Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,461 times

Advertisements

Dolan Springs is terrific! I am a California writer and live here about 50 percent of the time. It is peaceful and a wonderful place to live inexpensivel,y yet be close enough to a major city--Las Vegas. I can't wait for the bridge to arrive. My neighbors are great. They look after my place when I am gone.Can't beat it. Weather is nice, I fled LA to be at peace here.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsoprano View Post
Dolan Springs is terrific! I am a California writer and live here about 50 percent of the time. It is peaceful and a wonderful place to live inexpensivel,y yet be close enough to a major city--Las Vegas. I can't wait for the bridge to arrive. My neighbors are great. They look after my place when I am gone.Can't beat it. Weather is nice, I fled LA to be at peace here.
Isn't fascinating how two different people, both from California no less, can have such completely opposite opinions of a town. Same town, just two different people. I thank you for your post.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Default Home Sweet Home

I am seeing a lot of places being bought up, and cleaned up. It's great to watch someone put in xeriscaping, paint the place, plant trees, create shade. I know that I would rather live cleanly, and simply in Dolan Springs, that to bust my *** paying for a Vegas monstrosity (money gobbler).
We had a hum dinger of a storm 2 days ago. I stood and watched my driveway wash out. The ground squirrels had their tiny surfboards. It could have been worse, but it's a lot easier than having the thing paved with hot black asphalt. There are some rough rocky roads in Dolan Springs, and I can't count the times I have been told by well meaning locals to "just call the county, and they will grade your road". That's not true. Then, they mumble something about my being a taxpayer. Some roads have ROCKS..as in BIG rocks. They need to be dealt with in a different manner. I can hear it now :

(me calling the county)

'Hello, this is Miss Flaptorn on Boswell road, can you come and grade it for us ? We pay taxes."
Loud laughter on the other end of the phone... "Bosssswell Road ???hahahhah you gotta be kiddin me."

Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dian-az View Post
There ain't any good nothin' in Dolan Springs...
What contributions have you made to improve the town? Have you attended any town meetings? Have you made positive suggestions that would improve the quality of life? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highsoprano View Post
This photo of the Joshua trees about 10 miles in on Pierce Ferry Rd 1950's when land was sold from the Los Angeles area to California buyers. The sales office was in Azusa at the time. (I think this is where it was taken, I have two more that were definitely taken at Dolan Springs)

Attachment 45878
Click to enlarge....

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Roosevelt, that's a really cool shot. May I ask how you came across these great historic shots?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 PM

61 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What contributions have you made to improve the town? Have you attended any town meetings? Have you made positive suggestions that would improve the quality of life? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
I could ask you the same thing...

Old 07-25-2009, 07:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dian-az View Post
I could ask you the same thing...
We have a winter place in Mohave County, we look forward to going every year. Sorry, no complaints.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:41 AM

61 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
We have a winter place in Mohave County, we look forward to going every year. Sorry, no complaints.
You don't live here 24/7, I wouldn't complain, either!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Golden Valley was the second large subdivision to go in after Lake Mohave Ranchos. Then there was another up Pierce Ferry Road in the Red Lake area which was just awful land, the ground was all cracked and dried out but you know, even Los Angeles was a desert at one time. No one thought about putting in deed restrictions on building at the time. You know, $10 down, $10 a month isn't going to be the Biltmore Estates. This whole area suffered when California outlawed all land sales outside of California, that is where the customers were, then Illinois did the same thing and that was the end of it. The bypass bridge is where the development is coming from now; it must cut off a lot of traveling time to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona