Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 AM

61 posts, read 505,135 times

Advertisements

I couldn't make this up if I tried:
You won't get hired in this town unless you're family...or, a "very important person". That Hoover Dam By-Pass Project should certainly by-pass this town, serve it right! (and probably will). Dolan Springs is nothing but retirees, bums, thieves, druggies, escapees from who-knows-what, and other ne'er do wells. Everyone around here tries to chump you. ... I think the behavior of this town is due to the drinking water, and the huge antenna tower blasting out 150 million megawatts of microwave power, and whatever's blowing around from the ground. This place is windy, dry and un-forgiving. The town has no character whatsoever--not a shade tree to sit under, not a public fountain, nothing...WHY, why, why do they call it Dolan SPRINGS??? The buildings in town look like they've were thrown together with absolutely no planning or fore-thought...surprise! The library is open late on Thursday nights, other times it's a few hours here and there. If they were open more often, perhaps the punks in this town would have somewhere to go, and if they weren't careful, they just might learn something, rather than follow in their mommies or daddies footsteps. The school system here is a joke, the lowest SAT scores in the state. Teen-age girls are walking the streets with a couple of babies already, their "ol' men" are in jail, or with someone else...an old saying here goes, "You don't loose your girl, you just loose your turn!" The "park" is another joke, full of goatheads, maybe 2 trees, a "baseball diamond" that I've never seen used, (it's all weeds, who wants to slide into home on that!) and a bunch of un-watered Oleanders. No grass to walk on, everything around here is sterile dirt with lotsa, lotsa mean-ass weeds. Good luck in getting anything else to grow, even the Joshua trees that have been here for thousands of years are starting to keel over. No fireworks, either, they quit that around 10 years ago, because (the fire dept sez) no one donated to the fireworks fund.... The only annual events are things like "Dolan Days" or "Loyalty Days", and that's just here to plump up the buisness owners coffers...this town isn't interested in really having fun, just for the sake of it. They are actually anti-customer here. They don't care about the average, honest dude. The only market in town, the Double D, (double de prices) is dingy and over-priced, and talk about fresh: yeah, if you like your meat green and your lettuce brown! The service you're over-paying for is slow... and... tedious... and... ignorant. You can't even buy any type of magazine in this town. Thank God they finally put in a new Family Dollar store, and for the first time ever you can find a place to buy make-up and other things like in a "real" store. And believe me, a lot of these women here need a good make-over, what with their missing teeth and tatoos all over their bodies, more than a man would ever sport! The two places that have regular customers are the VFW and American Legion. What does that tell ya? And these two so-called patriotic joints are constantly bickering with each other. The only gas station closes at 7pm, 6 pm on Sunday. The prices they gouge are "tourist prices" but the locals, who don't have much, (and can't say much 'cuz they got us over a barrel), also have to pay these same ridiculous prices. Pretty much they roll up the sidewalk at 8pm or so. The sheriff's run up and down the only paved road through town like a bunch of wild street cops, and the county of Mohave isn't satisified until they squeeze your last dollar, impound your vehicle and in general inconvience you as much as possible. The county seat is in Kingman, about 40 miles from here. You have to go there for everything: driver's license, welfare, court, fast foods, a decent beautician, you name it. This is a poor town, a lot of people here aren't able to drive to Kingman all the time. Most of the homes here are ramshackle and unkempt. I could go on, but if you want to move here for the scenery, great---until someone in the next lot over builds a 3 story home and blocks all your wonderful view! Or, if you want to move here for the clean water, go ahead---the prices keep rising and the grossly mis-managed water company doesn't seem to want to run more water lines OR show ya any latest water test results. Or...if ya wanna move here for the clean air, good for you!...the wind blows constantly, dust, pollen and trash blowing everywhere, all the time. Hooooowdy, stranger!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 AM

227 posts, read 535,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dian-az View Post
I couldn't make this up if I tried:

You won't get hired in this town unless you're family...or, a "very important person". That Hoover Dam By-Pass Project should certainly by-pass this town, serve it right! (and probably will). Dolan Springs is nothing but retirees, bums, thieves, druggies, escapees from who-knows-what, and other ne'er do wells. Everyone around here tries to chump you. ... I think the behavior of this town is due to the drinking water, and the huge antenna tower blasting out 150 million megawatts of microwave power, and whatever's blowing around from the ground. This place is windy, dry and un-forgiving. The town has no character whatsoever--not a shade tree to sit under, not a public fountain, nothing...WHY, why, why do they call it Dolan SPRINGS??? The buildings in town look like they've were thrown together with absolutely no planning or fore-thought...surprise! The library is open late on Thursday nights, other times it's a few hours here and there. If they were open more often, perhaps the punks in this town would have somewhere to go, and if they weren't careful, they just might learn something, rather than follow in their mommies or daddies footsteps. The school system here is a joke, the lowest SAT scores in the state. Teen-age girls are walking the streets with a couple of babies already, their "ol' men" are in jail, or with someone else...an old saying here goes, "You don't loose your girl, you just loose your turn!" The "park" is another joke, full of goatheads, maybe 2 trees, a "baseball diamond" that I've never seen used, (it's all weeds, who wants to slide into home on that!) and a bunch of un-watered Oleanders. No grass to walk on, everything around here is sterile dirt with lotsa, lotsa mean-ass weeds. Good luck in getting anything else to grow, even the Joshua trees that have been here for thousands of years are starting to keel over. No fireworks, either, they quit that around 10 years ago, because (the fire dept sez) no one donated to the fireworks fund.... The only annual events are things like "Dolan Days" or "Loyalty Days", and that's just here to plump up the buisness owners coffers...this town isn't interested in really having fun, just for the sake of it. They are actually anti-customer here. They don't care about the average, honest dude. The only market in town, the Double D, (double de prices) is dingy and over-priced, and talk about fresh: yeah, if you like your meat green and your lettuce brown! The service you're over-paying for is slow... and... tedious... and... ignorant. You can't even buy any type of magazine in this town. Thank God they finally put in a new Family Dollar store, and for the first time ever you can find a place to buy make-up and other things like in a "real" store. And believe me, a lot of these women here need a good make-over, what with their missing teeth and tatoos all over their bodies, more than a man would ever sport! The two places that have regular customers are the VFW and American Legion. What does that tell ya? And these two so-called patriotic joints are constantly bickering with each other. The only gas station closes at 7pm, 6 pm on Sunday. The prices they gouge are "tourist prices" but the locals, who don't have much, (and can't say much 'cuz they got us over a barrel), also have to pay these same ridiculous prices. Pretty much they roll up the sidewalk at 8pm or so. The sheriff's run up and down the only paved road through town like a bunch of wild street cops, and the county of Mohave isn't satisified until they squeeze your last dollar, impound your vehicle and in general inconvience you as much as possible. The county seat is in Kingman, about 40 miles from here. You have to go there for everything: driver's license, welfare, court, fast foods, a decent beautician, you name it. This is a poor town, a lot of people here aren't able to drive to Kingman all the time. Most of the homes here are ramshackle and unkempt. I could go on, but if you want to move here for the scenery, great---until someone in the next lot over builds a 3 story home and blocks all your wonderful view! Or, if you want to move here for the clean water, go ahead---the prices keep rising and the grossly mis-managed water company doesn't seem to want to run more water lines OR show ya any latest water test results. Or...if ya wanna move here for the clean air, good for you!...the wind blows constantly, dust, pollen and trash blowing everywhere, all the time. Hooooowdy, stranger!
Perhaps you should have just purchased an X-Files Aluminum Tin Foil Hat and all the negative vibes would have bounced off and you would'nt have noticed the negatives. Many western small towns in out of the way places have a certain element who dump the cities for the quiet. They're like an old dog that only wants to be left alone. I'm sure they are all sitting around at the local Cantina having a beer and discussing how great it'll be once you leave there Diaz.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
Perhaps you should have just purchased an X-Files Aluminum Tin Foil Hat and all the negative vibes would have bounced off and you would'nt have noticed the negatives. Many western small towns in out of the way places have a certain element who dump the cities for the quiet. They're like an old dog that only wants to be left alone. I'm sure they are all sitting around at the local Cantina having a beer and discussing how great it'll be once you leave there Diaz.
Not just western towns............what the OP described sounds a lot like rural W Va, etc. as well.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
I used to sell land in Dolan Springs from 1959 to 1965, it was then known as Lake Mohave Ranchos. We were first based in Azusa CA then on Wilshire Blvd. in LA. The price was $595 for 5 acres, $10 down and $10 a month at first; then 2 1/2 acres for $395, then one acre for $395. There was a spring there at the ranch and it was named Dolan Springs and fed into a circular reservoir for cattle. It was just cheap land with wooden stakes and a dirt road. Beats me how it has grown. Keep in mind it was in the county with no building codes. The bypass bridge has rocketed land values all over the county. There was a guy named Tom White that lived in the old ranch house and he sort of looked out for the place and helped people find their land. All the buyers were from California but eventually the Pat Brown government banned all out of California subdivisions and that was the end of the sales. Only Lake Havasu City remained for sale in California but they eventually moved out to Arizona because of the incredible restrictions California put on out of state land sales.

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-01-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Are there any good anger management therapists in Dolan Springs?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
The cost of living in Dolan Springs is dirt-cheap. That's pretty much the main attraction to the place. Funny how someone can get indignant about lack of services when they essentially pay nothing to live there.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,631 times
So I take it, you don't much care for the Dolan Springs area eh?
This may be the first time I have heard someone equate "Family Dollar" as a "real" store. Love the "water resistant" paper towels they sell there. Great for, well nothing at all really.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not just western towns............what the OP described sounds a lot like rural W Va, etc. as well.
I don't just notice the negative... It's called vigilance...anyway, there are no positives here. I'm glad they're all sitting around drinking up...you should join them!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
So I take it, you don't much care for the Dolan Springs area eh?
This may be the first time I have heard someone equate "Family Dollar" as a "real" store. Love the "water resistant" paper towels they sell there. Great for, well nothing at all really.
Welcome to my world!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Are there any good anger management therapists in Dolan Springs?
There ain't any good nothin' in Dolan Springs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona