U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM

443 posts, read 1,473,811 times

Advertisements

""""In all seriousness if you move into an area that has been developed for many years you will most likely never see one. If you move to an area that is newly developed or is in a more rural environment, you might come across some.""""

I tend to agree with this. I moved to Yuma in a brand new development and only one of my neighbors found a scorpion. Her son put it in a jar and it died a few days later. We has a much bigger problem with black widows and those DANG crickets...man I hate crickets....it got better over a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM

8,626 posts, read 10,901,536 times
We counted 5 on our patio last summer. So far so good, none in the house that we have run in to. I am sure it will happen. We do shake towels and check shoes. Usually do not run around barefoot. Not afraid of them or rattle snakes, just very cautious. Get a pest service that gets rid of their food source and that might help.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM

131 posts, read 160,842 times
Quote:
The bad news is that nearly 5 percent of all people who get stung by bark scorpions suffer severe reactions to the sting. Those reactions can be life-threatening, especially in young children or elderly victims.
This is vital, we cant control small cildren all the time and we all get elderly.

And we arent always sharp in our minds, can be tired, heat exhausted, sick or drunk etc.
Seems to be the same as in Australia, a nice climate balances other risks.

Where I live we can freeze to death outside or if heating fails at home, how many dies of heat in AZ instead?

I've seen on the option of moving to AZ due to Alcor and Cryonics, the best is there I guess, the other one is in Michigan. Just as in Spain, winters are nice in AZ, summers not so. In Spain it can be fatal to be out when its hot, in AZ there are more AC but it can fail, so dont hang your life on it. Also some mean they get kind of flu of to much AC, can U live there without AC?

As far as I've seen on a list of hazards its not only Scorpions, will see if I can find it again.
Last time I looked at risks balancing benefits, was that increasing risks for children and those weakly at any age, the heat and bad air sometimes in the valley. Then for me who is not used to it, all crazy armed crooks and normal folks who might flip over with their guns handy. After watching Cops in TV, guns doesnt seem to be that much of a problem, but worse than here where we strangely can live without most of them, as in most of EUrope.

All for now or I'll add more after eating

Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 AM

8 posts, read 41,898 times
I've lived in AZ for over 16 years. Some places have lots of scorpions (desert areas, newly developed, horse properties, etc). Some places you may never see one. I remember about 10-15 years ago the Arizona Republic printing an article about where in the valley there were more scorpions. They based it on reports from hospitals. It was interesting.
Our last house we had a few scorpions, but because we had regular pest control they were usually dead or dopey. My pest control guy told me to pick them up with kitchen tongs. They are icky. I lived in Arizona 8 years before I actually saw my first scorpion (good thing, too - because that gave me time to fall in love with the place before the scorpions scared me off!)
I'm so glad the house we are in now doesn't seem to have any (we've been here a year and 2 months and I haven't seen one, yet.)

Old 05-12-2007, 07:26 PM

421 posts, read 213,873 times
There's a lot of things in life that are unpleasant that aren't necessarily going to kill you. Even if humans win 99.999% of encounters with scorpions, I would much rather not have an encounter with a scorpion.

Phoenix is a city that I'm thinking about moving to in the future, but some of this stuff really puts me off. I kind of like the idea of living on the mountainside desert overlooking a city, but folks here say that's the worst place for scorpions.

Also I think it's seriously weird that average people in Arizona keep chickens around just so that they eat the scorpions. The only chickens I've seen in Ohio are packaged at the supermarket.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,472 times
Default Do I need a shrink or prescription drugs?

I grew up in Phoenix, never seeing a single scorpion, and now, thirty years later, am living smack in the middle of a huge scorpion population. With the backyard up against the Wash, which is a northern section that is not concrete, I've lived through two summers trying to overcome the fear of hunting These Bastards.

Year 1: intense fear, total bewilderment, not understanding.
Year 2: intense fear, able to hunt, master of the black light and rubber mallet.
Year 3: intense fear, prepared, yet still my head spins while searching for them.

My kill ratio is increasing yearly.
Year 1 resulted in less than ten kills. I didn't know what to look for, where, or how. Year 2 was proudly labeled a success with 175 kills listed for daily hunts between April 17th and October 10th.
This year? 31 since April 4th. Bastards.

Pull out the fan covers in the bathrooms. Hot glue some screen to the cover and replace. When scorpions invade through the vents, they don't always drop straight into the toilet.

More plans: fill the cracks in the block fence, seal the eaves around the perimeter of the house, and maybe fog out the attic space. Screen the tops of the vents on the roof.

Procrastination plans: clearing out the boxes and cabinets from the garage. It's too hot to work in the garage except at night. My head spins just thinking about it.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:25 PM

19,646 posts, read 51,214,300 times
LOL

Interesting! You shouldnt really kill them though... they eat other crap you REALLY wouldnt want around (ie black widows, cockroaches, etc).

Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 50,831 times
Default Seal your house

I have lived in Arizona for 33 years. I have owned several homes and have had each home "sealed" for scorpions and other bugs. Most pest control companies are equipped to handle such things. They put a tight seal around the perimeter of your home and also put a specific "dust" (that kills scorpions), in the attic and they seal the vents (with a wire mesh). It typically costs a thousand (or so) dollars per home but it is worth it. I have never been stung , nor have my children (teenagers). I do have a few friends that have been stung but it has never amounted to anything serious.
Scorpions, rattlesnakes and the like, really do exist. If you live in Arizona, you most likely will see one or the other, probably both from time to time. I truely feel you should just seal your home so that you may rest easy.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,388,459 times
Here's a very helpful article about the habits of scorpions and methods to keep them out of your home as well as making your yard less attractive to them..

http://www.normbb.com/page/page/4426636.htm

Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 AM

11 posts, read 38,772 times
I have lived in AZ for 19 years and I have seen a grand total of two scorpions, and my husband has lived here for 28 years, and he saw one of the ones I saw. Actually, he STEPPED on that one barefoot (it blended in to the carpet, and he hadn't had his coffee yet) and was stung, but being over six feet tall and 230+ pounds, he just went numb up to his knee for a few hours and it passed harmlessly. That's probably not a great story to tell you though

Truthfully, both times I saw a scorpion, it could have been prevented. Scorpions only go where there's water, cool air, or food. By making sure your house doesn't have any gaps, you'll keep the critters out. We had a gap about a square-inch in size missing from the weather stripping on our front door the two I saw came in, attracted by the toilet water in the hall bathroom. We finally fixed that gap two years ago and haven't seen another.

Also, some neighborhoods were built on old orchard grounds, which is where most people who frequently see scorpions live. We have always lived in neighborhoods that used to be ranch land. You just need to find out the history of your neighborhood before you buy, and it only takes a little asking, most people know what was what around here.

So knowledge of how to keep them out is all you need, and it looks like this forum can give you some good advice!

Really, over all, i would higly recommend living in Arizona, its a great place!! Just make sure to drink lots of water and have lots of sun screen on hand, and you'll have a great time here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona