Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Arizona about 20 years ago and lived in Scottsdale and Tucson. I am considering moving back out there. I want to move to a smaller town and I have located several towns that I am interested in.

Globe and Safford are my two choices in what I consider the mid-desert (altitude) region. I had been to both places once or twice when I lived in AZ but don't remember much about them.

Would like to know how each community compares with the other. I just wanted people's input so I could figure out which place would be more suitable. I like to run, bicycle, hike and enjoy scenic views. Don't need any nightlife. Money is not really an issue. Job isn't really an issue. I would prefer that the town not be a total dump. (I consider places like Winslow and Holbrooke dumps).

I have other choices in other parts of Arizona but I would like any info on these two places for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,755 times
Globe is pretty dumpy, Safford is not as dumpy. I've heard some positive things about Safford, and none about Globe.

Have you looked into Pinetop-Lakeside or Show Low? I think they would fit your bill more (not dumpy at all, small, tons of outdoor activities).

Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,365 times
Globe is a good place when it comes to shopping and restaurants (I'm talking chain stores - WalMart, Village Inn, etc.) But those nasty mountains of tailings from the mines and leach fields - not in this lifetime.

However, it you head west of Globe on US60 just a few miles to a community called "Top of the World", great scenery, very rural. Unfortunately, it is dominated by mobile homes, but with all the trees it's not a real eyesore. I think the altitude is 4000 ft. It runs from about milepost 235 to mp237 on US60. It might be worth a look.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
According to the Western Garden Book by Sunset, Globe is in zone 10, the AZ High Desert, and Safford is in zone 12, the AZ Intermediate Desert. I think either climate would be fine, but they are different.

Safford has a lot more agriculture, you may have issues with the dust and spraying. Globe is/was a copper mining town so get your drinking water upstream of the talings.

If climate is a big concern you might try these links.

www.sunset.com/sunset/web/Sponsors/Garden/sunsetmonrovia_r1/htmlfiles/zone_map4.html (broken link)

ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/climate/azclimatezonemap.html

Old 03-29-2007, 09:47 AM

553 posts, read 479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Globe is a good place when it comes to shopping and restaurants (I'm talking chain stores - WalMart, Village Inn, etc.) But those nasty mountains of tailings from the mines and leach fields - not in this lifetime.

However, it you head west of Globe on US60 just a few miles to a community called "Top of the World", great scenery, very rural. Unfortunately, it is dominated by mobile homes, but with all the trees it's not a real eyesore. I think the altitude is 4000 ft. It runs from about milepost 235 to mp237 on US60. It might be worth a look.

Globe is not so bad. I live there myself. It's growing and looking better every day. They are reports that Walgreens is headed our way...Walmart is already here...and plenty close enough to Mesa if the need arises for more serious shopping fixes. lol

It has plenty of old town culture and I find the people to be very friendly. Of course there are your few that aren't, but for the most part I have had nothing but pleasant experiences.

The tailings aren't so bad...some of them actually have sparse grass growing on them right now as they are no longer being used. So I really don't see where that would be a problem.

As for the Top of the World that aj661 mentioned...it IS a nice little area....key word being little because if you blink you will definitely miss it. lol

Old 03-29-2007, 01:30 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Default Mine tailings

I think the reason most people avoid mine tailings is the stuff they leach into the watertable, like arsenic. The link below has a map that shows arsenic levels in wells arount the state of AZ. Globe isn't the worst, but it might be a problem.

azgs.state.az.us/Fall2000.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona