Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

hello out there,
i am thinking to find a location in or around central/southern arizona where the temperature ranges about 50 to 80 degrees year round. my wife and i have lived in brooklyn, new york most of our lives and are thinking change, at least in the winter months. we are active and would like people and people things around us. that doesn't mean next door nor does it mean miles away. isolation is not for us. we want to avoid excessive heat and excessive cold. we do not like winter sports, nor do we crave the desert environment. sunshine, low humidity and moderate temperatures for outdoor living would be a plus. hope someone can offer a suggestion. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,099 times
Prescott might be good for you, it gets a little colder than 50 but not much. It's about an hour or more out of Phoenix on the way to Flagstaff. I heard Tucson doesn't get as hot as Phoenix in the summer but I'm pretty sure it gets a little hotter than 80 in the summer. Other wise CA is your best bet for that weather.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,213,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon538 View Post
hello out there,
i am thinking to find a location in or around central/southern arizona where the temperature ranges about 50 to 80 degrees year round. my wife and i have lived in brooklyn, new york most of our lives and are thinking change, at least in the winter months. we are active and would like people and people things around us. that doesn't mean next door nor does it mean miles away. isolation is not for us. we want to avoid excessive heat and excessive cold. we do not like winter sports, nor do we crave the desert environment. sunshine, low humidity and moderate temperatures for outdoor living would be a plus. hope someone can offer a suggestion. thanks.
I assume you are referring to the daily high temps?

I don't know of anyplace in Arizona quite like that - Flagstaff might be the closest, with summer highs typically topping out around 80. Winter highs are a bit cooler though - with highs looking like they are in the 40's.

Maybe some place in Northern California (near the coast)?

Ken

Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,132,740 times
i think prescott would be the closest we have to offer - but that still may break your temps range - some good outdoor activities and not really a desert environment like you'd get in phx or tucson and not as snowy as flagstaff

will be hard to locate wherever you go though - only a few small pockets in the nation will give that

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM

551 posts, read 2,716,585 times
If that is your ideal low/high temps, you will probably need to move to the coastal area of southern California. Otherwise, in Arizona you are either going to constantly break the high or the low of those limits.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,213,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
If that is your ideal low/high temps, you will probably need to move to the coastal area of southern California. Otherwise, in Arizona you are either going to constantly break the high or the low of those limits.
Of course the REAL answer is to move to a mid-elevation-level of either Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii - maybe a place like the area upslope of Pukalani on Maui.

The Upcountry areas of those islands have the same year-round consistancy as the lower-level beachfront towns (with little variation between summer and winter), but since they are at a bit higher elevation, the temps are consequently a bit cooler. In addition, Upcountry areas can be lovely - and often have AMAZING views.

Pricey there though.

Ken

PS - Here, take a look at Kula on Maui:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...ation=USHI0052

Average highs range between 69-77 year-round.
Average lows between 53-58 year-round.

As I said, pricey though.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-14-2009 at 11:10 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,184,047 times
Are you talking winter only, or year round? Is your 50 to 80 range the low to high temp range you are looking for?

Prescott is the closest to it, if you are talking about winter. But even that will be a little cooler on the low end and high end.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 AM

150 posts, read 455,580 times
Hawaii!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,994,861 times
if you want consistently moderate temps, year-round, day and night, Arizona is not the place.....

as others here are saying, you need to be very near an ocean where the sea temps moderate the air temps.....it's the only way you'll get the consistently moderate temps you want.....

but it won't be low-humidity, of course, as you said you wanted....

coastal Cali will be your best bet - within a mile or two of the ocean.....

wondering if Portland, OR, would work, too....does get colder in the winter, though, and rainy..........

Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM

38,949 posts, read 50,859,936 times
Prescott is in the 90s in the summer (highs) and the 20s (lows) in the winter. Way out of your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona