Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM

11 posts, read 98,205 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to Arizona from Oregon, mainly to be closer to my Mom. I have been looking for a job as an administrative assistant. I have over 15 yrs of experience in this field. I have found many listed on jobing.com, careerbuilders.com, monster.com and even craigslist.com. I have had 2 interviews and have sent out what seems like a hundred resumes. I have tried to look at jobs on line for the Arizona Republic, but that only takes me to careerbuilders.com. Does this newspaper print ads from prespective employers? I guess what I want to know is how does one find a job with a REAL employer?? Some of the jobs I apply for e-mail me back with a website to go so I can PAY them to find me a job. Not happening. I also have no idea if sending my resume through all these dot coms are really getting to the employer or just hanging out in cyber space. I'm getting very little response from some of the company's. Is it just there are too many other people searching for jobs? I am in Yuma, but want to relocate to the Phoenix Metro area. Do I need to be in Phoenix to find a job? HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GramieJ View Post
I recently relocated to Arizona from Oregon, mainly to be closer to my Mom. I have been looking for a job as an administrative assistant. I have over 15 yrs of experience in this field. I have found many listed on jobing.com, careerbuilders.com, monster.com and even craigslist.com. I have had 2 interviews and have sent out what seems like a hundred resumes. I have tried to look at jobs on line for the Arizona Republic, but that only takes me to careerbuilders.com. Does this newspaper print ads from prespective employers? I guess what I want to know is how does one find a job with a REAL employer?? Some of the jobs I apply for e-mail me back with a website to go so I can PAY them to find me a job. Not happening. I also have no idea if sending my resume through all these dot coms are really getting to the employer or just hanging out in cyber space. I'm getting very little response from some of the company's. Is it just there are too many other people searching for jobs? I am in Yuma, but want to relocate to the Phoenix Metro area. Do I need to be in Phoenix to find a job? HELP!!!

The Arizona Republic is next to bankrupt, and their want adds are outsourced to careerBuilder or Monster. I'm having a difficult time finding a job too. I was in college for 6 years and have 2 degrees and not getting anywhere, even for jobs I'm totally qualified for. Most jobs in AZ are low-paying service oriented jobs and not much of anything 'good' that offers a future and a good paycheck. I'm not wanting to, but I am considering looking near the Chicago area, closer to family, to find something. It honestly hasn't worked out for me at all here, to say the least. Its been hugely disappointing.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i've had the best luck just going through the companies webpages ...... lookup employers and start looking at their webposting and submitting resumes - this will work for a lot of the larger employees (with an AA the field is a bit important, but experience would be more so IMO)

i would also try live networking, look into various functions that are going on and show up - print up some business cards and try to make some inroads

i know some of those large job spots do trickle through (i used to interview with my formal employer and would see some that cleared HR from those sites), however it can be super frustrating on them when you are hunting

Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM

551 posts, read 2,726,008 times
I think the physical AZ Republic newspaper has more real listings, as opposed to the online/Careerbuilder type of listings (they are not the same). Just be careful of an employer who asks you for your social security number or other financial information before you have met in person with them. One of the latest scams that Careerbuilder doesn't protect you from is people who post false employment ads, trying to get you to move your 401k or retirement funds into their managed/commission based account.

Also, don't forget we are still in a recession, so it is expected to be a little difficult right now to find a job -- especially when many companies are letting their employees go.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 98,205 times
Yes, tell me about all the scammers out there. I just got 4 "responses" from careerbuilders just this morning about "working from home" and being able to make $4,000 a week. I'm really not happy with careerbuilders, but I feel that one out of 20 may be a real job and I don't want to miss the opportunity! I wish they would screen their posting a little better, but I guess they are all out to make a buck!

So do you think it would be a good idea to subscribe to the Arizona Republic and have it delivered via mail (I'm in Yuma) since there are no places here to even buy it? Or could someone who already ready get the Arizona Republic look and let me know if there are real ad from real employers in their Sunday paper??

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I second Finger Laker's advice. Go directly through companies. Avoid the middle man (recruiters, consulting companies, contractors,temp agences). Go to their web pages and e-mail the HR person directly. Tell them you are not being represented by a recruiter and that you submitted your resume to them directly. It makes a difference if a company knows they can hire you without paying a hefty commission fee. Don't casually submit your resume on Monster, Dice etc unless you know the person is a part of the company itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona