Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM

45 posts, read 149,849 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and her family moved here from michigan, it takes some getting used to, but they love it. Its VERY dry out here, no humidity for the most part, and its alot hotter, but not by much, 90 and humid is horrible, Its a nicer hot, but still sucks.

Teaching in AZ sucks, as far as I have heard.

And Yuma SUCKS, its ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM

24 posts, read 105,978 times
Exclamation fellow Michigander

I came to AZ from Michigan. Grew up in Clarkston by Pine Knob.

RUN, Run fast from YUMA...you will NOT like it, not one bit..not even a little.

AVONDALE IS NOT MUCH BETTER. You should be able to find a teaching job in just about any city in AZ. Try looking at Maricopa county, or searching for a private school job...more money, better quality of life for you and your family.

East Mesa is nice, Las Sendas is like heaven, but the homes start in the $300's.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstree View Post
1. Not Yuma.
2. You DO NOT want to teach in AZ. Under NO circumstances should you take a public school job teaching in AZ.
3. Rinse and repeat!
My son just accepted a teaching job in south mountain park school district at a elementary school. What can you share with me that might help him? He also just rented a apartment in Tempe at a gated community.Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks 69roadrunner

Old 06-30-2007, 02:44 PM

43 posts, read 297,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69roadrunner View Post
My son just accepted a teaching job in south mountain park school district at a elementary school. What can you share with me that might help him? He also just rented a apartment in Tempe at a gated community.Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks 69roadrunner
Oh where to begin. Maybe things will improve after NCLB gets the boot in 2008. AZ has no union, not really. It is a right to work state. BE prepared to have to carry your own insurance umbrella. School teaching is treated like a second-income re-entry housewife job. It JUST IS. Horrible career to be a male in AZ. I was at it for 10 years. Yep. Pay is horrible, the state doesn't support education, except to tell the teachers that they are taking a pay cut again because they invested the state retirement funds in Enron. Whooopsie! Then we enter into merit pay, ESL learners having their scores aggregated into standardized scores...on and on...holy cow. Best of luck to your son. Really. EVERYONE I know has quit. Of the 15 people I entered with out of school all are done. Every last one. And not in a nice way.
Sorry to be a turd, but...

Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,647 times
Question Uti

Quote:
Oh where to begin. Maybe things will improve after NCLB gets the boot in 2008. AZ has no union, not really. It is a right to work state. BE prepared to have to carry your own insurance umbrella. School teaching is treated like a second-income re-entry housewife job. It JUST IS. Horrible career to be a male in AZ. I was at it for 10 years. Yep. Pay is horrible, the state doesn't support education, except to tell the teachers that they are taking a pay cut again because they invested the state retirement funds in Enron. Whooopsie! Then we enter into merit pay, ESL learners having their scores aggregated into standardized scores...on and on...holy cow. Best of luck to your son. Really. EVERYONE I know has quit. Of the 15 people I entered with out of school all are done. Every last one. And not in a nice way.
Im a currently thinking of moving from Detroit, MI to Avondale and going to UTI. How is the auto industry there? Im also interested in achitecture, is Arizona in general a good place for me to live with my career interest?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 47,084 times
Quote:
I think you being a turd is great!! My husband and I are both teachers..Can I ask you what the salary was??? I know its a bit personal, but I am trying to figure out the cost of living. We both got offered teaching jobs in Goodyear AZ.

Thanks!

Danni

Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Hirsch View Post
Move to Sedona. We have much better weather than Yuma, and there are plenty of lawyers looking for paralegals
Hello There,
My name is Lisa Hirsch and I am the new principal of West Sedona School in Sedona, Arizona. Dr. Lisa Hirsch
928-204-6800
928-301-1408
Are there really a lot of lawyers in Sedona? I had no idea. I'm a legal assistant who'll be moving to AZ at the end of the year. I was going to move to Queen Creek, but if Sedona has a lot of lawyers looking for assistants, I may have to rethink this . . . Do you have any idea what they're paying?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM

105 posts, read 446,053 times
Yup move to Sedona if you want to pay $500,000 for a 1 bedroom shack, LOL.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:09 PM

105 posts, read 446,053 times
I hope you find what you are looking for in Arizona. I personally would love to move to the midwest. It is part of my retirement strategy. I will buy my retirement house cheap in Michigan from the people who left to pay overinflated Arizona prices. Anyways, I seriously would also pick Avondale. I have only been to Yuma a couple of times, intentionally. I find a variety of places in Mexico nicer overall than Yuma. Yuma is like Mexico without the amenities. Only, and only if you have to be nearer the ocean or San Diego should you consider Yuma.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 PM

56 posts, read 263,731 times
Teacher Man
Don't move to Yuma, stay in the Phoenix area. The pay is horrible throughout the entire state but at least you will be in an area that has lots to do. I am a retired teacher from MI, lived in AZ for a while and have returned to MI so I have the luxury of not having to get a job. I lived in Ahwatukee and liked it a lot; that district pays well (Kyrene Unified Schools). Avondale and Litchfield are farther away fron the city and have a large "bluecollar" population. You do want to live near where you teach because the traffic is horrible in the entire Phoenix area. Be prepared for the horrible heat BUT you will love the beautiful blue skies, mountain views and never having to shovel snow again. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona