U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you have a Concealed Weapons permit
Yes - and I carry frequently 16 38.10%
Yes - and I carry occassionally 5 11.90%
No - But I am thinking about getting a permit 12 28.57%
No - and will not get a permit 5 11.90%
No - I am opposed to the carrying of handguns by civilians 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM

194 posts, read 305,528 times
Oddly my wife carries and I rarely do.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,321,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Look at these statistics and tell me why if so many people in Az. have guns, it is rated as the 8th most dangerous state to live in. Guns are not stopping crime. It doesnt ad up to me that more people owning guns equal a safer place to live and act as a deterant to crime.

Most Dangerous States - WalletPop
I wonder what criteria Walletpop uses. The Brady Foundation uses the strictness of the states gun laws regardless of the crime rate to determine a cities safety. The States that have liberal CCW laws are automatically voted as unsafe no matter their actual violent crime rate. Maybe Walletpop uses The Brady numbers?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,427,690 times
I too have a carry permit and I live in Florida.....I have never carried my 9mm in the open or anywhere I may have or get stares. I do carry concealed when I fish in places where dangerous snakes or gators would be present. It does make a lot of sense to carry in the desert and I carry only for self defense as I am sure Rick Lee does....

Seems like those who carry in the open among the public may believe they have superiority over the regular guy like I consider I really am.. I just stay away from those and make sure my wife is out of the area ASAP.

I did get a 5' Cotton Mouth snake from my neighbor's bathroom last week after she ran out of her house hollaring to me and my wife when we were swimming....No weapon needed there 'cept a deep bucket with a lid and a broom ...... Hey I shook him up so much when I released him back to the wild 2 blocks from where I live. He was upside down for a few minutes when he finally crawled away very slow. Gotta go now and get ready to submit a license to trap gators at night.....

Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM

42,648 posts, read 19,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I have to say it seems like the gun owners are really afraid of getting attacked, or hurt a lot. I know a lot of people who would help someone if they saw it and they don't have a gun. Its just my opinion but I don't know why you are so afraid of everything? You carry a gun because you are afraid of being attacked and you won't help someone because you are afraid of the consequences. Is there anything you are not afraid of? I even heard someone on here say he has a gun in every room just in case. Do you think people who don't carry a gun should? Because they should also be worried about being attacked?
I'm not just being facetious either, it really seems this way to me. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Just interested in your answer, thats all.
You're making an unfair generalization about gun owners being affraid and so forth. That's not the case, look at it this way, do you know when somebody might attack you? If God forbid something like that does happen, do you want to be unprepared and rely on 911? Not me.

I have 11 long guns, and 5 handguns, I keep one on me or near me all the time just because you'll never know. I live in a decent neighborhood and we've never had any serious problems with crime, probably because many of the residents are armed.

The main reason I have 16 firearms is to shoot paper targets and hunting, and I do not intend to rob any banks or kill somebody just for the heck of it, the only time I would ever shoot and kill anybody would be in a self-defense situation.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,436,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
You're making an unfair generalization about gun owners being affraid and so forth. That's not the case, look at it this way, do you know when somebody might attack you? If God forbid something like that does happen, do you want to be unprepared and rely on 911? Not me.

I have 11 long guns, and 5 handguns, I keep one on me or near me all the time just because you'll never know. I live in a decent neighborhood and we've never had any serious problems with crime, probably because many of the residents are armed.

The main reason I have 16 firearms is to shoot paper targets and hunting, and I do not intend to rob any banks or kill somebody just for the heck of it, the only time I would ever shoot and kill anybody would be in a self-defense situation.
GUN CONTROL

Quote James Madison

“The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country.”

“Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.”

"Wherever the real power in a government lies, there is a danger of oppression. In our government, the real power lies in the majority of the Community... Government is the mere instrument of the major number of constituents.”

“Whenever there is an interest and a power to do wrong, wrong will generally be done and not less readily by a powerful and interested party, than by a prince.”

“I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,436,909 times
Police do not protect you from crime,
they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.

'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter...don't mind...And those that mind...don't matter.'

Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I have to say it seems like the gun owners are really afraid of getting attacked, or hurt a lot.
My family was attacked. I was able to save their lives with my firearm - I shot and killed the attacker.

My wife and I both carry concealed weapons.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 PM

354 posts, read 569,254 times
Yes, I hold an AZ CCW permit. This allows me to carry however I choose. My principal purpose was defence in the back country. A lot more training is warranted for daily concealed carry in the city than I got out of my CCW class. Fortunately, I have never been in a stuation around town where being armed would been an advantage.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM

14 posts, read 9,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
The funny thing is that NY and NJ and Ca. and mass. are the states that are rated safest for places to live. They include places like Newton Ma. where I once lived.......Lake Forest and Irvine Ca. where I live close to now. Why are the safer cities ones that dont allow concealed weapons? I am just trying to find the correlation in these statistics.
NY, NJ, CA and MA all allow concealed carry. MI and IL are the only states that do not allow concealed carry.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,675,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb63 View Post
NY, NJ, CA and MA all allow concealed carry.
Ha! On paper only. Try getting a CCW in those states. What's the point in saying they have CCW if it's not a shall-issue law? You have to pretty much be a professional victim, a celebrity or a very close friend of the chief of police to get a CCW in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona