Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Well, since I can't move to Arizona quite yet, it seems the weather Gods have decided to bring Arizona to me here in Seattle. Yesterday the official high was 96 - but it was much hotter in many areas - one of the TV weathermen - on top of a building in downtown Seattle - showed a thermometer displaying 112, and said it read 120 just an hour earlier than his broadcast. That's not an official reading of course - and not really indicative of the actual air temperature, but it does point out that it was REALLY hot (especially for Seattle).

Today is going to be even hotter - with an expected official high of 101 (a new record for Seattle) and with many outlying areas expected to have highs up towards 110 (in these kinds of weather conditions it's actually hotter up in the foothills around the city (since those locations are further from the cool waters of Puget Sound). The record for highest overnight low has likely been shattered last night (still 73 at my house near the airport at the moment) and the coolest day in the next week is expected to be in the lower 80's.

Cookin' in Seattle.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
That can be QUITE hot there, as not every place has AC as we do here. Hang in there... 80's sound good, coming soon!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
LB, you just gotta cut and go. Sell your land by Benson, buy our place just outside SV. Going on the market for 83,500 obo next weekend, cash. Supposed to be 95 today, clouds were already building over the mountains when I left for work at 0630. Think the monsoon is over, not much rain forecast. Firewood box is full, raising the second crop of pumpkins(if you can call 5 pumpkins a crop, but got limited area so...), sunflowers are done, the birds are eating them, same with the grapes. And for the first time that everyone I've asked recalls....we have bright solid red cardinals nesting and staying around!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 AM

76 already at my house (at 8:15 am).

Drb85650 - We'll be happy enough out at J-6. LOVE the SV area though (especially south of town). Retirement is just too far away right now to move down there. Still, with summers like we're having this year I'm not in so much of a hurry to move away. Now, come late October...

Ken

Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
and it is even worse (OP) in our "traditionally hot" summer climate. . . when the outside them is 115 -118 (ambient air temp in the shade), temps on sun exposed surfaces are much worse (135 - 150 degrees) I work outdoors, it is almost impossible to stay in even partially shaded areas, those who are forced to park their cars in the sun soon learn to take pot holders to prevent burns upon re-entry, and the AZ Republic today had an article stating that July 2009 is the hottest on record (average of daytime and nighttime temps). Even "desert adapted" plants are dying right and left, this year, as opposed to previous years where only the temperate climate plants (roses, etc.) suffered to such a degree. If I were you, I might "rethink" the decision to move to Phoenix. Of course, if you have plenty of money for air conditioning, a pool in the backyard, shady places to park the vehicle and no real need to spend any exteneded time outdoors during the worst part of the summer, it is a great place to live!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
and it is even worse (OP) in our "traditionally hot" summer climate. . . when the outside them is 115 -118 (ambient air temp in the shade), temps on sun exposed surfaces are much worse (135 - 150 degrees) I work outdoors, it is almost impossible to stay in even partially shaded areas, those who are forced to park their cars in the sun soon learn to take pot holders to prevent burns upon re-entry, and the AZ Republic today had an article stating that July 2009 is the hottest on record (average of daytime and nighttime temps). Even "desert adapted" plants are dying right and left, this year, as opposed to previous years where only the temperate climate plants (roses, etc.) suffered to such a degree. If I were you, I might "rethink" the decision to move to Phoenix. Of course, if you have plenty of money for air conditioning, a pool in the backyard, shady places to park the vehicle and no real need to spend any exteneded time outdoors during the worst part of the summer, it is a great place to live!
If you are directing this to me, keep in mind that we're not moving to Phoenix (which is wayyyyyyy too hot for us) but rather out to J-6 - which is SE of Tucson at 4,200 feet, and thus much cooler than Phoenix. We deliberately choose SE Arizona because of it's more temperate climate.

Regarding this years weather - though our winter and sping were LOUSY here in Seattle, in later May it was as if someone had just thrown a switch and suddenly it was SUMMER - and it's been remarkable ever since. Though the last few days have been a bit warmer than I'd prefer, overall I've been enjoying this year enormously.

Ken

Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
If you are directing this to me, keep in mind that we're not moving to Phoenix (which is wayyyyyyy too hot for us) but rather out to J-6 - which is SE of Tucson at 4,200 feet, and thus much cooler than Phoenix. We deliberately choose SE Arizona because of it's more temperate climate.

Regarding this years weather - though our winter and sping were LOUSY here in Seattle, in later May it was as if someone had just thrown a switch and suddenly it was SUMMER - and it's been remarkable ever since. Though the last few days have been a bit warmer than I'd prefer, overall I've been enjoying this year enormously.

Ken
Hi Ken, the higher elevations of the Tucson area should be lovely, as are most places above 4000 - 5000 ft. in AZ. You have made a wise choice, and I hope that you soon get to enjoy it. AZ really is a marvelous place to live, even Phx, with the exception of the hot summer months!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Hi Ken, the higher elevations of the Tucson area should be lovely, as are most places above 4000 - 5000 ft. in AZ. You have made a wise choice, and I hope that you soon get to enjoy it. AZ really is a marvelous place to live, even Phx, with the exception of the hot summer months!
Thanks!

Yeah, we were pretty careful in our property search because we wanted a specific climate range - and I'm pretty sure we got what we wanted in that regard. According to the online weather station near our land our average highs for June/July/August are just 93/91/88 - which is I think, pretty nice. We DID want it warm (hence the land search in Arizona) but not super-hot, so my my criteria in this regards was:

1) Never to average above 100 for a daily high (at any time of the year)
2) Never to drop below 32 for a daily average low (at any time of the year).

That's pretty much what we got.

Ken

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Well, for what it's worth, it's now (2:30 PM) 99 degrees at my house - same as in Tucson right now.

Ken

Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 PM

OK, we officially broke the record for the hottest day ever - currently 101 at the Seatac Airport weatherstation (again, same as in Tucson). 102 at my house (about 3 miles from there).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona