Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,317,136 times

Advertisements

Here's wishing Basha's, a longtime homestate grocer, the very best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,660,822 times
Basha's grocery prices are comparable to walmart and you usually can find little neat items you wouldn't find at wally world. A couple examples would be they have personal sized ice creams there. I am not talking pints, im referring to a smaller size, that you can get your fix of ice cream. Their brand also has wonderful frozen pizza.

There is one in downtown I had no idea exsisted.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
article in the Republic this AM said they were closing one Food City across from a new test-market Supermercado de WalMart on Thomas....tough news.....
this is completely false if reported

the supermercado is at 91st ave & thomas

the food cities they are closing are located at 43rd ave & thomas and 43rd ave @ glendale

they aren't closing any bashas on the westside

doesn't make it suck any less for those affected, but i've heard this being floated a couple times though - it's just not true

i think the closest wal-mart in any form is 56th and northern

Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Basha's grocery prices are comparable to walmart and you usually can find little neat items you wouldn't find at wally world. A couple examples would be they have personal sized ice creams there. I am not talking pints, im referring to a smaller size, that you can get your fix of ice cream. Their brand also has wonderful frozen pizza.

There is one in downtown I had no idea exsisted.
Interesting, w1ngser0 . . . I always thought pints were personal size.

! ! ! ! ! !

Not a supermarket connoisseur by any stretch, however, I could never understand a Bashas and a Food City within a block or two of each other. Convenience is important but sometimes competing with yourself just doesn't make sense either.

I definitely wish the employees well.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 30,369 times
Wow, Basha's just recently finished redoing the Fountain Hills store from the ground up, it's very nice too. I like Bashas, there are some good people that work for Basha's. But since I've moved I'm closer to Frys. Even though there are so many choices for grocery shopping I still would hate to see Basha's go out of business, it would be sad. I wish you well Basha's.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,660,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting, w1ngser0 . . . I always thought pints were personal size.

! ! ! ! ! !
lol! Maybe for some people it is, but for me its a two person serving.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,740,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
lol! Maybe for some people it is, but for me its a two person serving.
Those are not exclusive to Basha. the Fry's by my house has the mini cream for 99cents. Also, I hope the don't close the Basha's by me I love their Deli, Bakery, and the meat is much better the the others. Also, contrary to what everyone is saying since the price cut the prices are inline with what I buy at Fry's. they also have specialty items.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,929,679 times
I’ve always been puzzled by Basha’s concept (or lack of concept) of doing things and the news didn’t surprise me all that much. Their branding is all over the map and they spread themselves too thin. You can’t possibly successfully cater to all segments of the market. We have mainstream (nothing unique, but expensive) grocery stores; then we have low-end Food City; and to top it off we have all the bells and pricey whistles in upscale AJ’s. I can’t imagine how a person of moderate means (sorry, buddy, can’t remember your concoction-of-letters moniker) can say that mainstream Basha’s prices are low! At least in Tucson Basha’s has consistently ranked throughout the years in the top 3 most expensive grocery stores, most of the time being first or second. That should’ve rung a bell. Their middle-of-the-road stores offer nothing different (either as ambience or as selection) and are expensive to boot. Why would anybody choose to spend more there?!

Mainstream grocery stores need to understand that their business models set them for failure because they provide nothing unique and compete on price alone. Obviously, the gigantic chains will win in this battle. I don’t see Fry’s going out of business any time soon. I also don’t see Trader Joe’s going out of business because they happen to know what they’re doing and they’re in a category of their own! They have found a market niche and have no desire or intention to compete with the big chains. They offer unique goods people will go there for after the mundane trip to the regular grocery store. They’ve promoted this “scavenger hunt” philosophy, which is very successful. It shows they know their customers and they’ve studied some psychology. Looking for treasures is something exciting! You’re likely to find something new every time you visit. Then, sometimes you might not find something you’ve been used to, but that won’t necessarily deter you from shopping there again. That’s intermittent reinforcement and people respond very well to it, whether they like to admit it or not. Costco works in a similar fashion, too. I read a book about TJ’s. It’s not much of a book as far as its quality, but it does outline what a successful business is made of. They also treat their employees well. VERY WELL!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,877,936 times
They are overpriced. Granted, they have good olive oil prices, and great deals on avocadoes, but I can get better dibbs at Smiths, but what I really want is a Trader Joes. I go all the way to Las Vegas to do my "hard to find" shopping. I have seen convenience stores cheaper than Bashas, and that's not easy to do these days.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,998,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
They are overpriced. Granted, they have good olive oil prices, and great deals on avocadoes, but I can get better dibbs at Smiths, but what I really want is a Trader Joes. I go all the way to Las Vegas to do my "hard to find" shopping. I have seen convenience stores cheaper than Bashas, and that's not easy to do these days.
Sounds to me you are in the Kingman area since all 4 Smiths stores left in Arizona are in Mohave County and your listed your locale as 'high desert' which eliminates BHC/Ft Mohave as well as Havasu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona