Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

114 posts, read 425,173 times

Advertisements

We have family that lives in Sonoyta and Rocky Point, so we go there often.
That masacre on the HWY between Sonoyta and Caborca, were men involved in drug trafficking. They're not regular people like us, or our family who lives down there. They are people who have done the cartels wrong, stealing from them, or taking on more than they can handle.
Especially here in the RP part of Mexico, people that have died have ties w/ the cartels, they're not killing people off the street like our serial killers here did a couple years back.
I understand many don't want to go to Mexico for various reasons, and that is fine for you.
But for those of us that do make the trip, it's just as dangerous here as it is there.
Actually, I'm more afraid of getting robed or of a home invasion here, than when we are down there.
I'd rather give a Mexican cop $10bucks than have a gun pointed at my face or my kids head to give them everything I have, here.
Obviously, you've read the terrible things that go on here too.
It's just a matter of choice. I don't think we should go on the attack for either decision.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM

872 posts, read 999,139 times
The real question is, why would you even WANT to go down there? Even if it isn't dangerous, what is the appeal? It is a gross country and people really just go there because the drinking age is 18. Places like this and Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, etc are all fake. They are just tourists traps. We are giving the corrupt gov down there money, stop it!! There are SO many beautiful places here in the US!!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
The real question is, why would you even WANT to go down there? Even if it isn't dangerous, what is the appeal? It is a gross country and people really just go there because the drinking age is 18. Places like this and Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, etc are all fake. They are just tourists traps. We are giving the corrupt gov down there money, stop it!! There are SO many beautiful places here in the US!!
Valid point, Jnviv

I agree most destinations in that area are basically tourist traps, however, many do have ample natural beauty although I doubt most visitors take the time to appreciate that side.

More beauty than many in this country? . . . ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Are the Mexican destinations worth the risk . . . ABSOLUTELY NOT! . . . especially considering there are numerous destinations within a similar range that are much safer.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaudia View Post
We have family that lives in Sonoyta and Rocky Point, so we go there often.
That masacre on the HWY between Sonoyta and Caborca, were men involved in drug trafficking. They're not regular people like us, or our family who lives down there. They are people who have done the cartels wrong, stealing from them, or taking on more than they can handle.
Especially here in the RP part of Mexico, people that have died have ties w/ the cartels, they're not killing people off the street like our serial killers here did a couple years back.
I understand many don't want to go to Mexico for various reasons, and that is fine for you.
But for those of us that do make the trip, it's just as dangerous here as it is there.
Actually, I'm more afraid of getting robed or of a home invasion here, than when we are down there.
I'd rather give a Mexican cop $10bucks than have a gun pointed at my face or my kids head to give them everything I have, here.
Obviously, you've read the terrible things that go on here too.
It's just a matter of choice. I don't think we should go on the attack for either decision.
That caborca massacre was sooo gruesome though. when I googled it to learn more the site I was on showed pics.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
That caborca massacre was sooo gruesome though. when I googled it to learn more the site I was on showed pics.
Yes, but unfortunately for them, they were in the wrong kind of business (a family member knew a couple of them). They weren't very honest people.
I will worry when they begin to kill random people walking on the sidewalk.
Again, just a matter of choice. I figure I'm not putting anyone else in danger, if there is any, but myself.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I wouldn't take a family, just because I don't think Rocky Point is really an appropiate place for kids in the first place.
Why not? I know several folks who've taken their kids there. We're planning on taking ours there some time, so I'm curious what the problem is.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM

We never go w/o ours. 3 Under 10. They love the beach, they stay there all day.
Can't say we can make it back w/o sunburn.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaudia View Post
Can't say we can make it back w/o sunburn.
More evidence that Rocky Point is unsafe! Sunburn Danger!!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
More evidence that Rocky Point is unsafe! Sunburn Danger!!!!
You got me there!
But as I said, were only a danger to ourselves.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Because it is the closest beach from Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona