Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 32,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9hauntedgirls View Post
I moved from AZ (Tucson) to WA (Olympia, southwest WA) a little over 2 years ago, and I think it was a mistake. I thought I wanted to live in a radically different climate, but all I really needed was a vacation.

It's interesting that another poster says they're sick of the "cliquishness" of AZ, when in the WA forum there's at least one looooong thread devoted to the "Seattle Freeze." And it's not just limited to Seattle - we've got it in my part of WA too.

But to each their own. WA isn't for me; AZ is.
Interesting. My family has been considering that same move. We are currently in Tucson and can't STAND the heat. It has been 108 for the last two weeks at least. I know making the change to a radically different climate would be an adjustment, but doesn't the sheer beauty of the area compensate for that? I am sick of looking at barren desert and sucking in dust every time the hot wind blows. I also don't want to make a mistake. Many factors to consider. Oh, and did I mention the HORRIBLE school systems in Tucson. Yeah, pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,920 times
I 4 1/2 years ago and luv it down here....

Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM

8 posts, read 37,241 times
We live on a sail boat in Wa. Also have bought a small house in AZ, Presto! Best of both worlds. AZ In the Winter WA in the summer..

Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabintop View Post
We live on a sail boat in Wa. Also have bought a small house in AZ, Presto! Best of both worlds. AZ In the Winter WA in the summer..
that would be perfect, as long as you were retired or had two jobs, no kids and lots of money. Snowbirds have it good.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:00 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabintop View Post
Sounds perfect!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
NO! I love Seattle but could never live there again. Doom and gloom...however, the goal is to own a second home there for summer and some winter visits. But never regret leaving Seattle or not returning for a career move either.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Seattle is the most expensive state, regressive taxes, poor schools, greatest disparity between rich and poor, unfriendly natives, narrow roads, heavy traffic, lots of parks but too rainy to enjoy them, cold, bitter, winters, short days, dark and dismal, blinding rain, constant rain, no sunshine. Why would anyone miss that?

Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyclover View Post
Seattle is the most expensive state, regressive taxes, poor schools, greatest disparity between rich and poor, unfriendly natives, narrow roads, heavy traffic, lots of parks but too rainy to enjoy them, cold, bitter, winters, short days, dark and dismal, blinding rain, constant rain, no sunshine. Why would anyone miss that?
Lots of inaccuracies in your post.

First of all Seattle is a CITY - not a state, and Seattle is NOT the most expensive city nor Washington the most expensive state - that "honor" goes to Hawaii, followed by California, followed by Alaska. In fact Arizona rates higher than Washington in that regard.

Cost of Living 3rd Quarter 2009

Taxes ARE regressive in Washington. Schools really vary, but overall education in Washington state is pretty good (we rate #8 overall for our high schools).

America's Best High Schools: State-by-State Statistics - US News and World Report

I rather doubt the disparity between rich and poor that you mention (poor areas here are NOTHING like those found along the Eastern Seaboard).

Our roads are not narrow (try driving roads in downtown Boston).
Traffic in the Puget Sound area IS heavy - but the rest of the state doesn't have that problem.

It IS rainy here - at least in the western half of the state - the eastern half is a desert. Cold? Well, that depends on your frame of reference and WHERE in the state you looking. Eastern Washington IS cold in the winter but Seattle isn't really cold by the standards of most of the country. Our winters are indeed wet and gloomy but pretty mild - and at no time of the year does the average overnight low ever drop below freezing (not even in January) - and you can't say that about any other region of the US that is ANYWHERE NEAR our latitude. "Blinding rain" though? Not really. It's more like endless drizzle. Tucson gets more "blinding rainstorms" than Seattle does.

Short days? True enough in the winter - but summer days are LONGGGGGGG - with daylight lasting until after 10P in late June and early July.

Ken

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM

256 posts, read 541,360 times
Lived in Eugene moved to Flagstaff it was fun for a while then it sucked and I moved back

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

152 posts, read 298,781 times
The typical trend that I've noticed... the person moves to AZ, gets home sick, freaks out about summer, moves back

"home"
, realizes "home' wasn't as they remembered, gets a whole new appreciation for AZ then moves back to AZ.

For me it took moving to Hawaii and dealing with that cost of living to get an appreciation for AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona