Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
That article is not a valid news article, just a blog post.

I am going again for Thanksgiving, no worries.
Karma its news article from AZ central. its a news article not a blog. If y'all go to Rocky point be safe to be careful and aware of your surroundings

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 PM

687 posts, read 1,940,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Karma its news article from AZ central. its a news article not a blog. If y'all go to Rocky point be safe to be careful and aware of your surroundings
It's a blog post on the azcentral site. I don't doubt the story's veracity, but it's definitely not a news article.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
It's a blog post on the azcentral site. I don't doubt the story's veracity, but it's definitely not a news article.
I just went back and looked and you are right. It was on the front page and I was unaware it was just a blog however I believe the story 100%. I may go to Rocky Point but I wouldn't take my family there(which give me no right to go to RP)

Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,380,840 times
I wouldn't take a family, just because I don't think Rocky Point is really an appropiate place for kids in the first place. I am going with my fiance, and her family who have a house down 10 minutes east of town.

I have never had any real problems in mexico, but I only go into town if needed, most of the time I am on the back drinking dos equis, or out in the water.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I wouldn't take a family, just because I don't think Rocky Point is really an appropiate place for kids in the first place. I am going with my fiance, and her family who have a house down 10 minutes east of town.

I have never had any real problems in mexico, but I only go into town if needed, most of the time I am on the back drinking dos equis, or out in the water.
I can't afford a beach house. Sucks that I bust my ass doing hot construction work 15 hours a day and can't afford that..........but enough whining. I would be more concerned about the drive on down. If I can fly in, rent a cheap car and rent a beach house you better believe that my whole family would be up there

Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 PM

919 posts, read 3,385,158 times
Quote:
I can't afford a beach house. Sucks that I bust my ass doing hot construction work 15 hours a day and can't afford that..........but enough whining. I would be more concerned about the drive on down. If I can fly in, rent a cheap car and rent a beach house you better believe that my whole family would be up there
I couldn't afford to buy anything there either, but we rent houses/condos all the time in RP, from big houses, medium sized townhomes and the last time was a fancy condo in one of the new resort towers. There are great deals because many hundreds of people bought places there but don't live year round or even extended periods. I'm not even a huge fan of RP but still end up going 2-3 times a year just for a long weekend with friends. It can be done quite cheaply and the drive is fine.

Safety wise, we're probably more in perile driving around PHX. The nightclub area is a little dumpy at night but overall RP is actually a very sleepy place. In fact I think it's kind of boring, but enjoy spending time with friends.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I couldn't afford to buy anything there either, but we rent houses/condos all the time in RP, from big houses, medium sized townhomes and the last time was a fancy condo in one of the new resort towers. There are great deals because many hundreds of people bought places there but don't live year round or even extended periods. I'm not even a huge fan of RP but still end up going 2-3 times a year just for a long weekend with friends. It can be done quite cheaply and the drive is fine.

Safety wise, we're probably more in perile driving around PHX. The nightclub area is a little dumpy at night but overall RP is actually a very sleepy place. In fact I think it's kind of boring, but enjoy spending time with friends.
how is the stretch from sonoita to RP? Does it feel like your the only one on the road or is it busy?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 AM

919 posts, read 3,385,158 times
Quote:
how is the stretch from sonoita to RP? Does it feel like your the only one on the road or is it busy?
It's well traveled and was built for the tourists so it's among the nicest stretch of modern road you'll find in either country. The only funky parts of the commute are just across the border getting to the highway (getting through town traffic) and once you get into RP, as most local streets are sand. The vast majority of the journey is on a well kept, tourist dominated, newly built roadway.

Here's the rub... RP isn't Cabo, PV or Cancun. Nobody flies there. It has beaches, but it's not the blue azure of the Pacific or Caribbean... just the ho hum upper Baja gulf. It's very arid and without tourism and proximity to AZ, wouldn't even register as a place to visit. Most Californians seeking a similar scene, for example, head down the Pacific side to Ensenada, etc. The road to RP, therefore, is the only artery of tourism and development capital to the area. They protect it and maintain it well. That's not to say a RP cop might not shake someone down for a $40 fine once in town (for things such as drinking a beer while driving), but the vast majority of visitors won't even see a cop or baddie... just local folks happy to make a living.

It's not a major port, airline hub and too far from the border to be a major drug transport area. The only danger I've ever felt was from drunk, stupid Americans at the nightclubs!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
It's well traveled and was built for the tourists so it's among the nicest stretch of modern road you'll find in either country. The only funky parts of the commute are just across the border getting to the highway (getting through town traffic) and once you get into RP, as most local streets are sand. The vast majority of the journey is on a well kept, tourist dominated, newly built roadway.

Here's the rub... RP isn't Cabo, PV or Cancun. Nobody flies there. It has beaches, but it's not the blue azure of the Pacific or Caribbean... just the ho hum upper Baja gulf. It's very arid and without tourism and proximity to AZ, wouldn't even register as a place to visit. Most Californians seeking a similar scene, for example, head down the Pacific side to Ensenada, etc. The road to RP, therefore, is the only artery of tourism and development capital to the area. They protect it and maintain it well. That's not to say a RP cop might not shake someone down for a $40 fine once in town (for things such as drinking a beer while driving), but the vast majority of visitors won't even see a cop or baddie... just local folks happy to make a living.

It's not a major port, airline hub and too far from the border to be a major drug transport area. The only danger I've ever felt was from drunk, stupid Americans at the nightclubs!
Awesome! I plan on taking the family down there when the drug war thing chills out a bit. do you know anything about cheap accommodations that are very safe down there?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,380,840 times
If you google "Rocky Point Rentals" you shoudl be able to find beach houses and condos.

Her family shares the house with another couple, they went in 50/50 on the cost of the house, I think it's around $2k a month from each couple, but we can go down anytime we want, usually just wait until family goes though, real nice.

The drive there is nice, I hate driving through sonoita at night cause it's a little sketchy but after that it's a straight shot to RP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona