U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,560 times

Advertisements

hey everyone!

i'm looking to move to the southwest over the winter, but have never been so am in need of a bit of guidance. i'm 23, from vermont and am looking for a small city/big town (maybe around 50,000, more or less) with a liberal, easygoing, hippie vibe, or at least some sort of like-minded subculture. ideally, a food coop, bike trails, environmentalist ethics, live music...and a beautiful natural landscape. if any of you have ever been or know anything about burlington, vermont (where i live)...i'm after something similar. i don't expect to find it exactly, but am trying to get a gauge of what's out there.

i'm also open to new mexico (possibly even southern CA?) so would love to hear what anyone has to say about the greater SW. mostly, i'm seeking a sunny, warm winter...i'd like to leave my snowboots in the northeast!

thanks so much everyone!

sama
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,479,801 times
I think you would do better in CA. There is no liberal places in AZ really, maybe some small towns that I am not familiar with, but Flagstaff is the closest thing, and even that place is still very conservative.

We are moving to CA for this reason, we are sick of all the uptight asshats in phoenix.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
In Arizona, you'd have the best fit in Flagstaff. I can't speak for New Mexico or southern Colorado, either of which might have options. You might want to post in the forums for those states to get more info. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
I think Sedona is the closest thing in AZ. There's definitely a sub culture there. Flagstaff is cold in winter. Sedona is $$$, though.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:38 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think Sedona is the closest thing in AZ. There's definitely a sub culture there. Flagstaff is cold in winter. Sedona is $$$, though.
It's got a bit of that subculture, (no food coop, and not so much live music) but it's not young. And it is pricey. Flagstaff is a closer fit, but it's not exactly what you are looking for, either. You will get snow there at times in winter, and it is cold. As has been suggested, there may not be what you want in AZ. Or Colorado, if you don't want snow. NM (as long as you stay low enough in elevation) and CA may be better bets.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's got a bit of that subculture, (no food coop, and not so much live music) but it's not young. And it is pricey. Flagstaff is a closer fit, but it's not exactly what you are looking for, either. You will get snow there at times in winter, and it is cold. As has been suggested, there may not be what you want in AZ. Or Colorado, if you don't want snow. NM (as long as you stay low enough in elevation) and CA may be better bets.
The Cali towns are up by the SF bay which is cold and wet in the winter. Taos is kinda hippie, but it is colder than Flagstaff. I noticed several web sites that list hippie towns. Sedona is on most of them, though as you say, what hippies there are are old ones with money. But aren't hippies like all 60-ish now anyway?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,651,928 times
How about Bisbee? I haven't made it down there yet, but I've it described as being retro-hippie/cowboy or something along those lines.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,895,723 times
Your requirements scream Tucson. Tucson is a very liberal city, is rumored to have more environmentalists per square mile of any major city in the country, has a hippie/bohemian vibe, especially around the university. Pima County, home to Tucson, is one of only two counties in Arizona that went for Obama. Pima County is also the only county in Arizona that voted against a constitutional ban on gay marriage. There are several food co-ops throughout Tucson and the city is also ranked the most bike-friendly city in the Southwest.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,714,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Your requirements scream Tucson. Tucson is a very liberal city, is rumored to have more environmentalists per square mile of any major city in the country, has a hippie/bohemian vibe, especially around the university. Pima County, home to Tucson, is one of only two counties in Arizona that went for Obama. Pima County is also the only county in Arizona that voted against a constitutional ban on gay marriage. There are several food co-ops throughout Tucson and the city is also ranked the most bike-friendly city in the Southwest.
What is your opinion of arty/bohemian towns in New Mexico
compared to Tucson ?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM

687 posts, read 1,813,285 times
Bisbee fits all of your criteria. LIberal, food coop, trails, bikes, scenery, hippies old, really old and ancient, plus newer, younger deadhead styles and newagers. Very, very liberal group of people. Big Pride celebrations every year, active environmental groups, organic garden enthusiast(weekly farmers market in the town park), you name it, they have it. Nestled in the mountains, steep hills with old shacks worth $$$ hanging by a worn thread and hidden away jewels of architecture.
Yet just around the curve you have Warren...sedate, beautiful craftsman homes...inbetween is the old still mostly origional mine company housing. Check out the hidden neighborhood thru the "pipes"....like stepping back into 1968 hippietimes.
Go 30 minutes beyond and you're in Douglas, on the border, another country even on this side.
Head 30 minutes the opposite way and you'll see a military intelligence post with more secrets hidden in plain brown wrappers than Carter has liverpills.
30 minutes south and Naco....a gringo style golfcourse on the edge of a border town.
30 minutes the other way and relive the wild wild west in Tombstone. See totally "normal" people dress, live and act just about every minute of every day as if it was 1870 again and Earp hisself was inhabiting them.
I lived in Flag, went thru Sedona daily and lived on the edge of Tempe. Bisbee beats 'em all for liberal and diverse, equals them in its own way for scenery and offers about anything someone wanting to recreate hippiedom should ever, ever need.
Or you could just go to Taos or Santa Fe if you've money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona