in Show Low and make good money I would be set for life.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM

219 posts, read 506,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
If I could be a programmer in Show Low and make good money I would be set for life.
Me too. If there were a single IT or GIS job in any of the white mountain towns I'd move up there.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Yes, and no.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRScott View Post
Me too. If there were a single IT or GIS job in any of the white mountain towns I'd move up there.
GSXRScott, you have to know people in that area to get a good job or make your own business. No Joke. I see so many H1B programmers in the valley, with benefits, like working from home, I wish I could be offered the same thing. Maybe in another 10 years.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Moved from San Francisco to West Valley, too hot. Sold and made money moved back to San Francisco, still too expensive. Back to Sierra Vista, remote but just right.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Moved from San Francisco to West Valley, too hot. Sold and made money moved back to San Francisco, still too expensive. Back to Sierra Vista, remote but just right.
Boompa, I heard some nice things about Sierra Vista. They say the temperature is much nicer than here in the valley.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Boompa, I heard some nice things about Sierra Vista. They say the temperature is much nicer than here in the valley.
I would be scared to see what Sierra Vista turns into if the base ever closed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona