U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,835,121 times

Advertisements

I have had a recently growing interest in the "acacis tortilis" or Umbrella Thorn Acacia. What drew my attention was the size the tree can get, 35' to 60' tall.

How many African tree's have come to AZ? Why aren't there more here in Arizona that come from the Savanna? I don't know how intrusive their root system are or how sturdy they are when it comes to extreme winds that we do have sometimes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM

33,963 posts, read 43,660,889 times
That is a cool tree. Looks like it should have lions underneath it. Where can you get one - tree not lion?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM

You can buy the acai pea pods, but there seems to be a large amount of care to the child before it can become a very fruitful and hardy tree.. It seems UofA has done extensive research on the savanna plants and its great uses and i do not know if it was them or somewhere else claiming the tree wanting sulfric acid at a point. Oh it was on the website i was reading on.

"Several studies on seed treatment indicate that maximum germination in shortest time could be achieved by soaking the seeds in concentrated sulphuric acid. The time of treatment varied from 20 to 60 minutes depending upon seed size and age." Acacis Tortilis (http://www.frienvis.nic.in/Acaciatortilis.htm - broken link)

I would love to see a city full of these trees. Providing shade,food and even a home to all animals, including humans.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 7,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
You can buy the acai pea pods, but there seems to be a large amount of care to the child before it can become a very fruitful and hardy tree.. It seems UofA has done extensive research on the savanna plants and its great uses and i do not know if it was them or somewhere else claiming the tree wanting sulfric acid at a point. Oh it was on the website i was reading on.

"Several studies on seed treatment indicate that maximum germination in shortest time could be achieved by soaking the seeds in concentrated sulphuric acid. The time of treatment varied from 20 to 60 minutes depending upon seed size and age." Acacis Tortilis (http://www.frienvis.nic.in/Acaciatortilis.htm - broken link)

I would love to see a city full of these trees. Providing shade,food and even a home to all animals, including humans.
Aahhh... a TREE house!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM

I was more referring to homes for the birds and food for both birds and humans. oops

Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 PM

41,377 posts, read 52,691,139 times
Quote:
I have had a recently growing interest in the "acacis tortilis" or Umbrella Thorn Acacia. What drew my attention was the size the tree can get, 35' to 60' tall.

How many African tree's have come to AZ? Why aren't there more here in Arizona that come from the Savanna? I don't know how intrusive their root system are or how sturdy they are when it comes to extreme winds that we do have sometimes.
The primary reason would be that the AZ State Agriculture Dept would have to approve the import and growing of the trees. Like many species in the past, from other arid foreign areas similiar to AZ, the chances of these imports is high of these plants being invasive and eradicating or interferring with the normal growth pattern of plants native to AZ.
Right now there are a dozen or so plants native to foreign countries brought in from the past that are overtaking many species of AZ native plants and are growing out of control, so the government does not want to take any chances and now checks these out before approving them.
Some foreign plants they have discovered allowed into AZ from the past are hard to control or to eradicate.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 7,629,157 times
Quote:
I was more referring to homes for the birds and food for both birds and humans. oops
Oh.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 PM

33,565 posts, read 22,446,537 times
Quote:

lots of plants have seeds that stay dormant until they go through the digestive tract of a bird or animal - that's what the sulphuric acid treatment emulates.

Quote:
Lamprey (1967) found in the Tarangere Game Reserve in Tanzania that seedlings of Acacia tortilis could only be found growing from the faecal pellets of the impala. He obtained no germination of seed from fallen pods, but 7 percent from seed collected from faecal pellets. Goat enclosures at Maswa, Tanzania, also have seedlings germinating from the dung, and Lamprey believes that such indehiscent pods must pass through an animal for regeneration to take place.
seeds are available here <-- many more interesting acacia species there as well], but given the germination rate, i'd get a couple packages

also, as the first article notes, once these things germinate, the tap root heads straight down lickety-split, so be careful to plant it in a deep enough container to accomodate that; disturb that tap root very much and it may not survive.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 PM

ugga, this picture touches my heart. No idea why, but it does.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM

33,565 posts, read 22,446,537 times
heh, you can start your own acacia forest

they also have very nice blossoms, from the other pics on that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona