U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM

416 posts, read 1,766,273 times
Guess my kids and I moved to the wrong state Sorry our perception is so different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,478,871 times
singlemother...there is an excellent Spanish immersion program at Desert Willow Elementary in the Cave Creek School District. They are starting with preschool program now (it was kindergarten up until this year), and it moves all the way through elementary. I have several friends who have put their children in the program and the kids absolutely love it. The ones who have been in it since kindergarten and are now in 3rd or 4th grade are nearly fluent.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM

416 posts, read 1,766,273 times
Thank you Gigi

Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM

401 posts, read 1,667,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
My young children would love to learn Spanish; however, when we moved here we were amazed of the lack of programs in the Phoenix area for US citizens to learn Spanish in elementary school.

In Colorado, there's an advanced program for grade school children. All of my cousins are completely fluent because they were able to attend a bilingual school at an early age.

I'm just curious. Thank you.
Elementary school?!? I had a tough enough time taking 4 years of it in high school. I wouldnt recommend starting to teach Spanish to anyone below 8th grade or so

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,478,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Elementary school?!? I had a tough enough time taking 4 years of it in high school. I wouldnt recommend starting to teach Spanish to anyone below 8th grade or so
Actually, all of the studies I've read say that children's brains are most easily adaptable to learning multiple languages at a very early age (I can't remember exactly what age, but I believe it is between 2 and 4). The older we get, the more difficult time we have learning a second or third language. So while you may have had a hard time learning it high school, you probably would have had a much easier time learning it if you had been able to start as an elementary student.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM

3,223 posts, read 5,772,710 times
and we wonder why America is behind in education

Maybe if you nay sayers would do some research on Bilingual programs before you speak then you would see how beneficial they are. It it does not have to be only Spanish. Research ALICIA R CHACON INT in El Paso, Texas...the Students learn 3 languages.

It has nothing to do with being un-american. It has to do with providing the best education possible for our children and learning only one language in todays world is simplistic and narrow minded.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM

508 posts, read 1,119,085 times
It has nothing to do with hate. Blaming hate is a scapegoat for an apathetic mindset. Learning a primary language and becoming proficient with it is a better approach to learning multiple languages such as English and Spanish. When you understand how a language works it is easier to transfer similar rules, understand and apply rules that are unique to the new language, and pick up on various idiosynchracies.

for you ibarrio, I do the research. I am finishing my M.Ed. with an emphasis on cross cultural education.

A country cannot govern itself when it cannot communicate with its citizens. Almost all other countries which teach multiple languages, begin the instruction of the second language after students learn the primary language of the country. Once children can read, write, and speak properly in English, teach them foreign languages.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 32,375 times
BrittZ, while it is clear you are reading educational research, you should be careful not to misinterpret it. Most research on bilingual education assumes BI (two) -lingualism. When considering if children should be educated with the help of their home language, the goal is that they are able to learn English and in English IN ADDITION to the native language. While research shows that literacy skills are best built on solid linguistic skills, this is an argument for teaching children to read in their native language. Native English speakers should learn to read in English and then other languages when they are ready. Native Spanish speakers best learn to read and write in Spanish so they have the literacy skills with which to learn English.

Research also shows that it takes about seven years to learn a second language at the level where one can learn in that language. Immigrant children need time to transition from learning in their native language to learning in English. Immigrant adults might simply be respected for the enormous time and effort it takes to learn a second language.

Another point to consider is that there is a body of research that supports the notion that speakers of two languages have a cognitive advantage over those who speak only one.

In 2006, one in four children are born in the U.S. to mothers who speak a language other than English. These children need for us to understand the value and importance of bilingual education.

Good governance is dependent on a country's ability to meet the needs of its citizens, including educational needs. This country, including Arizona, needs to recognize that a significant segment of our population speaks a language other than English and wants to learn English. Bilingual education addresses such an issue rather than hiding from it. Multicultural/cross-cultural education embraces the same concepts, respecting what children bring to school and building on their prior knowledge rather than dismissing it as useless.

Cheers to the mom who wants her kids to learn Spanish! She is thinking of the future of this country when speakers of only one language will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM

16,900 posts, read 19,978,250 times
Default Stay on topic, please

The topic of this thread is the availability of bilingual immersion programs for youngsters in school. It can stray a little as is normal, but not into immigration, hate, love, etc. Thank you.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 PM

50 posts, read 169,184 times
In terms of advanced educational programs, move to Minnesota, Oregon, Washington. English is viewed as an endangered language here and there are flashing red lights a-glow all about Mother English. Foreign languages are unnecessary. (kidding - ) You may look into the International School in Scottsdale - French - but enrollment is so inferior, I would not be surprised if they don't close in 2 years - This is not the kind of state where you'd find dual anything unless it's in a motorcycle or gun. There is real resentment about anything other than English as regards languages...Best of luck - Spanish is all around - but "dual language" programs in AZ are now more or less illegal, Prop. 203, SEI compulsory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona