Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,560,089 times

Advertisements

I want to start a thread on what draws people to Arizona. I have my reasons for why I love Arizona and look forward to the day I move there.

I can't exactly pinpoint what draws me to Arizona. It could be the blue skies, the palm trees, the mountains, the warmth, the modernity, or it could just be the vibe of the place.

I'd really like to see what drew people to Arizona, and what continues to draw people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,008,385 times
dry air, wide open spaces (outside the two metro areas), lots of public land to play on, variety of landscapes, mostly friendly and unpretentious people, cool history, not too-expensive real estate, low cost of living, reliable weather....

moved here when I was 12 and I plan to die here....

lots of great places to visit all over the world, but I'd rather live here....

Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 AM

861 posts, read 2,183,566 times
My dad moved me here when i was 12 too....didnt have any choice.......moved back to CA some 19 years ago and after 3 years realized that it was no longer home.....and as soon as I could I got back to Az.....I love it here, the desert, mountains, my hometown (Safford) ....just love AZ.

For a little while some 27 years ago I lived in Colo.....beautiful country but when the thermometer hit -20 I was begging God to let me go home to Safford, AZ.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 AM

38,981 posts, read 50,934,843 times
The Army "drew" me here, but I fell in love with the diverse terrain and so many life zones here from deserts to alpine. And much of it is public land where you never see a no trespassing sign and you can get so far away that you might think you are the only person on earth. This is such a lovely state - topped IMO only by California. There is a tourist ad song that goes "Arizona. Has anybody ever seen it all?" After 35 or so years here, I still can't say I have. As far as I care, Phoenix could dry up and blow away. It is just a sorry city like every other sorry city, with too many people and all the problems they cause. One can find a more "fulfilling" urban experience just about anywhere too, if that is what you seek. But the outdoors here is just unbeatable.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,237,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I want to start a thread on what draws people to Arizona. I have my reasons for why I love Arizona and look forward to the day I move there.

I can't exactly pinpoint what draws me to Arizona. It could be the blue skies, the palm trees, the mountains, the warmth, the modernity, or it could just be the vibe of the place.

I'd really like to see what drew people to Arizona, and what continues to draw people there.
Looking forward to no longer have mushrooms sprouting from between my toes and from under my armpits.

LOL

Seriously, though, for us, it's all about the weather. REAL tired of the cold gray skies. When it's nice up here in Seattle, there is NO PART of the mainland US that is more beautiful/wonderful. The problem is, the nice time of the year is just plain far too short.

Heard a saying that very much describes Seattle:

"Living in Seattle is like being married to a beautiful woman - who ALWAYS has a headache."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Looking forward to "living with woman who is maybe a little bit less beautiful, but feels good a LOT more often".

Ken

Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,665,762 times
Family and birthplace. That's it.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM

849 posts, read 2,912,253 times
For me, it's the mountains, the lakes, and the beautiful scenery (northern AZ). I used to live out in Cali and used to visit my folks in Tucson. I really liked the areas in Northern AZ when I went back for a vacation a few years ago, and made up my mind I'd be retiring out there. The only thing I will be missing about Florida is the beach...not a really big deal.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM

683 posts, read 2,643,605 times
Golf!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 AM

314 posts, read 921,919 times
I transfered with my job to Flagstaff (~10 years ago) because there were no openings at the time in Colorado, and because Flagstaff is "similar" to the terrain and weather in Colorado. It's like "Colorado Lite".

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM

78 posts, read 269,450 times
I just moved here about a week ago, and before I moved here I had never been here before. My husband and I moved here to try something different. So far I love everything about it. I love the dry weather (though my skin is still getting used to it), I love the fact that there aren't bugs/flys constantly in my face. Love the fact you can be outside all the time, the sun shines everyday so far, there's no humidity, there seems to be so much more to do here. We came from Green Bay WI where we had lived for a while and the constant cold and snow, unless you like those things, really wears on the spirit. There is more gray days than sun and summer is a short sprint of three months, with July being hot and just as humid, so you're inside for half the summer in air conditioning anyways. We had the most snow on record in December and it just got to be too much. I know people say it gets ungodly hot here in the summer, but you still have seven months where you do have nice weather. I'm really looking forward to living here for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona