U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,911,397 times

Advertisements

Let me chime in here:

The summers here in the Phx area do suck------------compared to the PNW.

That stated: I am from the Wash DC area where that damn humidity makes our summers here tolerable by comparision. And we will not even discuss DC's evil winters.

And; I lived in Springfield, Or in 1990 from January-August.......the winter there got on my nerves so much that I was actually looking forward to our hot Az summers and lack of thick vegetation when I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:55 PM

30 posts, read 241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I have never "lived" in either Eastern Wa or Prescott...although I have envied the folks that live in Prescott. Isnt Eastern Wa and Prescott very close the the same climate and topography?
I live in the Wenatchee Valley which is about 120 miles east of Seattle. Although the climate is similar to Prescott, it's far from the same. Prescott received much less snow, avg. 28" as compared to as much as 90" in this area. The highest temp I experienced in Prescott (over a 7 yr. period) was 102 degrees, whereas the Wenatchee Valley can see temps top out over 110 degrees and it can remain there for a few days. The warmest temps in Prescott only remained for a few hours and then the monsoon rains would begin falling and temps could drop 20, 30, even 40 degrees in a matter of hours! Refreshing! Everyone who lived in that part of AZ always looked forward to the monsoons. Yes, humidity would increase but temps would drop, and made it very comfortable. Prescott was usually green in the middle of summer. I guess one of the biggest differences in climate is that AZ gets most of their precip in the summer whereas WA gets the bulk of their precip in the winter months. Snowfall here in eastern WA usually remains on the ground for as much as several months, in Prescott snow would last sometimes only hours. Snow was rarely a problem there. Prescott's climate was the most enjoyable I've ever lived in: we had four seasons but each was relatively mild. Don't forget: Prescott is over 5,000 feet in elevation and on clear winter nights temps could drop to near zero degrees F. The coldest temp I'ver ever experienced was in Leavenworth, WA, here in the Wenatchee Valley, when the mercury dropped to negative 32 degrees. Brrrrrrrrr!
Someone mentioned in another post that Seattle gets no or very little snow. Ha! This past winter saw the most snow the Puget Sound region has received in years. It was a mess! Glad I don't live there! Washington is a beautiful state (I've lived here off and on for more than 30 years), but I prefer to live east of the mountains.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM

20,315 posts, read 23,260,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoco View Post
Someone mentioned in another post that Seattle gets no or very little snow. Ha! This past winter saw the most snow the Puget Sound region has received in years.
Yeah, it was a hard winter FOR US. Still, by the standards of much of the country it was still very little snow.

Ken

Old 04-28-2009, 12:58 AM

29 posts, read 112,607 times
Quote:
Im wanting to move back, I guess I miss the greenery. I am not looking forward to the heat this summer. This is my 2nd summer here. The house is heating up already. Its 85 and Im miserable in here. I also feel land locked, even though the beach is only 5 or 6 hours away. That still feels kinda locked to me.

Is there anyone here that feels this way about their move from the Pacific NW, and is looking at moving back?
I've been on multiple sides of this issue. I grew up in Seattle and went down to Arizona for college. I lived in Tucson and Phoenix and after 7 years down there I decided that I missed my family, lakes, rivers, evergreen trees, deep blue skies, awesome summers and that I was sick and tired of nights that didnt drop below 100 degrees, not being able to cool off for months at a time even in my own house, water that tasted like dirt and a brown pollution cloud, so I moved back to Seattle. That was nearly 10 months ago now and in that time period I stayed in Seattle for 6 weeks and then headed east of the mountains to Spokane for a job, where I have been for the last 8 months. After the winter we had in Spokane, 100+ inches of snow and sub zero temps, along with missing my large group of friends, of which I have none to speak of here, I want to go back to Arizona! Now, I realize that Spokane and Seattle are much different and my original intent was to reside in Seattle and I sort of side stepped that, but I still think that I want to go back to Arizona when my gig is up here in Spokane (which is 22 months from now, not that I have a countdown or anything). My main basis for this... my friends. I've found that its a lot harder to meet people when you're out of college or dont already have an established group of friends (it seems like the more friends you have the more friends you meet because people are always bringing along other acquaintences vs having none you meet none, at least not as close as the friendships you have previously had). Also, I've since realized that regardless of all the reasons that I said I was moving back to Seattle, there was really one main reason and that was my career. I didnt feel like I was going anywhere in Phoenix, but with the job that I have now I'm getting some great experience that I can take anywhere and get a decent job (as long as there are actually jobs to be had!) So maybe those are a couple of other factors to consider - friends/family and jobs. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 113,625 times
I am originally from WA -Marysville, Stanwood, Camano IS and also east - Spokane, Colville areas. Then I lived in Bend Oregon for awhile. I even lived in Snowflake AZ for about 6 months. I just moved to the Phoenix area (Goodyear) last June and I do love the area I live in, but also really miss my trees, lakes, rivers and being closer to the ocean. I had a hard time last summer after we moved here. I really regretted it. I have gotten more use to it now and its not so bad but I still hope to move back to a greener area someday. I like the fall/winter/spring much better here and I think it will be hard now to return to cold and wet for months at a time, but possibly worth it...

Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,609,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heat seekers View Post
I am originally from WA -Marysville, Stanwood, Camano IS and also east - Spokane, Colville areas. Then I lived in Bend Oregon for awhile. I even lived in Snowflake AZ for about 6 months. I just moved to the Phoenix area (Goodyear) last June and I do love the area I live in, but also really miss my trees, lakes, rivers and being closer to the ocean. I had a hard time last summer after we moved here. I really regretted it. I have gotten more use to it now and its not so bad but I still hope to move back to a greener area someday. I like the fall/winter/spring much better here and I think it will be hard now to return to cold and wet for months at a time, but possibly worth it...
I would really miss Marysville if I moved from there. Goodyear is very nice, but HOT.
When I first got here I was in love with the Martian landscape, you know those cool looking jagged edged mountains that surround the valley, but now they just look like piles of dirt to me. I miss the snow peaks and those majestic volcanoes

Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I would really miss Marysville if I moved from there. Goodyear is very nice, but HOT.
When I first got here I was in love with the Martian landscape, you know those cool looking jagged edged mountains that surround the valley, but now they just look like piles of dirt to me. I miss the snow peaks and those majestic volcanoes
A little something I wrote back in 2001:

Mt Rainier: Love at First Sight - Mount Rainier National Park - Epinions.com

There is no doubt I will miss her, but I think the warmth and sunshine will make up for it.

Ken

Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 PM

263 posts, read 981,873 times
Default please, people, let's do her some justice...

...and show what she looks like! most beautiful, majestic, mountain in american mainland i know of. yeah, the rockies are good, but this single mountain is untouchable.

Attached Thumbnails
Any one move from Washington state to AZ and now regrets it?-picture-101.jpg  

Last edited by mikec34; 04-28-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
...and show what she looks like! most beautiful, majestic, mountain in american mainland i know of. yeah, the rockies are good, but this single mountain is untouchable.
Oh yeah, Rainier is without a doubt the most her peak is still higher than almost any mountain in the rockies (and only a few hundred feet lower than the absolute tallest).

Just incredible.
Here in Seattle she's simply referred to as "the Mountain". When someone says "The Mountain is out, EVERYONE know which peak you are talking about."

Ken

Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,609,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh yeah, Rainier is without a doubt the most her peak is still higher than almost any mountain in the rockies (and only a few hundred feet lower than the absolute tallest).

Just incredible.
Here in Seattle she's simply referred to as "the Mountain". When someone says "The Mountain is out, EVERYONE know which peak you are talking about."

Ken
Yeah, I used to live in Vancouver wa, and worked in Portland. I would drive north, and would have MT Hood to my right and amazing Mt St Helens north and to the right. I always knew someday I would not have that view, and I really miss it now.

With that said, I lived in Texas also and had NO mountains to look at in Austin. Im happy to have something to look at. The Superstitions, South Mountain, and That red rock that defines papago park makes the place at least interesting.

Having no evergreen trees covering the mountains, kind of defines the smaller ones that I would not have noticed.

I was riding my bike in the 85 degree heat yesterday. I ride by the canals, because I don't know where else to ride where traffic wont kill me, and it made me think of the natural rivers that define western Wa. It made me wish we had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or