Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM

61 posts, read 505,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I used to sell land in Dolan Springs from 1959 to 1965, it was then known as Lake Mohave Ranchos. We were first based in Azusa CA then on Wilshire Blvd. in LA. The price was $595 for 5 acres, $10 down and $10 a month at first; then 2 1/2 acres for $395, then one acre for $395. There was a spring there at the ranch and it was named Dolan Springs and fed into a circular reservoir for cattle. It was just cheap land with wooden stakes and a dirt road. Beats me how it has grown. Keep in mind it was in the county with no building codes. The bypass bridge has rocketed land values all over the county. There was a guy named Tom White that lived in the old ranch house and he sort of looked out for the place and helped people find their land. All the buyers were from California but eventually the Pat Brown government banned all out of California subdivisions and that was the end of the sales. Only Lake Havasu City remained for sale in California but they eventually moved out to Arizona because of the incredible restrictions California put on out of state land sales.
u r right on, the land keeps getting more expensive...still a backwards place, though. It used to be quaint and charming to me...now it's just a lot of sprawling double wides. Tom White's son, Kevin, is a hard worker and gets a lot done around here. Also, we certainly don't need them Californians coming over here with their California ideas and their California prices!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The cost of living in Dolan Springs is dirt-cheap. That's pretty much the main attraction to the place. Funny how someone can get indignant about lack of services when they essentially pay nothing to live there.
That's one of the falacies about Dolan, everyone thinks it's dirt cheap to live here...that's not true. I'll bet you would be lost if your electric was shut off during a rain storm, wind, or it just takes a notion not to work...that's how it is around here so shut up.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dian-az View Post
That's one of the falacies about Dolan, everyone thinks it's dirt cheap to live here...that's not true. I'll bet you would be lost if your electric was shut off during a rain storm, wind, or it just takes a notion not to work...that's how it is around here so shut up.
Don't forget about your pipes freezing in the winter.

So Dolan isn't cheap? Ha, try pricing a lot in Kingman. But honestly, Dolan does look like a dump from the road, and it's in the middle of nowhere. If it's not cheap, why the heck would anybody live there? And more importantly, why did you move there?

Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM

227 posts, read 535,392 times
Quote:
There ain't any good nothin' in Dolan Springs...
Love your proxy, so what other username are you messing with there Diaz?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Are there any good anger management therapists in Dolan Springs?

I guess not...

Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Well, dear readers, I moved here to take care of my aging parents.
And...just because someone spouts off, doesn't mean they're angry...can't I just spout off? I really do hate this place, tho. Probably where you live everything's peachy, I'm sure. Happy Independence Day to all. Keep up the spirit..........peace.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
There ain't any good nothin' in Dolan Springs...
So why are you there? Just curious.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
u r right on, the land keeps getting more expensive...still a backwards place, though. It used to be quaint and charming to me...now it's just a lot of sprawling double wides. Tom White's son, Kevin, is a hard worker and gets a lot done around here. Also, we certainly don't need them Californians coming over here with their California ideas and their California prices!
The first person to move out there about 1960 was some guy with his flat bed truck. There were still cattle on the land and they would knock the wooden stakes out and people couldn't find their land. Eventually a few people settled around the ranch house, one even started up a small restaurant, ham and lima beans was their specialty. Water was delivered to elevated tanks for 1½¢ a gallon. My favorite place to eat though was at Santa Claus down the highway when it was run by the original owners.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The first person to move out there about 1960 was some guy with his flat bed truck. There were still cattle on the land and they would knock the wooden stakes out and people couldn't find their land. Eventually a few people settled around the ranch house, one even started up a small restaurant, ham and lima beans was their specialty. Water was delivered to elevated tanks for 1½¢ a gallon. My favorite place to eat though was at Santa Claus down the highway when it was run by the original owners.
This is still open range country, a lot of times the cattle wander onto Pierce Ferry Rd and get hit. The original Ranch Club was burned down on Dolan Days in about 2001. There's a smaller Mexican Restaurant on the grounds of the Club area nowadays. Water haulers like me now pay $4.50 for a 500 gallon load. Santa Claus is now run down, graffiti all over it. Thank you, I appreciate the history...I know the town had some character back then, I talk to a few of the old timers that are still around.

Last edited by dian-az; 07-05-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
So why are you there? Just curious.
To take care of my parents, I came back from the east...I'm from Calif., originally, wanted to come back west. (The Army sent me all over). Plus, I must be an idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona