Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM

37 posts, read 116,340 times

Advertisements

My wife has a bad back problem and needs to leave the humid and extreme cold weather of Chicago. She is fixed on AZ. I don't really care where I go, I can adapt anywhere. She can't work due to her back condition. I am a carpenter by trade, but I also have a Ass. Degree of Elec. Science that I could maybe fall back on? We are looking for some secluded land to build on maybe, yet close enough for me to find some work. We will be coming with enough to pay fully for a house but I will have to work to survive. We are looking for any advice for all the aspects of moving to AZ. My wife and I would like to thank you all for any advice you could provide.
Keven and Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,323,672 times
Keven,

Gotta help us a little more than this - AZ is a BIG place with lots of opportunity for secluded land - finding that near work is a little different story - but what are some of your other desires, requirements? Can you deal with extreme summer heat? Or are you looking for more moderate climates? Big City nearby like Phoenix or Tucson? Or just big enough to get some work? What are your hobbies etc?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

559 posts, read 1,460,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenlm View Post
.I am a carpenter by trade, but I also have a Ass.
Lol, I read that all wrong, yea I know I am immature, but hey I am the one laughing and you are not, so who is having more fun?

Anyways, secluded land that is still close to work eh...Queen Creek if you are going to work around the valley, maybe even Chandler, but that is going to cost a more. Or you could go up north.

The job market is slim pickins.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,013,492 times
there is lots of land for sale out here - secluded and not so much - in all parts of the state....first need to decide where you want to be and that sounds like it'll be in the drier and warmer parts of the state - the southwest half of the state (draw line from NW corner to SE corner).....

then decide if being near a major city will help your job prospects....very difficult out here right now for construction-related trades....think about that problem a lot!!.....

think this through carefully and don't get into something you can't get out of.....not saying don't do it, but just tread carefully

Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM

687 posts, read 2,942,465 times
What does your degree qualify you for? I'm not a collegiate, does it mean you can work as a electrician, or????
And, how much "cold" weather can she tolerate? Our humidity will be so low compared to yours that even the "cold" areas of the state will feel warmer.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,933,080 times
it is humid here in the summers, july and august and sept are awful and hot hot hot. try the nevada desert if you want dry heat

Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,856,292 times
It can be pretty humid here especially in August. Definitely visit first. My health actually got worse after moving to Arizona because I developed severe asthma that I never had in Indiana. I live in Yuma where they spray pesticides pretty heavily. Today, near the school where I teach, the air smelled so bad I was gagging. I was also having pretty bad asthma attacks today.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM

687 posts, read 2,942,465 times
I've yet to meet anyone from the midwest or south that thought Arizona was even humid, period. Guess it's all relative to what you recall/decide to recall.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,155,489 times
yeah - it's more humid here in august during the monsoon season

but it's not insanely humid - you won't see really any days with 90% humidity

more like 30-40% (which on top of 105 can suck)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 AM

345 posts, read 464,709 times
Gads of transplants here from Illinois. Most like it here. There's a world of difference from north to south AZ. Travel AZ to find your spot. The cold, dry, windy winter weather can aggravate arthritis. I have more problems with my joints and skin in AZ than I ever did in PA/NY/GA/FL, but I'm older now too. (I find western KS closest to central AZ climate in my life experiences. Many people from the mid west favor the Verde Valley area). Best of luck.

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 02-07-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona