Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 AM

24 posts, read 95,547 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a home in Cottonwood and would like some feedback. I'm currently in Quartzsite and know the area a little.
How are taxes, utilities, internet? Also, does this area require vehicles to be smogged? Any input appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 57,553 times
Hi Roadrocker...just wondering if you have received any advice or feedback on Cottonwood (good or bad)? I'm looking to relocate there myself by December and just wondering if you have anything you care to share...did you ever move?

Thanks much and hope to hear from you or any others out there.

Have a beautiful day!
Shar

Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrocker View Post
I am considering buying a home in Cottonwood and would like some feedback. I'm currently in Quartzsite and know the area a little.
How are taxes, utilities, internet? Also, does this area require vehicles to be smogged? Any input appreciated.
Cottonwood is a great place to live. Property tax is relatively low, sales tax is high utilities are ok. Good internet connections of all types. Vehicles do not have to be smogged.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I like Cottonwood myself...it's close to many great things...Mingus Mountain, Jerome, Sedona, and the freeway to Phoenix...it also has pretty good shopping (compared to Sedona).

Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 AM

172 posts, read 422,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Cottonwood is a great place to live. Property tax is relatively low, sales tax is high utilities are ok. Good internet connections of all types. Vehicles do not have to be smogged.
"Vehicles do not have to be smogged."

Don't know if this is true for all vehicles? I'm guessing there are those historic license plates on 60's/70's beater vehicles that emit large amounts of toxic particulates into our environment which bypass smog testing - yes? Why would the lack of regular smog testing for all motor vehicles be a positive thing for the air we all must breathe in our community? The air quality statistics are out there, I've seen them. The air in the Verde Valley is already not so much better than that toxic stew in Phoenix without having the motor vehicle hobbyist fooling around with vehicle emissions equipment on their projects. I've overheard more than a few Arizonians over the years boasting of having altered a catalytic system to improve power/performance of their motor vehicle. The large number of diesel trucks (and equipment that burns diesel) emits small particulate that easily lodges in the lung tissue of all people/mammals (and increases ones risk of cancerous growths), and engineers, researchers, and politicians have been trying to address this health concern for decades, as diesel particulate is at the top of the EPA's list of cancer carcinogens. This presents a huge challenge as so much of our economy is dependent upon a transportation system heavily dependent upon diesel-burning trucks and trains. Why add to this problem within the towns where we live?

There are those people who will engage in activities detrimental to the welfare of their communities. Some are ignorant as to the ramifications of their actions, while others are aware of them but do them anyway. If nothing else think about the health of our children/elderly who are more vulnerable to respiratory infections/conditions. Fortunately most people are not so self-centered and/or naive when it comes to helping improve our public health.

Last edited by bongofury; 10-26-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
I wasn't addressing the pros or cons of vehicle smog inspection, I was just giving a straight answer to the Ops question of whether it is required in Cottonwood or not. Currently, it is not required.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I wasn't addressing the pros or cons of vehicle smog inspection, I was just giving a straight answer to the Ops question of whether it is required in Cottonwood or not. Currently, it is not required.
Fair enough. My mistake.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times
Default Snowfall

I checked out the info on City-data.com for Cottonwood. It indicated an elevation of about 3,300 feet, and an annual snowfall of about 80 inches. That seems like a lot of snow for this combination of elevation and latitude. I'm thinking maybe they've cited the snowfall from a more regional city-perhaps Flagstaff, with a much higher elevation and perhaps a weather station. Noted a similar issue regarding Winslow snowfall on City-data.com.

Any input from locals? How much snow falls through a typical winter in Cottonwood?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM

No snow to worry about in Cottonwood. The 80 inches probably refers to Flagstaff. You might get a light dusting (not much more than a hard frost) of powder once or twice a winter that stays on the ground before melting away in an hour (but this is more common at Sedona elevations and higher). It does get quite nippy in the evening and early am in winter in most of the Verde Valley, and the wind and dryness can really dry out your skin if you aren't careful. Use moisturizer in Arizona wherever you live - especially after forty. Cottonwood has a better offering of the basic amenities (shopping/senior center/library/swimming pool/historic areas/churches/restaurants than many medium/small Arizona towns. Cottonwood is a hospitable AZ town and most residents are friendly and welcoming if you are too. Cottonwood/Verde Valley employment is not so good in these economic times - get a job lined-up before relocating (or are you in retirement?). Best of luck!

Last edited by bongofury; 12-04-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times
Smile Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
No snow to worry about in Cottonwood. The 80 inches probably refers to Flagstaff. You might get a light dusting (not much more than a hard frost) of powder once or twice a winter that stays on the ground before melting away in an hour (but this is more common at Sedona elevations and higher). It does get quite nippy in the evening and early am in winter in most of the Verde Valley, and the wind and dryness can really dry out your skin if you aren't careful. Use moisturizer in Arizona wherever you live - especially after forty. Cottonwood has a better offering of the basic amenities (shopping/senior center/library/swimming pool/historic areas/churches/restaurants than many medium/small Arizona towns. Cottonwood is a hospitable AZ town and most residents are friendly and welcoming if you are too. Cottonwood/Verde Valley employment is not so good in these economic times - get a job lined-up before relocating (or are you in retirement?). Best of luck!
Thanks Bongofury. I suspected the climate data was amiss. Not looking for employment, just doing early "pre-retirement due diligence" at this point. It's probably at least 5 years in the future-maybe more in this economy. I do like Arizona-but dislike the 110 plus degree days of the Phoenix and Tucson areas. We actually have those blistering July and August days here in Northern CA too. Would like to eliminate them from our diet so to speak. Examining our options across pretty much the entire southern third of the country for now. That part of AZ is certainly appealing. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona