U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 PM

219 posts, read 493,635 times

Advertisements

What is really tiring is people throwing the race card around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,606,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Well, Arizona would have to go against the previous Plyler v. Doe US Supreme Court ruling; it was made as the judges ruled that the children cannot be punished for their parents' decisions.
Remember - Pyler was actually about FUNDING. AND, the Court also wrote; therefore had protection from discrimination unless a substantial state interest could be shown to justify it.

The Court left the door open - and, in light of current economic conditions, Employer Sanctions laws, Swine Flu from Mexico, etc., etc., IMLO, a case of "subtantial state interest" could be built.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
They tend to do that when they are desperate and have no other logical response.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 PM

3,151 posts, read 5,207,271 times
Yes, I understand that the issue was over funding. Oyez's summary states that the conclusion found that illegals have 14th Amendment rights. While the McGuffin is the funding, the conclusion states that illegals have these rights.

I understand the door is left open regarding "compelling state interests" - Here is the question: how would Arizona demonstrate state interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Remember - Pyler was actually about FUNDING. AND, the Court also wrote; therefore had protection from discrimination unless a substantial state interest could be shown to justify it.

The Court left the door open - and, in light of current economic conditions, Employer Sanctions laws, Swine Flu from Mexico, etc., etc., IMLO, a case of "subtantial state interest" could be built.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM

17,616 posts, read 21,021,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7 View Post
What is tiring is bigots being allowed to air their hate speech under the guise of caring about "the law".

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM

7,991 posts, read 16,254,328 times
There seems to be an abundance of Legal BS flying around concerning this particular issue.

Bottom Line . . . Illegals should have absolutely NO "rights" in this country. Any and all "rights" were surrendered when they blatantly violated the sovereignty of The United Stated by entering illegally.

Freebies in the form of free education, free meals, free healthcare or welfare of any type do nothing but encourage and entice more illegals.

Sorry if this appears COLD, however, we are no long able to support the world.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Bummer, Oyez says that Plyler v. Doe established: "The Court reasoned that illegal aliens and their children, though not citizens of the United States or Texas, are people "in any ordinary sense of the term" and, therefore, are afforded Fourteenth Amendment protections. "

In other words, Bummer, illegal immigrants have rights.

The only way Arizona can deny schooling is if it can demonstrate a "compelling state interest."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
There seems to be an abundance of Legal BS flying around concerning this particular issue.

Bottom Line . . . Illegals should have absolutely NO "rights" in this country. Any and all "rights" were surrendered when they blatantly violated the sovereignty of The United Stated by entering illegally.

Freebies in the form of free education, free meals, free healthcare or welfare of any type do nothing but encourage and entice more illegals.

Sorry if this appears COLD, however, we are no long able to support the world.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM

101 posts, read 150,431 times
Bummer, I totally agree. When I registered both my kids in school in Calif. I had to produce a birth certificate, proof of address and their shot records. A friend of mine works for the Elsinore School District in Rvsde. County. The school she works at has a high hispanic enrollment and she says what these kids get in resources is unbelievable. Not only do they get the free meals, breakfast and lunch mind you, the parents know about other services. Word has spread that other services are available... ie...asst. in obtaining school supplies, clothes; not only for the enrolled child but for the others at home, and on and on. Not only is the taxpayers paying for the schooling but they are paying for section 8 housing, WIC, food stamps and Medi-Cal. Now let me ask how much longer the taxpayers can keep this up! I work as an RN in a hospital out here. Not only do the illegals utilize the ER as their primary care and drop anchor babies in the L&D, some come in extremely sick and are sent to ICU for sometimes days and weeks. What about the ones that are trauma patients, they go to surgery, ICU, surgical floor and then they need to be transferred to rehab., which sometimes will be for eternity because they are ventilator dependent. Who pays for all that....us lucky taxpayers. My husband is in law enforcement and I won't even get into what he sees everyday. Law enforcement is extremely frustrated and their hands are tied. There is only so much this country can handle and I think it has reached its limits. It will be interesting to see the goverment handle this flu crisis. Even with all this media hype I think the cases are being under reported. Sorry for the rant but this subject just seems to be a no-brainer....SECURE OUR BORDERS AND ENFORCE THE LAWS!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What is tiring is bigots being allowed to air their hate speech under the guise of caring about "the law".
Are you calling me a bigot?

Are you asserting that anyone who opposes ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (regardless of the country of origin) is a bigot?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Okay.

1. School districts grant access to schools based on living in a certain location; they do not care what citizenship you are. They just want you to live in their district.
2. Shot records = kids have to be immunized. That's fair
3. Not sure why they ask for the birth certificate. Maybe to prove you are the rightful parent/guardian?
4. School districts are obligated to provide resources for people living in the district - But what does that mean?

I could understand giving away supplies, but school districts shouldn't try to over-reach themselves, IMO. Maybe one pack of school supplies, but that's it.

It helps to get news sources/documentation to prove your claims.

Now, careful to keep things school-related. Otherwise this could get tossed into the immigration forums.

If you want a reply to every non-school related thing, please make a new post at the immigration forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy2 View Post
Bummer, I totally agree. When I registered both my kids in school in Calif. I had to produce a birth certificate, proof of address and their shot records. A friend of mine works for the Elsinore School District in Rvsde. County. The school she works at has a high hispanic enrollment and she says what these kids get in resources is unbelievable. Not only do they get the free meals, breakfast and lunch mind you, the parents know about other services. Word has spread that other services are available... ie...asst. in obtaining school supplies, clothes; not only for the enrolled child but for the others at home, and on and on. Not only is the taxpayers paying for the schooling but they are paying for section 8 housing, WIC, food stamps and Medi-Cal. Now let me ask how much longer the taxpayers can keep this up! I work as an RN in a hospital out here. Not only do the illegals utilize the ER as their primary care and drop anchor babies in the L&D, some come in extremely sick and are sent to ICU for sometimes days and weeks. What about the ones that are trauma patients, they go to surgery, ICU, surgical floor and then they need to be transferred to rehab., which sometimes will be for eternity because they are ventilator dependent. Who pays for all that....us lucky taxpayers. My husband is in law enforcement and I won't even get into what he sees everyday. Law enforcement is extremely frustrated and their hands are tied. There is only so much this country can handle and I think it has reached its limits. It will be interesting to see the goverment handle this flu crisis. Even with all this media hype I think the cases are being under reported. Sorry for the rant but this subject just seems to be a no-brainer....SECURE OUR BORDERS AND ENFORCE THE LAWS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona