Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, as someone who is planning on moving from Seattle to SE Arizona let me chime in.

There is no doubt Washington is an absolutely gorgeous state. We love Eastern Washington - and spent many vacations there back in the days when our kids were young - but the winters are just far too cold for us.

In regards to Seattle (and Western Washington in general) - well, I'm of the opinion that when the weather is nice, there is NO PLACE in the "lower 48" that is more beautiful. Problem is the weather is just not that nice that often. The summer weather is lovely, but far too short for our liking - and far too much of the years is cloudy, damp and cool - and after 35 years, I'm more than ready to move on.

In short I agree with a saying I read once:

"Living in Seattle is like being married to an extremely beautiful woman...

... who always has a headache."

Ken
Now Im sorry I didnt name my Exwife "Seattle"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Okay. I don't think I could live in Eastern Washington due to the winters either, for what it's worth. Seattle of course doens't have the same nasty winters Spokane has. Nice is relative to one's own preferences, so I'll leave it at that.

Come back here in a couple years and tell us what you think of AZ. For me when I moved to Seattle I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I hope your experience with moving to Phoenix is just that.
Actually, we are not moving to Phoenix. It wasn't my intention to move from one extreme to the other, rather I was looking for a place that mild winters (not averaging below freezing at night for any month of the year), warm and sunny but not too hot summers (not averaging over 100 for a high for any month of the year), and with enough rain so that the environment does not appear barren.

As those who've read some of my posts may remember, we started looking at various areas of Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada (we considered California likely to be too expensive). Because we were looking for retirement property, we were not limited to the large cities such as Phoenix - in fact we specifically were NOT looking at large cities (currently living in Seattle, we've had enough of that). Considering though that we will be living on this land during our older years, nearby medical resources were a requirement, as was some degree of shopping - so, we wanted to be near a small town of some sort (with basic services) and within an hour of a major city.

The answer to our search for a "perfect climate" was pretty conclusive: All of Utah and New Mexico are too cold in the winter (mainly due to elevation). Northern Nevada and northern Arizona are again, too cold in the winter. Southern Nevada and SW Arizona are too hot in the summer - but SE Arizona seemed "just right" - for the simple reason that there is a general elevation gain in Southern Arizona as you move east (and way from the lowlands of the Colorado river). Thus while Yuma is a blast furnace at a mere 200 feet, and Phoenix not much cooler at 1,000 feet or so, Tucson is a bit more temperate at 2,400 feet, Benson much more temperate at 3,500 feet and Sierra Vista near perfect at 4,200 feet or so (depending where in the area you happen to be).

So, we ended up with land in the J-6 area, at 4,200 feet - and with January average highs of around 60 (and overnight lows in the mid-30's or so) and Summer highs typically in the upper 80's and low 90's (we average just 3 days/year with temps (barely) in the 100's) and with about the same amount rainfall as Sequim (average of 16-20 inches)/year.

In addition our location puts us 4 minutes from I-10, 10 minutes from the town of Benson (with a basic hospital and some shopping (including a large Walmart)), and 40 minutes from downtown Tucson.

All, in all I think it's a perfect setup for our retirement.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-26-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Of course Phoenix probably isn't much further from the ocean than Spokane is. I would probably prefer to live in one of the more temperate areas of Arizona - like Prescott, maybe - rather than much of eastern WA. But everyone is different.

Quote:
Oh brother, don't get me started.

I don't understand how anyone could move from an ocean state to an inland state. Maybe I put more stock into the ocean thing than others....

Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 AM

399 posts, read 554,244 times
Seattle is a great city. Washington is a gorgeous state.
But it does get overshadowed with its constant rain drizzle, cold weather, and cloudyness.
Those things is what makes it beautiful, but its those things that people want to go away for a while. So they can actually enjoy the beauty outdoors.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Of course Phoenix probably isn't much further from the ocean than Spokane is. I would probably prefer to live in one of the more temperate areas of Arizona - like Prescott, maybe - rather than much of eastern WA. But everyone is different.

Yeah, I probably should have said port cities or cities near ocean, not states with an ocean.

I couldn't live in a small town, so I'd choose Phoenix over prescott even though the latter has better weather.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually, we are not moving to Phoenix. It wasn't my intention to move from one extreme to the other, rather I was looking for a place that mild winters (not averaging below freezing at night for any month of the year), warm and sunny but not too hot summers (not averaging over 100 for a high for any month of the year), and with enough rain so that the environment does not appear barren.

As those who've read some of my posts may remember, we started looking at various areas of Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada (we considered California likely to be too expensive). Because we were looking for retirement property, we were not limited to the large cities such as Phoenix - in fact we specifically were NOT looking at large cities (currently living in Seattle, we've had enough of that). Considering though that we will be living on this land during our older years, nearby medical resources were a requirement, as was some degree of shopping - so, we wanted to be near a small town of some sort (with basic services) and within an hour of a major city.

The answer to our search for a "perfect climate" was pretty conclusive: All of Utah and New Mexico are too cold in the winter (mainly due to elevation). Northern Nevada and northern Arizona are again, too cold in the winter. Southern Nevada and SW Arizona are too hot in the summer - but SE Arizona seemed "just right" - for the simple reason that there is a general elevation gain in Southern Arizona as you move east (and way from the lowlands of the Colorado river). Thus while Yuma is a blast furnace at a mere 200 feet, and Phoenix not much cooler at 1,000 feet or so, Tucson is a bit more temperate at 2,400 feet, Benson much more temperate at 3,500 feet and Sierra Vista near perfect at 4,200 feet or so (depending where in the area you happen to be).

So, we ended up with land in the J-6 area, at 4,200 feet - and with January average highs of around 60 (and overnight lows in the mid-30's or so) and Summer highs typically in the upper 80's and low 90's (we average just 3 days/year with temps (barely) in the 100's) and with about the same amount rainfall as Sequim (average of 16-20 inches)/year.

In addition our location puts us 4 minutes from I-10, 10 minutes from the town of Benson (with a basic hospital and some shopping (including a large Walmart)), and 40 minutes from downtown Tucson.

All, in all I think it's a perfect setup for our retirement.

Ken

Well, you are clearly at a different stage in your life than me, which seems to be the common thread amongst many people on this AZ forum. There are lot of retirees in that part of AZ. A lot of Washington plates in that part of AZ as well, so you may not feel too far from home. ;-) You'll also get real monsoons in the summer, at least compared to Phoenix.

Benson gets 14.21 inches of rain (weather.com) per year with 46% of that in July/august. It's very dry most of the year. You definately won't have that 'always chilly' feel you get in WA.

Good luck on your move.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Well, you are clearly at a different stage in your life than me, which seems to be the common thread amongst many people on this AZ forum. There are lot of retirees in that part of AZ. A lot of Washington plates in that part of AZ as well, so you may not feel too far from home. ;-) You'll also get real monsoons in the summer, at least compared to Phoenix.

Benson gets 14.21 inches of rain (weather.com) per year with 46% of that in July/august. It's very dry most of the year. You definately won't have that 'always chilly' feel you get in WA.

Good luck on your move.
Yeah, it's a bit different for folks approaching retirement than for those who are in the midst of their careers, that's for sure.

Been down there a few times - once in May (though not to SE Arizona on that occasion, but rather to Sedona), once during January (a couple years back - when you folks were having a particularly cold streak) and year before last for 2 weeks during the monsoon season (which was AMAZING) when it was beautifully green.

We're upslope from Benson a bit and get a bit more rain (hence the 16-20 inch average). The reason I know this is because there's a wunderground.com weather station a quarter mile or so from the land (right in J-6 ranchettes) that has readings from the last 5 years or so - hence the temps/rainfall numbers I gave. It's also clear from looking at the USDA Arizona rainfall maps as well as watching the rainfall develop on the online weather radar, that the reason for the slightly increased rainfall is that the rain forms first over the Whetstones just to the south of us and the Little Rincons (and the Rincons) to the north of us, then the clouds link up between them directly overhead - giving us just higher rainfall than Benson - even though Benson is just a few miles away). If you are ever down on I-10 in that area and driving east, you will note that up until the J-6 exit, you are going upwards (slightly). At J-6 you begin the long, downward ride to the San Pedro river. That slight ridge that runs between the Rincons/Little Rincons and the Whetstones is what gives us the additional 700 feet in elevation over Benson - and hence the slightly higher rainfall and slightly cooler temps. Oddly though (and I have not yet figured out why) we have slightly warmer winter nights (as does Sierra Vista at a similar elevation) than Benson does. This relative nearness of the Whetstones (and the rainfall pattern they create) also gives us a fairly secure water supply, with the aquifer being replenished each summer. The state recently stated that our particular area meets the "100 year water supply" criteria.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that (as you mention) we won't have that "always chilly" feeling we get up here - yet will not feel like it's totally barren around (arid yes, but not barren). I have NO DOUBT that there will be lots of times when I miss the rain and the lush green beauty of the PNW, but I'm pretty such the warmth and sunshine will more than make up for it.

Ken

PS - In case you haven't figured it out, I'm kind of a weather and trivia geek - plus (I guess) a natural-born researcher and just plain like to dig up data.

In this case I think it will work well to our advantage.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-26-2009 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 AM

861 posts, read 2,191,015 times
The J-6 area is very nice...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
well there doesnt seem to be very many folks that actually regret it, either that or there arent that many folks from Wa on this forum that made the move to phoenix. I see so many Washington Lic plates there, I thought more would posting.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
well there doesnt seem to be very many folks that actually regret it, either that or there arent that many folks from Wa on this forum that made the move to phoenix. I see so many Washington Lic plates there, I thought more would posting.
First, there were a lot of posts here that made me laugh! So good to read a nice thread about a sometimes arguementative issue.

I think, though, that being homesick isn't just for a particular state, but all northern states, where water and green (and cold) reign. I am from the northern midwest and do miss it terribly! I never realized how much I am "connected" to the northwoods and Lake Superior until I moved here.

I also think that your stage in life matters, as stated by Lord Balfor. Those of us who have young families not only deal with homesickness from a landscape point, but also from a family point. I have never lived very close to my parents, but now I am not even on the same season-schedule as them!

I love a quote by Terry Tempest Williams from her book Red. I have to paraphrase, but basically it is: "Living in the desert, one either comes to an equillibrium with it or moves." So true. I'm in my second summer here, as well. And while my husband is busy trying to move us back north, I am trying to enjoy the beauty of Arizona while we are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona