Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 15,075 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
The company where my husband works is planning to open an office in Arizona (not yet desided what city) and I would like to get some input about cities that might fit our lifestyle/likes. I used to live in Miami Florida for several years, then I got married, pregnant and I started looking for a more family oriented area to live so we moved to Cumming, GA. Here is almost perfect for us, but we might have to move. We like sports (tennis, soccer, softball), we like an area with young families (age between 26-45) and my first priority """excellent""" schools (elementary) and well educated individuals (white collar). Please let me know your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Well, I assume your company's office will be in either Phoenix or Tucson. If we are talking Phoenix area, I think you'd like Tempe very much. Good schools, great parks and rec programs and other youth programs in the sports you mention, good public transportation, lots of nice neighborhoods with young families, well-educated population, including a large component of the university faculty.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
all depends on your income level imo.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,224 times
You said white collar, so the East Valley is where you would most fit in. IMO, the further west you go, the collar eventually turns into no collar.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 AM

157 posts, read 422,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
You said white collar, so the East Valley is where you would most fit in. IMO, the further west you go, the collar eventually turns into no collar.
I dont think I can agree with this statement. There are lots of places in west valley (Litchfield Park, parts of Goodyear, North Glendale or North Peoria) that will compete with anything in East Valley

Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 AM

thanks for your info. I'll start searching Tempe, also income level will be between the 70's to 90's p/year. Housing no more than 300's. Is Tempe in East Valley?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 AM

I also forgot to ask..climate wise..Being in Florida I am traumatize by hurricanes, then we moved to Georgia and there are tornados here, not many but at least 4 to 5 city alarms per year and I did not buy a house with basement so we hide in the closet..not comfortable at all...Do I need a basement in AZ?? Is there a natural disaster common there??

Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Tempe is kinda of east valley. It's not west. Anyway, I don't think Tempe is "young family" country. It is university students and empty nesters mostly IMO. Tempe has a fairly high crime rate second only to the city of Phoenix though much of that is university related - still, it's there. I think I would look at Ahwatukee (Phoenix east of I10 and south of South Mountain Park or Chandler (just east of the Ahwahtukee area). Much more kid oriented I think than Tempe is.

Of course everything depends on where the company goes. There are good areas in all quadrants. You don't want to be messing with an ugly commute in 115 degrees heat. So the decision has to come about that before you get serious in home hunting.

Anyhow, in the price range you are looking you will be in a good neighborhood with the things you want kind of by default, no matter where you decide to go.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 AM

I am not sure price range will get me where I want, in Florida we lived in a beautiful neighboorhood but hardly any young families and I did not feel comfortable. I checked Tempe housing and yes it seems like University town, mostly condos, old housing in my price range and the new houses are out of my range. I will check Ahwatukee..we have a saying on where the office can go so I am not sure if most of the young families/nicer neigborhoods are around Tucson or Phoenix. Hints about both we'll help. Just like the one about west Valley missing the collar, it doesn't mean that all places are bad but it means there is a posibbility I won't be pleased with most areas I guess.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I don't usually disagree with Ponderosa, but I will on this one re: Tempe. (if it's all university and empty nesters, why do we have some of the best schools in the Valley, and a great parks and rec department?)

I don't have time to look up the crime statistics, but I can say that what there is is University area related. The crime logs for the primary residential areas are short.

That said, if you aren't finding what you want in your price range in terms of housing, I agree that Ahwahtukee is a nice option-- the schools are actually in districts that are the same as Tempe's.

Do you know precisely where the company is relocating?

(And no, we don't have common weather "disasters" like hurricanes or tornados. Severe thunderstorms in the summer at times, yes (and the RARE tornado warning (and I mean RARE) that comes out of one of those) You won't need a basement, and it'll be hard to find one.

I see the Phoenix area as having more options in terms of good neighborhoods for young families than Tucson, but I've never lived in Tucson. Perhaps you should post on the Tucson forum to get more info about that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona