Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
really? do you think that if you went to any other country they would cater to you language? i think not we live here in the USA not in mexico, just because we live by the border doesnt mean we have to learn spanish. just for the record i do speak spanish - but i did before i came here
Yes, I believe very strongly that other countries would cater to an English-speaking person. English-speaking persons normally are great shoppers in other countries. Also, most English-speaking peoples do not go out of their way to learn another country's language just to go shopping over there.

However, some do, but not as a rule. They know in advance that the country will provide its interpreters - that is if they want their businesses to thrive. Its part of the international business community's courtesy to where its business comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Yes, they do, because in other countries they are taught English. Here, we do not put that kind of emphasis on learning a foreign language. Some high schools require it, and many of the students get through it, but they don't take it any further than that, and act like they are being punished having to take the class. Businesses DO have to cater to their clientele, so it's not surprising that many Yuma employers want bilingual employees.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you may be a nice person (all I've been able to gather here is how miserable you are in Yuma) but you just need to recognize that even others who DO live in Yuma year round, and have posted here about their opinions, don't agree with you, and stop acting like yours is the only opinion that counts.

And this thread isn't just about Yuma anyway; interestingly, the OP hasn't been on the forum since August.

yes but most everyone i have met or talked with do agree with me about good ol yuma especially the year round residents.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yes indeed.
You can go almost anywhere in the world, and if Americans are common visitors/residents folks in the hotels, shops, restaurants or nearly any other business will likely speak English - for the simple reason that what their customers speak is what businesses want to be communicate in as well. That's just plain smart (and good) business. Why lose a sale to the competition simply because your employees cannot communicate the potential customer. Having bilingual employees in a place where lots of potential customers speak a foreign language is just free enterprise in action.

Ken
yes in businesses that want to sell stuff -resturants etc, but if you live there and you go to their college you will not be taught in your language, you will not have signs in your language, etc...

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
yes in businesses that want to sell stuff -resturants etc, but if you live there and you go to their college you will not be taught in your language, you will not have signs in your language, etc...
They don't teach all the classes at Arizona Western College in Spanish, do they? I'm sure there are ESL classes in Yuma, just like there are classes to teach Spanish.

Actually, there are some multiple language signs in Europe. What signs are you referring to here, specifically? At the colleges? Again, the signs are done to assist the clientele, just like hiring bilingual employees. It's good business.

This thread is going really off topic. Perhaps you ought to just start another one ragging on Yuma and native Spanish speakers, if that is all you want to discuss. The OP doesn't really care about all this, I suspect.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
They don't teach all the classes at Arizona Western College in Spanish, do they? I'm sure there are ESL classes in Yuma, just like there are classes to teach Spanish.

Actually, there are some multiple language signs in Europe. What signs are you referring to here, specifically? At the colleges? Again, the signs are done to assist the clientele, just like hiring bilingual employees. It's good business.

This thread is going really off topic. Perhaps you ought to just start another one ragging on Yuma and native Spanish speakers, if that is all you want to discuss. The OP doesn't really care about all this, I suspect.
no they dont but they let in people at the university who can not speak english enough to participate in the classes which is really hard for everyone else when you have to fill in the blanks when they talk. yes i agree the topic is way off,

Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM

88 posts, read 253,084 times
Well considering Arizona has a notoriously horrible school system, this isn't your best bet. But if you do plan on moving to Arizona there are few decent places.

Gilbert, northern Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa are all pretty ok.

As long as you stay clear of southern Phoenix/Glendale it's not too bad.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammerus View Post
Well considering Arizona has a notoriously horrible school system, this isn't your best bet. But if you do plan on moving to Arizona there are few decent places.

Gilbert, northern Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa are all pretty ok.

As long as you stay clear of southern Phoenix/Glendale it's not too bad.
I think it is an extreme overgeneralization to talke about Arizona's "notoriously horrible" school system. Underfunded, yes,most certainly but a lot of the rest of it is just the overblowing of that problem (often, particularly on these forums, by people who have no children and no personal experience with any school district here, even as a student) into saying that all the schools in AZ are bad, withn they most certainly are not. Many are very good, despite the poor funding. Throwing money at a district isn't all that is required to have a good education.

I would add Tempe to your list-- some very good schools, particularly in Kyrene district.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think it is an extreme overgeneralization to talke about Arizona's "notoriously horrible" school system. Underfunded, yes,most certainly but a lot of the rest of it is just the overblowing of that problem (often, particularly on these forums, by people who have no children and no personal experience with any school district here, even as a student) into saying that all the schools in AZ are bad, withn they most certainly are not. Many are very good, despite the poor funding. Throwing money at a district isn't all that is required to have a good education.

I would add Tempe to your list-- some very good schools, particularly in Kyrene district.
do you go to school? or have kids in school? i suspect you do however -i cant speak for the rest of az and i wont - i just want to say though that we are number 50 for the worst in the nation, but in yuma holy crap the schools are really really bad and trying to get help for kids who didnt finish high school its like jumping through hoops backwards to get a ged here.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
do you go to school? or have kids in school? i suspect you do however -i cant speak for the rest of az and i wont - i just want to say though that we are number 50 for the worst in the nation, but in yuma holy crap the schools are really really bad and trying to get help for kids who didnt finish high school its like jumping through hoops backwards to get a ged here.
Again, I would suggest that you stop making this thread a bash Yuma thread, which is off the original topic. If you want to discuss Yuma schools and the GED issue in Yuma (which does sound like a problem that should be fixed), why not start a thread about it for those who do have a stake in the issue (live in Yuma or plan to) and want to talk about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona