Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 26 days ago)

13,148 posts, read 21,679,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azequine View Post
My oldest son bought his first "home" there on 2 acres and after 2 years he was at the verge of clinical depression
Given that there are plenty of people living in Dolan who enjoy it and aren't clinically depressed, it's unlikely that Dolan was the sole source of your son's problems.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 18,525 times
Default No Dolans springs for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dian-az View Post
I couldn't make this up if I tried:
You won't get hired in this town unless you're family...or, a "very important person". That Hoover Dam By-Pass Project should certainly by-pass this town, serve it right! (and probably will). Dolan Springs is nothing but retirees, bums, thieves, druggies, escapees from who-knows-what, and other ne'er do wells. Everyone around here tries to chump you. ... I think the behavior of this town is due to the drinking water, and the huge antenna tower blasting out 150 million megawatts of microwave power, and whatever's blowing around from the ground. This place is windy, dry and un-forgiving. The town has no character whatsoever--not a shade tree to sit under, not a public fountain, nothing...WHY, why, why do they call it Dolan SPRINGS??? The buildings in town look like they've were thrown together with absolutely no planning or fore-thought...surprise! The library is open late on Thursday nights, other times it's a few hours here and there. If they were open more often, perhaps the punks in this town would have somewhere to go, and if they weren't careful, they just might learn something, rather than follow in their mommies or daddies footsteps. The school system here is a joke, the lowest SAT scores in the state. Teen-age girls are walking the streets with a couple of babies already, their "ol' men" are in jail, or with someone else...an old saying here goes, "You don't loose your girl, you just loose your turn!" The "park" is another joke, full of goatheads, maybe 2 trees, a "baseball diamond" that I've never seen used, (it's all weeds, who wants to slide into home on that!) and a bunch of un-watered Oleanders. No grass to walk on, everything around here is sterile dirt with lotsa, lotsa mean-ass weeds. Good luck in getting anything else to grow, even the Joshua trees that have been here for thousands of years are starting to keel over. No fireworks, either, they quit that around 10 years ago, because (the fire dept sez) no one donated to the fireworks fund.... The only annual events are things like "Dolan Days" or "Loyalty Days", and that's just here to plump up the buisness owners coffers...this town isn't interested in really having fun, just for the sake of it. They are actually anti-customer here. They don't care about the average, honest dude. The only market in town, the Double D, (double de prices) is dingy and over-priced, and talk about fresh: yeah, if you like your meat green and your lettuce brown! The service you're over-paying for is slow... and... tedious... and... ignorant. You can't even buy any type of magazine in this town. Thank God they finally put in a new Family Dollar store, and for the first time ever you can find a place to buy make-up and other things like in a "real" store. And believe me, a lot of these women here need a good make-over, what with their missing teeth and tatoos all over their bodies, more than a man would ever sport! The two places that have regular customers are the VFW and American Legion. What does that tell ya? And these two so-called patriotic joints are constantly bickering with each other. The only gas station closes at 7pm, 6 pm on Sunday. The prices they gouge are "tourist prices" but the locals, who don't have much, (and can't say much 'cuz they got us over a barrel), also have to pay these same ridiculous prices. Pretty much they roll up the sidewalk at 8pm or so. The sheriff's run up and down the only paved road through town like a bunch of wild street cops, and the county of Mohave isn't satisified until they squeeze your last dollar, impound your vehicle and in general inconvience you as much as possible. The county seat is in Kingman, about 40 miles from here. You have to go there for everything: driver's license, welfare, court, fast foods, a decent beautician, you name it. This is a poor town, a lot of people here aren't able to drive to Kingman all the time. Most of the homes here are ramshackle and unkempt. I could go on, but if you want to move here for the scenery, great---until someone in the next lot over builds a 3 story home and blocks all your wonderful view! Or, if you want to move here for the clean water, go ahead---the prices keep rising and the grossly mis-managed water company doesn't seem to want to run more water lines OR show ya any latest water test results. Or...if ya wanna move here for the clean air, good for you!...the wind blows constantly, dust, pollen and trash blowing everywhere, all the time. Hooooowdy, stranger!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 18,525 times
What right do you have to judge my town?? you are obviously a city girl, and judgmental, most of them people are find people, most of them people are AMERICAN INDIANS you know the real Americans, I feel sorry for you, and God will judge you in the end so go back to were ever you came from we don't need any body like you here !!!!! I can't wait to get home one of my neighbors needs a hand and if I am at home I gladly give it, you need to try this some time

Old 03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 26 days ago)

13,148 posts, read 21,679,409 times
We call them the haters. You know, people who blame the town in which they live as the source of their unhappiness and failures in life.

It's just baffling how somebody can move to a tiny remote hardscrabble desert town, and then when they get there, complain that it's a tiny remote hardscrabble desert town.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,224 times
Just moved here and love it. Windy, sometimes, and sometimes calm and sunny. I've been treated great by everyone I've met. Retired. Yes, but don't knock it. From what I understand, that is everyones goal in life. Always been my goal. I love the wind blowing through the Joshua tree by my patio. Every place I've ever been has good points and bad points. I spent enough time in the big city that has everything, including crime, boom box cars driving through the neighborhood at 3AM, police sirens going all hours of the day and night. Thank you, but I like the peace and quiet of Dolan Springs.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nettles View Post
What right do you have to judge my town?? you are obviously a city girl, and judgmental, most of them people are find people, most of them people are AMERICAN INDIANS you know the real Americans, I feel sorry for you, and God will judge you in the end so go back to were ever you came from we don't need any body like you here !!!!! I can't wait to get home one of my neighbors needs a hand and if I am at home I gladly give it, you need to try this some time
The original poster made that post in the beginning, but she grew to like the town later on towards the middle to end of the thread. Read through it and you will see.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,141 times
I drove through Dolan Springs on my Motorcycle trip to the Grand Canyon. We stopped for a quick drink at the Dollar, and several folks talked with us. Everyone seemed very friendly. I cant say the same about the tour bus drivers on Diamond Bar Rd. We were almost killed several times. I think that I'd like to retire there!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 12,296 times
I joined this site because of the posts I saw about Dolan Springs. I live in White Hills which is 10 miles east off Hwy 93 at the 28.5 milepost. Dolan is up about the same distance from the 40 milepost and we're only around 5 miles from the outskirts of Dolan as the Crow flies. I go to Church in Dolan. We sometimes shop at the Double-D market especially when there are good coupons in their flyers we get in the mail since they joined up with Western Family markets. We were excited when the Family Dollar went in because they have their own brand of some things that are pretty good deals. I have lived out here since 1986 - with trips to various other areas of the country to work for the Indian Health Service. I call this area "The middle of Nowhere but the Center of Everything". This is because my husband and I have taken numerous day trips to so many wonderful places from here and because we have relatively easy access by commute to both Las Vegas, NV and Kingman, AZ. People are poorer in Mohave County so groceries, on average, are cheaper in Kingman than in Vegas. I love the 99centOnly stores in Vegas because they have a refrigerated and produce section with actual farmers market type stuff (like heirloom tomatoes) for 99cents. 99cents for a head of lettuce, broccoflower, strawberries, 3 yellow bell-peppers etc... Living rurally just takes adjusting your routine so you can enjoy what's positive about the area and not suffer too much with the negative. If you're a big city person you would most definately wither and suffer in Dolan or White Hills or any other small town. Dolan is lucky to even have a grocery and gas available. It was just a year and a half ago that we got the Texaco, and MileMarker 27 to have gas in the area and they are still 10+ miles from me. We take gas cans into town and fill them at the cheaper prices and use that gas when we tool around the local areas and won't be going back into a place with the cheaper prices. We shop in bulk every month with a list and go into Kingman and Vegas to do it. We know how to pack groceries to keep frozen stuff, including popsickles, from melting before we get back home. We deal with the hussle and bussle of Vegas a minimum of once a week and are happy to get back home to the quiet and scenery of White Hills. Dolan and us are in the northwest corner of a Joshua tree forest. Joshuas are unique to a specific elevation and are gorgeous when they bloom every three years. We put a coi pond in our back yard and attracted yellow winged blackbirds, which are marsh birds, to our yard. I love this area and my husband, who is Navajo from Fort Defiance, AZ on the eastern part of AZ does too. Yes, there are too many dusty, windy days but the sunsets we get from that and the surrounding mountains make for spectacular sunsets. A man from back east cried when he stopped at the Texaco at night and actually SAW the beautiful night sky. We got a Prius which has been the best car we ever had and it hauls a lot and answered the issue with unaffordable commutes into town. I am in the process of getting the $ together to start a non-profit Community Assistance group here that I want to get grants to purchase land and provide services like food bank, cemetary, transportation services, and a lot more here. I know it will take some time, but we'll get there. If you improve the community you're in it ripples out in circles and spreads like wildfire. If you're disgusted with the things you see and the poverty you experience in your area YOU CAN DO SOMETHING. It's far better than doing nothing and grumbling about it all.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,583,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White.Hills.Teri View Post
I joined this site because of the posts I saw about Dolan Springs. I live in White Hills which is 10 miles east off Hwy 93 at the 28.5 milepost. Dolan is up about the same distance from the 40 milepost and we're only around 5 miles from the outskirts of Dolan as the Crow flies. I go to Church in Dolan. We sometimes shop at the Double-D market especially when there are good coupons in their flyers we get in the mail since they joined up with Western Family markets. We were excited when the Family Dollar went in because they have their own brand of some things that are pretty good deals. I have lived out here since 1986 - with trips to various other areas of the country to work for the Indian Health Service. I call this area "The middle of Nowhere but the Center of Everything". This is because my husband and I have taken numerous day trips to so many wonderful places from here and because we have relatively easy access by commute to both Las Vegas, NV and Kingman, AZ. People are poorer in Mohave County so groceries, on average, are cheaper in Kingman than in Vegas. I love the 99centOnly stores in Vegas because they have a refrigerated and produce section with actual farmers market type stuff (like heirloom tomatoes) for 99cents. 99cents for a head of lettuce, broccoflower, strawberries, 3 yellow bell-peppers etc... Living rurally just takes adjusting your routine so you can enjoy what's positive about the area and not suffer too much with the negative. If you're a big city person you would most definately wither and suffer in Dolan or White Hills or any other small town. Dolan is lucky to even have a grocery and gas available. It was just a year and a half ago that we got the Texaco, and MileMarker 27 to have gas in the area and they are still 10+ miles from me. We take gas cans into town and fill them at the cheaper prices and use that gas when we tool around the local areas and won't be going back into a place with the cheaper prices. We shop in bulk every month with a list and go into Kingman and Vegas to do it. We know how to pack groceries to keep frozen stuff, including popsickles, from melting before we get back home. We deal with the hussle and bussle of Vegas a minimum of once a week and are happy to get back home to the quiet and scenery of White Hills. Dolan and us are in the northwest corner of a Joshua tree forest. Joshuas are unique to a specific elevation and are gorgeous when they bloom every three years. We put a coi pond in our back yard and attracted yellow winged blackbirds, which are marsh birds, to our yard. I love this area and my husband, who is Navajo from Fort Defiance, AZ on the eastern part of AZ does too. Yes, there are too many dusty, windy days but the sunsets we get from that and the surrounding mountains make for spectacular sunsets. A man from back east cried when he stopped at the Texaco at night and actually SAW the beautiful night sky. We got a Prius which has been the best car we ever had and it hauls a lot and answered the issue with unaffordable commutes into town. I am in the process of getting the $ together to start a non-profit Community Assistance group here that I want to get grants to purchase land and provide services like food bank, cemetary, transportation services, and a lot more here. I know it will take some time, but we'll get there. If you improve the community you're in it ripples out in circles and spreads like wildfire. If you're disgusted with the things you see and the poverty you experience in your area YOU CAN DO SOMETHING. It's far better than doing nothing and grumbling about it all.
Welcome to the forum. You are correct in saying, "if you improve the community you're in, it spreads like wildfire."

Old 03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 40,708 times
I lived out side of Dolan for 15 years ... And liked it.
Now I live in a rural area 7100 feet up in the white mountains .. And Love it.
Some people just don't know how to get by in small rural towns.
And some people (like me) just don't know how to get by in large towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona