Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There are no "personal history checks" in Arizona. You can register, and vote, the same day.
Aha! That is part of the problem.

Texas has the following rule for voting: https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/vr17.pdf (broken link)

"Your voter registration will become effective 30 days after it is received or on your 18th birthday, whichever is later. Your registration must be effective
on or before an election in order to vote in that election."

Arizona should institute this rule and then do background checks to ensure that the applications are legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Aha! That is part of the problem.

Arizona should institute this rule and then do background checks to ensure that the applications are legitimate.
We did have. Courts got involved.

We also have the "Motor Voter" law - can register when getting a drivers license.

It is what it is.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
We did have. Courts got involved.

We also have the "Motor Voter" law - can register when getting a drivers license.

It is what it is.
Wait, did the state courts intervene and say the proposed law was unconstitutional? I'm not sure what the weaknesses are in the Motor Voter thing, but I would imagine there would be some loophole involved.

Now I see why the Arizona citizens and local governments react so negatively to illegal immigration.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM

Arizonans react "negatively" to illegal immigration because of the cost of illegal immigrants on the taxpayers, the increase in crime, the overloading of our schools, the overloading of the public health system, the decline of certain neighborhoods etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Arizonans react "negatively" to illegal immigration because of the cost of illegal immigrants on the taxpayers, the increase in crime, the overloading of our schools, the overloading of the public health system, the decline of certain neighborhoods etc.
What I meant was that the laws make it easier for fraud from illegal immigrants, which makes the impact worse in Arizona than in Texas.

As for the health aspect: some Houston nonprofits open health clinics in certain neighborhoods to serve illegals and the uninsured so they don't clog the ERs of the public hospitals. Texas Children's opens third pediatric primary care practice - Houston Business Journal:

For schools: Texas schools are funded by property taxes. I am not sure which school district would be the most impacted by illegal immigration (that would be interesting to find out) but Houston ISD, the largest in the Houston area, gets a lot in property taxes, so it has to "give" extra funds to other school districts.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Frankly - I could care less what Houston does.

This is an Arizona thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Frankly - I could care less what Houston does.

This is an Arizona thread
But looking to what agencies and governments in other states do to deal with illegal immigration will help solve the problems in Arizona.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
THANK YOU, Greatday!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
But looking to what agencies and governments in other states do to deal with illegal immigration will help solve the problems in Arizona.
Sorry - Texas is not, and has not, been a "role model" for anything in Arizona - nor, ever will be.

It should be the other way around - When did Texas pass an Employer Sanctions Law? When did they prosecute their first employer?

And, how about swearing in City Cops to be Federal officers?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Quote:
If they got the same benefits as citizens, then they would:
* Be able to vote
* Be able to use the Social Security system (yes, illegals do contribute Social Security money)
* Be able to stay in the country after committing a DUI or another serious crime
You misunderstood me. I meant benefits at work. Not from the government.

I have worked with plenty of illegals in the past. They received the exact same benefits as American citizens. i.e. vacation time, pay, 401k.

If the government wanted to stop illegal immigration it would.

If American citizens wanted to stop illegal immigration they would vote in politicians that would put a stop to it.

I just think it is insane to punish employers for something that is the clearly the governments responsibility. Employers are going to hire who they think will do the best job. They could care less what country someone is from.

And I would presume if they were interested in checking people immigration status they would be working for the government.

Private employers are not law enforcement. Forcing them to do the governments job (keeping illegals out) without compensation is nothing more than forced labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona