Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'd go see Sedona instead, you could easily add Jerome and Prescott to that trip. Closer, safer, all that.
Great suggestion / advice, Observer!

Possibly even The Train from Williams to The Canyon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
While I feel very safe puttering around AZ, I would not go into Mexico unless I am on a cruise ship. I hear of kidnappings across the border and flying bullets. No thanks. I agree with the poster on Sedona...very neat place to go. If you do insist on going into Mexico, take a passport and get back across before dark.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM

81 posts, read 230,590 times
Go to Sedona, AZ instead. The drive from Phoenix to Sedona is like no other.

Or drive out to Tortilla Flats. That's an awesome drive too.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
if you do go to Mexico, instead of Sedona, Sasabe will be much more "realistic" than Nogales if you want an old Mexico feeling....but Sasabe has very little of interest to American tourists and is farther from Phx than Nogales...Sasabe, Sonora, is very small and quiet, has mostly unpaved streets, junky one-story buildings, and little in the way of attractions....the crossing may only be open in the daytime, too....bring your passport!!

if you go to Nogales, stay on I-19 to its VERY end and look for a pay parking lot on this side and walk across thru obvious pedestrian gates where others are headed...there are also pedestrian-only gates a couple hundred feet to the west and east of the main car crossing....don't go to the Mariposa crossing.....when returning, you'll need to be ready to state your citizenship and declare any purchases (limited amounts are allowed)...bring your passport and don't carry a weapon!!!....

Nogales is not the real Mexico....right across the line, it is very tourist-oriented and sorta frantic, dirty, junky, poor, sad....some Americans can be jerks gawking at the cute donkeys or the "quaint" little Mexican kids trying to sell you Chiclets....dress modestly and not flashy....

if you want to see the real Mexico, you'd have to spend a day traveling beyond the border towns and drive thru back roads and towns south of the line....there is the border fence all along the line, but most remote areas do not have roads right next to it if you just want to peer into Mexico, as you suggested....you could take pictures from the Nogales areas along the fence into Sonora with the fence in the frame...that could be an interesting shot, but will only show the city of Nogales, Sonora, and its poverty

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,588 times
I just think that once you actually get to the Mexico border you will be like "okay.. this is it? now what?". I mean, it isn't like a wonder to see or anything. Unless you are going down to a nice vacation spot I wouldn't waste my time.

However, you said this is something you would like to do and i'm sure no one can change your mind if that is what you are set on Good luck and be careful!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i wouldn't do it

one thing, if you do take a car into mexico, buy insurance for the auto/liability - you will not be covered in MX under your US policy ..... pretty much any insurance policy will exclude MX as part of the coverage territory

i also wouldn't make the drive - i would much rather go to jerome, tortilla flats, oatman, bisbee, tubac, etc if I wanted kind of an offbeat or dusty experience

there is so much to see in AZ that is nice (throwing in sedona, flagstaff in august, drive through the salt river canyon, train to the grand canyon, etc) there is no reason to go to a border town

basically you walk across, get hounded by a bunch of beggars and kids trying to sell you gum - it's dirty, it's poor, a bunch of junky tourist spots and whatever restaurants

you'll also need a passport in august to get back in

i have zero desire to ever go back to a border town - if anything if that becomes your only perception of MX it may make you not want to go to the country at all - don't jade yourself with a worthless trip and plan a vacation there if it's a place you really want to see

Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
The Border Towns are definitely unique, Tom, not quite as quaint and charming as you describe but unique nonetheless.

However, I agree with Rick. Do not even think about driving a Rental Car into Mexico. Also, if you insist on going and decide to walk across, for your own safety, make certain you are back on the American side well before dark.

Good Luck
Yep. Exactly. When the sunset was going down and I had an hour to go over the border and i freaked out!

and then i made it.

Nogo is called nogo for a reason. Everything is fine during the day with the sunlight, everyone working, the walmart and other fast food areas open. Then dust sets in, the hundreds of people living in the shacks near the border start comming out, the stench of raw feces is looming. Sounds like a zombie movie, but it is a border town.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM

122 posts, read 307,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
"Sasabe... "very small and quiet, has mostly unpaved streets, junky one-story buildings, and little in the way of attractions...."

"Nogales is not the real Mexico....right across the line, it is very tourist-oriented and sorta frantic, dirty, junky, poor, sad....some Americans can be jerks gawking at the cute donkeys or the "quaint" little Mexican kids trying to sell you Chiclets....dress modestly and not flashy....

"you could take pictures from the Nogales areas along the fence into Sonora with the fence in the frame...that could be an interesting shot, but will only show the city of Nogales, Sonora, and its poverty"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
"i wouldn't do it... there is no reason to go to a border town..."

"basically you walk across, get hounded by a bunch of beggars and kids trying to sell you gum - it's dirty, it's poor, a bunch of junky tourist spots and whatever restaurants..."

"i have zero desire to ever go back to a border town..." "a worthless trip..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
"i freaked out!"

"Nogo is called nogo for a reason..." "dust sets in, the hundreds of people living in the shacks near the border start comming out, the stench of raw feces is looming. Sounds like a zombie movie, but it is a border town."
Did you get all that, Tom? Now go and have a "unique experience", and don't be the typically loud, gawky, and judgemental "ugly American", okay?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
and yet you were unable to mention one redeeming reason why anyone would ever want to go to one to nogales or any of the towns along the US/MX border

there is nothing there that would be worth 6 hours in a car

Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
Did you get all that, Tom? Now go and have a "unique experience", and don't be the typically loud, gawky, and judgemental "ugly American", okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
and yet you were unable to mention one redeeming reason why anyone would ever want to go to one to nogales or any of the towns along the US/MX border

there is nothing there that would be worth 6 hours in a car
I am confused by these two statements. One looks like it is nothing and the other makes it look like i should be angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona