U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That doesn't mean you can accurately speak for 6.5 million people. I know many in AZ and you certainly don't speak for them.

I can speak for a whole big bunch of them! I'm a Native Arizonian - there are not many of us!

And we don't need Lane and his ilk coming here trying to tell us how to do things - read his posts - he says "he" is right and that Arizonians are wrong.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,887,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
I would love to debate you on the radio <grin>
I would chew you up and spit you out boy

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM

11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I can speak for a whole big bunch of them! I'm a Native Arizonian - there are not many of us!

And we don't need Lane and his ilk coming here trying to tell us how to do things - read his posts - he says "he" is right and that Arizonians are wrong.
As you said, there are not many of you. I guess you have to deal with the changing politics of your state. Sucks for you, but that's life.

See, the thing is, you people actually care what outsiders have to say. I never understood why people in FL, NC, AZ etc. constantly complain about suggestions/complaints made by outsiders. Just dismiss it. In CT, nobody cares what you think. If they can't deal with what CT is like, well, CT folks don't give a rat's behind. I think others need to have that mentality instead of taking such offense to the beliefs of their new neighbors. Hmm...maybe that's why everyone says CT folk are so aloof.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 AM

857 posts, read 645,226 times
Default Flagstaff Economic Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As you said, there are not many of you. I guess you have to deal with the changing politics of your state. Sucks for you, but that's life.

See, the thing is, you people actually care what outsiders have to say. I never understood why people in FL, NC, AZ etc. constantly complain about suggestions/complaints made by outsiders. Just dismiss it. In CT, nobody cares what you think. If they can't deal with what CT is like, well, CT folks don't give a rat's behind. I think others need to have that mentality instead of taking such offense to the beliefs of their new neighbors. Hmm...maybe that's why everyone says CT folk are so aloof.

Good point because in New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, and Washington people don't care what you think either ! In the Southwest, it's just Arizona, although I haven't been to Utah so I don't know abut UT. I would guess Utah would be open minded, since the population is highly educated, although they are conservative, I would guess they at least know how to conduct a fair and balanced debate.

As you say the politics of Arizona are indeed changing, especially in places such as Flagstaff. The Conservatives on the City Council in making their decisions are not paying attention to the people of Flagstaff voting against the big box ordinance, and against the gay marriage ban. The Conservatives on the City Council wish to turn Flagstaff into a place for rich second homeowners, W.L. Gore associates, and students, with no blue collar workers in high tech industries such as alternative energy. They need to cancel all impact fees for new high tech businesses to come in, and watch their unemployment rate drop to 5%, comparable to similar small to medium sized markets in Western Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah such as Provo and Durango.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM

7,240 posts, read 2,790,661 times
Someone told me there was a thriving, underground, hidden gay community in Gila Bend but i don't know if that's just a rumor. South end of Winslow comes to mind, also. Maybe Flagstaff with NAU and the college town thing. Lots of partying. They may not be gay, especially but they sure are happy.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-26-2009 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 PM

832 posts, read 1,119,062 times
I understand that most of the gay community in Gila Bend clusters around the Ice House, the A&W Rootbeer Stand, and Stovall's Space-Age Lodge.

Other Arizona cities with thriving gay communities include:
  • Crown King: Don't miss the "First Wednesday" Art Walk on Forest 259 Road, from Mile Marker 123 to Mile Marker 124.
  • Oatman: The "Oatman Record and 8-Track Booth" at the Oatman Swap Meet has an actual Indigo Girls cassette tape for sale.
  • Quartzsite: The entire community has transgendered, not once but twice, in 1977 and back again in 1996.
  • Colorado City: Don't you think having four wives is a little...overcompensating, somehow?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 PM

314 posts, read 557,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I understand that most of the gay community in Gila Bend clusters around the Ice House, the A&W Rootbeer Stand, and Stovall's Space-Age Lodge.

Other Arizona cities with thriving gay communities include:
  • Crown King: Don't miss the "First Wednesday" Art Walk on Forest 259 Road, from Mile Marker 123 to Mile Marker 124.
  • Oatman: The "Oatman Record and 8-Track Booth" at the Oatman Swap Meet has an actual Indigo Girls cassette tape for sale.
  • Quartzsite: The entire community has transgendered, not once but twice, in 1977 and back again in 1996.
  • Colorado City: Don't you think having four wives is a little...overcompensating, somehow?

ROFLMAO!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 PM

3,995 posts, read 6,135,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Mr. Greatday on his shooting range in Florence Junction, AZ is doing this because a liberal (me) in the Communications field from the much-maligned West Coast moved to Flagstaff, and found City-Data.com, that's all!

Mr. Greatday and Mr. Fcorrales follow me around to every forum I post on, because they feel threatened. They are the conservative Arizona status quo, representing local independent business interests who don't want competition from national chains. Of course, anyone from the West Coast knows that large big box stores and small businesses can co-exist.

As for Flagstaff, it's in Coconino County, one of 5 counties to vote for Obama in the 2008 national election. The county also voted AGAINST the gay-marriage ban. Voters in the City of Flagstaff voted AGAINST the old City Council's Anti-Big Box ordiance.

If I ran for the City Council, these posters know that I would win, and bring in Costco, Trader Joes, REI, and many environmental high tech companies. I'd also cancel Impact Fees to decrease the current unacceptable 8% unemployment (ref: Bureau of Labor Statistics)

If you look at my profile, you'll see that my ratings went up to 20,000 hits a couple of weeks ago, thats 20 times higher than normal. Perhaps because someone in Arizona government doesn't like my posts, and forwarded it to all the state offices.

All of this is just part of the territory when an outsider from California, Oregon, Washington, or Manhattan moves to Northern AZ and expresses their opinions. I love the controversy, although it would be nice if Mr. Greatday and Mr. Fcorrales actually replied to my points in specifics rather than broad generalities.

All the best for Flagstaff the progressives will have to elect a new City Council that is pro-gay, pro-big box stores, pro-health care, and pro-affordable housing next spring. I wish them the very best. If I ever moved back for whatever reason, there is no way that I would become politically involved due to individuals such as Mr. Greatday and Mr. Fcorrales.
LOL, I just had to laugh at the "following" you around to every thread YOU post on! LOL, actually since the OP was asking a question for those who KNOW about AZ and Phoenix' gay community I POSTED HERE FIRST, being gay and liberal. Another reason to laugh at your post. I am a social liberal, LOL! I also work for a German/American International Firm here in Phoenix. I have NO ties to local business, etc etc. What a weak argument to try and regain "credit" that you never had.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 AM

57 posts, read 138,253 times
Look into Lake Havasu. It has a rep as a "party town" and because of such, we have found alternative lifestyles are generally more accepted

No clubs here though,,,,, just bars

Old 09-17-2009, 05:50 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,313,509 times
No clubs in Lake Havasu? I thought for sure there would be at least one club, or are you saying gay-only clubs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona