Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 PM

82 posts, read 280,816 times

Advertisements

Hubby is interviewing for a job and should know this week. Neither one of us want to move back to Phoenix. We are only doing it because all of our family lives there and our kids are missing out on being near their grandparents. A series of health issues with our parents have caused us to question being so far away. We figure that it is only a matter of time before we need to move to Phoenix in order to take care of our ailing parents.

We are certainly not in love with where we live now mostly because of the weather. We live in the coldest area in the country. I don't care about snow but when temps go below zero, I cry. However, we do live in an affluent area with a small town feel only a few miles from a major city. We live in a house on 5 acres. Our kids also go to very good schools and no worries about safety.

It's going to be tough to adjust to the hot weather in Phoenix and the lack of space between us and our neighbors. Not to mention that we have to adjust our expectations when it comes to what we consider "good" schools.

I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I get sick to my stomach when I think of living in Phoenix again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,481 times
Do you have to go back to Phoenix? What about Prescott, Tucson, Surprise, Peoria, etc.? Are there any surrouding areas (within driving distance) that you can live in, work in, and still see your folks that isn't in Phoenix metro? Since you have negative feelings about Phoenix, maybe you can be somewhere else in Arizona that you feel more excited about.

Also, what about moving the ailing parents in with you, or in your town (the town of your choosing-- whether that's where you are now, or someplace else)? If they are retired, then they have more freedom to relocate than you do. Have you broached this subject with them? Try it...you never know. Maybe they would be open to it.

Best of luck!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
Hubby is interviewing for a job and should know this week. Neither one of us want to move back to Phoenix. We are only doing it because all of our family lives there and our kids are missing out on being near their grandparents. A series of health issues with our parents have caused us to question being so far away. We figure that it is only a matter of time before we need to move to Phoenix in order to take care of our ailing parents.
Sometimes, life just isn't fair. I grew up without grandparents close by. Two died before I was born, two lived in Santa Cruz and I only saw them a handful of times. It sucked. She died when I was six, but memories of my maternal grandmother are among my most precious.

You need to think about this move. If you'll be miserable here, do you think your children won't pick up on that? I did the 24/7 care thing for my Mother for 5 years in my home, so I'm sympathetic to what you will be going through. If you're eventually going to provide in home care it says a lot about your character, as does thinking about your children's time with them. Just be careful because an unwanted move because of 'THEM' could also cause resentment, "having" to live somewhere you don't like.

I agree 100% with leavingcali, consider moving the parents to you. The more they become shut-ins as their health declines, the less the geographical location of their home will matter to them.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks for your responses. My parents will not move from the valley. The recent health issues were due to an accident and not old age. However, it has made me realize that they will need me someday and how helpless I feel being this far away. My hubby is an only child and we are definitely going to care for his parents sometime in the future. Right now, his parents are in great health for their age. I guess we are contemplating the move now because we don't want our kids to get too settled making it harder to uproot them. They are young enough that it would be an easy transition.

As far as looking at other parts of the valley, I meant the valley when I said Phoenix.

The job prospect is in the south phoenix (south mnt) area. So, we are tentatively thinking Ahwatukee, Chandler or Gilbert because of the schools and the proximity to the employer. I think that I would prefer Gilbert of the 3 but I don't know if the commute to the north side of south mountain would be too much for hubby. It seems like Ahwatukee would be an easy commute because he wouldn't even have to get on the freeway. If anyone knows the south mountain area intimately, I would love to know what the traffic would be like getting to just the other side of south mountain.

We have made a lot of sacrifices for our kids and I do think that they would benefit from this move especially on the family side. Yet, school-wise...I'm not so sure. We will have to do our homework to get into a good school in a good district. I know that we are very spoiled right now. Their current school has 98% meeting or exceeding standards for reading and a 97% meeting or exceeding standards for math. My daughter was well above the average for her school and district in math and above for reading as well. I guess I'm afraid of sending her to a school where she won't be challenged. Unfortunately, private school is not an option at this time. One of the sacrifices is that we are a one-income family so that I can stay home with them. However, that may change with the grandparents nearby.

Here I am rambling again. Sorry...

Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 PM

91 posts, read 422,454 times
sugarlips,
i responded to your PX posting..
I am really having mixed feeling about moving to that area as well. For reasons unlike yours for the most part... but same emotions. We to live in the COLDEST state in the USA.. with winter always being no higher in temp then -30 and usually colder then that. So when you say you are in cold weather.. I understand.

We have limited choices for moving if we want to stay to the west of the USA.

We would prefer Cali.,but with that comes needing a HUGE promo. or it just wont be the right thing to do with 5 kids. We love the CA area, but loveing it doesnt make it worth while if we cant afford it. We also have WA, Mesa AZ, CO. areas as choices.. for our transfer locates.

I am not keen on Colorado as I have read that TAXing is High there. Also to be frank... I am not thrilled with the location of CO... with that being said.. I like Washington... but not all of the rain. I already have an issue with seasonal disorder so I am not to giddy about going somewhere that will more then likely continue with it.

So knocking those off the list we are down to AZ and CA. Mesa and its surroundings are cheaper the CA for sure ..and that would make things more livable for the kids..I am just not sure that we would be happy in an area with such intense heat. We all tend to get somwhat sick in heat and that would mean not being able to be outside much.
Like you I want to do what is best and we need to make a choice here SOON.
I want to be able to afford more then a broken down mobile home in CA for our 7 person family,but at least in that area my kids could get out and not get sick from being in the heat waves of AZ,yet if we are in Az then we could afford much more for a salary of no less then $100K for sure.
Encourgment would be nice here as well.
I hope that you have been able to start finding confidence with your choice.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlips View Post
Thanks for your responses. My parents will not move from the valley. The recent health issues were due to an accident and not old age. However, it has made me realize that they will need me someday and how helpless I feel being this far away. My hubby is an only child and we are definitely going to care for his parents sometime in the future. Right now, his parents are in great health for their age. I guess we are contemplating the move now because we don't want our kids to get too settled making it harder to uproot them. They are young enough that it would be an easy transition.

As far as looking at other parts of the valley, I meant the valley when I said Phoenix.

The job prospect is in the south phoenix (south mnt) area. So, we are tentatively thinking Ahwatukee, Chandler or Gilbert because of the schools and the proximity to the employer. I think that I would prefer Gilbert of the 3 but I don't know if the commute to the north side of south mountain would be too much for hubby. It seems like Ahwatukee would be an easy commute because he wouldn't even have to get on the freeway. If anyone knows the south mountain area intimately, I would love to know what the traffic would be like getting to just the other side of south mountain.

We have made a lot of sacrifices for our kids and I do think that they would benefit from this move especially on the family side. Yet, school-wise...I'm not so sure. We will have to do our homework to get into a good school in a good district. I know that we are very spoiled right now. Their current school has 98% meeting or exceeding standards for reading and a 97% meeting or exceeding standards for math. My daughter was well above the average for her school and district in math and above for reading as well. I guess I'm afraid of sending her to a school where she won't be challenged. Unfortunately, private school is not an option at this time. One of the sacrifices is that we are a one-income family so that I can stay home with them. However, that may change with the grandparents nearby.

Here I am rambling again. Sorry...
Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this. I don't know how they are now, but the Kyrene District was once highly rated. Sorry, but I've had no reason to return to that area since I left it in 1994 and most of the growth west of I-10 around Chandler Blvd has occurred since then. I admire your dedication to family and putting their best interests ahead of your own. It's becoming a rare quality. I hope everything works out for the best. Oh, and rambling? Not even close.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for your kinds words and encouragement! It certainly was nice to hear considering the stressful decisions that we need to make.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM

283 posts, read 989,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaddict View Post
sWe to live in the COLDEST state in the USA.. with winter always being no higher in temp then -30 and usually colder then that.
There is nowhere in the USA nearly that cold..

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM

155 posts, read 821,443 times
Cool going back to phoenix???

This is for sugar lips
we are moving out of gilbert zrizona after 12 years here - everything is so expensive - the kids live inside the houses, the heat is coming already hit 100 last weekend - homes cost anywhere in the east valley from 280000 to 350000 for 3/2 - no pool - best bet is queen creek area - but that takes 40 min just to get to the highway in the am duet one road
If you don't have to come back - don't -
Have to admit though the schools are great - but then there is a point of quality life, over money, and living inside your home

Old 03-27-2007, 02:36 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deem View Post
This is for sugar lips
we are moving out of gilbert zrizona after 12 years here - everything is so expensive - the kids live inside the houses, the heat is coming already hit 100 last weekend - homes cost anywhere in the east valley from 280000 to 350000 for 3/2 - no pool - best bet is queen creek area - but that takes 40 min just to get to the highway in the am duet one road
If you don't have to come back - don't -
Have to admit though the schools are great - but then there is a point of quality life, over money, and living inside your home
Not to be rude, but all of you whose kids stay in the house because of the heat must have some real wusses for kids! My kid and her friends swim all summer long in the pool at each others houses or in our waterpark. They ride bikes, play baseball, soccer, and swing on the gym set in the back yard. They play in our cul-de-sac after the sun sets on summer days. They get a little red faced and drink a lot of water, but they hardly suffer from cabin fever. I had some relatives visiting from the northland this past week. Their kids loved it. They have been cooped up since November. I don't know where you plan to move, but I have been in a lot of places and this beats just about anywhere for number of potential hours in a year suitable for outdoor activities. I mean even if you are a heat-wimp, there are stil l8-9 months of the year when every day the mornings, evenings, or all day long are beautiful, warm and sunny (not the evenings of course). Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona