Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 19,723 times

Advertisements

Hi! I live in Las Cruces, NM, and I need some major dental work. I have 20 year old veneers that are peeling off. I've checked in the US and the dentists here want $20,000 to $30,000 for replacing the old veneers with crowns. I've checked with an online dentist in Juarez, and the price is less than $4k. I hear the work is comparable if not better, but I'm also aware of the violence in the border towns. I read that even the mayor of Columbus was robbed while in the dental chair of a dentist in Palomas. Any suggestions on where I could find a good dentist in a safe, really safe, border town of New Mexico or Arizona?

Thanks! BarefootGuy

Search: dentist, dentists, mexico, border, new mexico, arizona, tucson, deming, palomas, nogales, agua prieta, douglas, columbus, hermosillo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGuy View Post
Any suggestions on where I could find a good dentist in a safe, really safe, border town of New Mexico or Arizona?

Thanks! BarefootGuy
Safe border towns have disappeared. You might consider getting dentures here as they would be even less than the $4K and you would be able to keep both your head and your new teeth without bullet holes in either.

altus2006

Old 08-08-2009, 07:27 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Definitely a toughie, BarefootGuy . . . I feel for you.

I have heard a few positive dentist stories out of Mexico as well as some very horrible stories. Not only are the border towns becoming more and more dangerous but medical standards are different and one mistake or infection can be both painful and uncomfortable for a long time.

My suggestion would be to shop around on this side of the border.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 AM

75 posts, read 95,107 times
Use 60,000 frequent flyer miles and go to Chiangmai, Thailand.
www.gracedentalclinic.com There are Westerners on the staff, they have the latest technology. It is 10 times better/safer than Mexico. This is the high end for Thailand. I had my Mexican work that lasted about 5 years redone at another place for half of what Grace charges. They are the most tourist friendly though.

As far as Mexico goes; Nogales Unified School District does send its employees over there to Laser Dental (zero deductible). Most of them are from there, anyway. You are less likely to get robbed in Nogales than you would be by your US Dentist.

The vaneers take a lot of craftsmanship, I would trust the Asians. There is a reason the CEO of Avon is from Hong Kong. There are also 30,000 female University Students in Chiangmai (all with good teeth, very few fat ones). So if your mouth hurts; you can just look.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 PM

8 posts, read 29,238 times
Default dentist in Mexico

Hi,

I know what you're up against in looking for someone good. I went thru this
years ago.

TRY:
Dr Gabriel Garcia D.D.S. in Los Algodones - phone in USA 928-246-4310

email: drggc@prodigy.net.mx

He's young, bright, speaks perfect English, has a beautiful, clean office with a well trained staff....he's very reasonable too - $30 for a cleaning!!

travel about 20 minutes east of Yuma AZ on I-8 - get off the hwy and
park in a lot run by the American Indians at $5.00 per day.
walk over the border - it's full of doctors, dentists, eye doctors, pharmacies,
etc. these professionals make certain that the trouble stays away - this
is their livelihood and they all do very well here.

Good Luck

Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
I have a family friend who went down to RP for some work, she got crowns, and some other work done. She saved something like 75% by doing it that way.

Personally, I would be affriad of infection.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
go to algodones mexico. its pretty safe there and the people are friendly. go to dr. magana my son went there and they got him right in and did a good job.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Default If you don't feel comfortable with Mexico try........

First of all, you could get shot on the way to seeing a Dentist in Las Cruces, or Albuquerque or anywhere in the U.S. My front windshield was glazed by a bullet on the way to work one day, being too close to a driveby shooting.

How many tourists are shot in border towns every year?

I've become a medical tourist myself. Myself, I find Central America to be safer. When you're looking at thousands in dental work, it might pay you to get the cheapest airfare to somewhere in Central America, and have it done there.

Last year, I had 4 fillings, an xray and cleaning done for $40 in Auchipan, El Salvador. You'll find Central America to be even cheaper than Mexico. And if you do go to Mexico, go to the local dentists, not the ones with the fancy websites in English. There, again, you'll save yourself some money.

When I go to Tijuana, for any medical care, I seek out the local Doctors.
Much cheaper, same quality work. $60 for a crown in Tijuana, that's what I paid going to a local dentist there.

Myself, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to cross the border today, any border town in Mexico. And despite the crime in Juarez, it's a nice city with a very pleasant city plaza, and some nice accomodations as well, if you have to stay over.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
Just find a guy on a corner with some plyers, and offer him a $20.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,930 times
Default Dentist in Nogales, Mexico

Hey BarefootGuy.

Mario Gonzalez, in Nogales, MX. E.mail is [email]cobramm99@yahoo.com[/email]. I've been going to him for 4 years, friends of mine have been going to him for much longer. I found him thru friends who grew up in Tucson and now live in Manhattan. They still make a trip down to Nogales while they're in Tucson for Holidays.

Mario's Awesome. He's right across the border a couple of blocks and there's nothing to worry about, don't let the folks frighten you. You can have a shot and Margarita next door to his office while you wait for him. Then have lunch at La Roca, ask anyone for directions, it's in walking distance.

It's a great day trip, if you want more fun, spend the night at the Fray Marcos de Niza, also within walking distance and experience downtown nightlife.

I'll be in Las Cruces Sept. 11 thru 14th, if you want to meet up for a drink. I'm all about meeting new folks. I have friends in Las Cruces that I'm visiting. At some point we're going to the Rio Grande Theater.

Regards, James
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona