Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Yeah, I used to live in Vancouver wa, and worked in Portland. I would drive north, and would have MT Hood to my right and amazing Mt St Helens north and to the right. I always knew someday I would not have that view, and I really miss it now.

With that said, I lived in Texas also and had NO mountains to look at in Austin. Im happy to have something to look at. The Superstitions, South Mountain, and That red rock that defines papago park makes the place at least interesting.

Having no evergreen trees covering the mountains, kind of defines the smaller ones that I would not have noticed.

I was riding my bike in the 85 degree heat yesterday. I ride by the canals, because I don't know where else to ride where traffic wont kill me, and it made me think of the natural rivers that define western Wa. It made me wish we had one.

Of course there's a reason why you left WA in the first place. I can only guess it wasn't because you prefer to ride next to a dusty canal instead of Alki beach, or to view the SS mountains instead of mt. Rainier. Sometimes the initial reason(s) no longer applies, other times we simply forget that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
One reason why Rainier stands out so much (ditto it's Cascades brother Mt. Shasta in California) is that it's somewhat isolated, in terms of nearby big peaks, plus the base is at a relatively low elevation. Colorado, on the other hand, has an astounding 54 peaks over 14,000 feet - the so-called Fourteeners.

Although they are under 13,000 feet, I've always liked the view of the snow-capped San Francisco Peaks from a place like Flagstaff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh yeah, Rainier is without a doubt the most her peak is still higher than almost any mountain in the rockies (and only a few hundred feet lower than the absolute tallest).

Just incredible.
Here in Seattle she's simply referred to as "the Mountain". When someone says "The Mountain is out, EVERYONE know which peak you are talking about."

Ken

Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
One reason why Rainier stands out so much (ditto it's Cascades brother Mt. Shasta in California) is that it's somewhat isolated, in terms of nearby big peaks, plus the base is at a relatively low elevation. Colorado, on the other hand, has an astounding 54 peaks over 14,000 feet - the so-called Fourteeners.
Yeah, they're high but remember, their bases are at 6,000 feet or more (the level of the Great Plains), so the actual height of those mountains (from the base of the peak to the top) is more like 8,000 feet or so - and Washington State has over 100 of those. Then on top of that you have the handful of true giants in the Cascades. If peaks like Rainier and Baker started out at the 6,000 foot level of the Great Plains the way the peaks in the Rockies do, then they'd be at or near 20,000 feet high. No matter how you look at it, Peaks like Rainier are absolutely mammoth - and they look it.

Colorado is gorgeous - no doubt about it - and I love it. A family trip to Estes Park when I was kid was my very first taste of the West - and simply blew me away. I also lived a year or so outside of Colorado Springs as a kid and hiked some of the peaks in the area with my dad so I have some familiarity with the state.

Still, when it comes to impressive peaks nothing quite matches mountains like Rainier - in part for the reason you mention - that Rainier towers so much over the surrounding mountains. Just remember, those surrounding mountains - which look so tiny next to Rainier - are from top to bottom nearly the equal of the very highest peaks in the Rockies. The total elevation is not as high of course, but the single chunks of stone that makes up each of those lower peaks is more or less the equal of the single chunk of stone that makes up even Longs' Peak (highest mountain in Colorado).

Of course, in the final analysis, they're ALL lovely.

ClimbingWashington.com - Features : Washington's 100 Highest Mountains.

Ken

Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
I didn't move from WA but my sisters both live there and it is beautiful! It's so stimulating up there with the cool weather and view from anywhere. It really gets all your senses going at the same time!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post

Although they are under 13,000 feet, I've always liked the view of the snow-capped San Francisco Peaks from a place like Flagstaff.
Those peaks in the rockies start from a base thats already 5k, so really your only looking at 9K from the base.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Yes, From Washington, but Still Looking Elsewhere

I don't regret leaving Seattle - born and raised there. I left in 2001 the first time, and really enjoyed Vegas. I went back to Seattle, and came to Albuquerque in 2007, then Vegas again in 2008 and finally to Flagstaff.

Arizona and NM didn't work for me for several reasons. One, both of my employment fields can be unionized. And, down here, people hire "who they know," rather than the best candidate. Although the weather is much better, I'm used to more outgoing, friendly people where you know all of your neighbors on a deep personal level, and the streets don't roll up at 7pm, and it's still "OK" to knock on your neighbor's door after 9pm at night.

I find people in Flag are "cliquish" and have their own exclusive groups of friends. But that's because it's an art community, same thing in Sedona, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque, but NOT nearly as much in Vegas -- because it's a town of West Coast transplants.

Most people I've met who moved to Arizona and New Mexico from Seattle, L.A., Oregon, and NY don't like it here, sometimes for the "cliquishness," and sometimes for political reasons. We're lucky as Americans to have 50 states to choose between and thousands of cities.

That said, I will have lifelong friends from Vegas and Flagstaff.

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 05-01-2009 at 03:20 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM

191 posts, read 559,906 times
Default Any one move from Washington state to AZ and now regrets it?

I would have no regrets. Was just in Phx last week and have been there several times Love it! Hubby/I are in Seattle. Can't wait to move. Used to live in TX and miss the hot weather, fast pace and alot of stuff going on. Sick of having to use the fireplace in May. It's all what your used to.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
I would have no regrets. Was just in Phx last week and have been there several times Love it! Hubby/I are in Seattle. Can't wait to move. Used to live in TX and miss the hot weather, fast pace and alot of stuff going on. Sick of having to use the fireplace in May. It's all what your used to.
Phoenix is not really a fast pace kinda place if you ask me. This is the Phoenix forum, so I might find some disagreement, but Seattle seemed to have a little more going on. I did go on a 10 mile bike ride today however, just following the dusty canals (wasnt too bad) and I had alot of fun doing it. I lived in Texas too, wow, am I soooooooooooooo glad to be outa there. I wont bore anywone why.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
I grew up in North Seattle (Martha Lake) and went to WSU before moving to AZ in 1982. I can see how there can be so many depressed sex offenders grown in the PNW (what is with those statistics)! It is the overcast 60deg, dreary and rain constantly (though I am seeing you are really having a summer with 100+ temps now and that is darn hot without AC!). You don't notice it living in the PNW, but move to AZ and you find that on raining days you just don't feel as upbeat and those are only about 30 days of the year. No snow or flooding in the metro areas.. if you want to ski - drive a couple of hours. If you want the beach... go to Mexico or CA. If you want Trees - go to the RIM. If you want nighlife, go to Tempe AZ. I had always thought I was positive and happy growing up in Western WA until I moved to AZ and got my daily dose of Vit D and love it! Arizona is beautiful... you just have to have an open mind at first and realize you will adapt and it gets easier.
My Family has followed me here in the late 80's and for the first few years before their blood thinned and got used to our summers, they too said they wanted to go home. Well, home is where your family is.... mine is here in AZ now... all transplants following me here. The other 9 months of the year are just SPECTACULAR. Our summers are still enjoyable with every home having their own pools and air conditioning during the workdays - then the winter comes and we REALLY SMILE when we hear of your weather. Washington State is a great place to VISIT, but you wouldn't catch me EVER living there again - PS. we also don't have earthquakes!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,847 times
I love hearing positives about Arizona! I too want to move there from Puget Sound, and one other negative about the Seattle area that nobody has mentioned is the rising pollution level. Last summer I felt sick on several occasions when I was biking, walking, playing tennis right after work during rush hour traffic. Well, I did some research and it turns out that sunshine reacts with car emissions and creates ozone! The American Lung Association gave King County an F when it comes to ozone pollution. I've always thought the clouds were depressing, but now I'm more than ready to find a small town in AZ where I can get some exercise year-round and not have to worry about getting dizzy or breathless or rained on! In fact, right now we have a stagnant air warning and unhealthy ozone for sensitive people due to the 100 degree weather. I used to love summers here, but now I just want to get away from the traffic and pollution that I've apparently become sensitive to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona