Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I own my own home and rented out a room to someone I knew. After having lived there for a few years, one day a bunch of men stormed into the house, put him in a straightjacket and took him out of the house. It has been 11 months now and I don't know if he is even still alive. Unfortunately, all of his things are still in the room he was using, including several original musical compositions worth several thousands of dollars. I spoke with a friend of mine who is an agent as to what I should do about this, and he told me that the landlord tenent acts say that I have to store his things for a certain amount of time. After that time, (shorter than 11 months) I can sell his things at a "public auction" (whatever that means) and that the proceeds beyond storage, overpaid rent, and other costs go back to him. But he said that was for normal cases of evicted tenants and I dont think this really qualifies. And how would I even get the proceeds back to him, especially post-mortem? What exactly are my responsibilites as far as his things are concerned? I shouldn't have to hold them indefinately, but I don't even know if he is alive anymore.

I don't really want to hold a "public auction" because I'm a schoolteacher professionally, not a landlord and I don't really have the time. CanI just donate his things to a charity? Can I write off anything donated as a tax deduction? Is there any point at which he forfeits the right to that property? How well does all of this have to be documented?

I really appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you,
Maxwell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona