Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,046 times

Advertisements

I'll just pot it here.

Someone I know got a speeding ticket in Arizona. She lives in Texas. She told me ( called them ) that it would not go on ANY record ( criminal/driving ) cause it was under 21mph. I have never ever heard of something like this. I can not believe that a speeding ticket would not go on your record at all ( especially 20 mph over the limit ) I can not find anything about it online. I hope some AZ resident can help me! Would be reason enough to move to AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,451 times
couple of different issues. If she was mailed a ticket generated by one of our freeway cameras, then she's right. Not on DMV record.

If she was given a ticket by a real live police officer, then 'it depends' An arizona ticket 'may' show up on a texas DMV search if they are part of the interstate compact... usually neighboring states show each other's traffic tickets, but not always. There's a good chance that an AZ ticket to a TX resident won't make it back to the texas database.

Does not apply of course to arizona residents ticketed in their home state -- much like everywhere else.

It'd be like a texas driver given a ticket in a Uhaul in maine.... not much chance of that making its way back to the texas driver's home record.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
21 MPH or less has nothing to do with it.

There's a statute still on the books that applies to certain highways, that goes back to the 55 MPH days. I assume it would still apply on certain highways where that is still the limit. Under that statute, 10 miles or less over doesn't count on any record.

I've been told here that the photo radar tickets also don't count, but I have not yet seen or found the statutory authority for that.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,451 times
I wish people wouldn't answer if they weren't sure.

21+ absolutely matters. Faster than 20mph is a criminal violation, a misdemeanor. Misdemeanors show up countrywide. It's an arrestable offense.

photo citations don't count on your record here in AZ.

Did a little checking for the OP, and it appears that texas cares. They are a part of the driver license compact and share information. Here's a post appearing to indicate that TX will put points on her license.

Just take traffic school.

Received a photo radar ticket in Arizona. Will it go on?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
I wish people wouldn't answer if they weren't sure.

21+ absolutely matters. Faster than 20mph is a criminal violation, a misdemeanor. Misdemeanors show up countrywide. It's an arrestable offense.

photo citations don't count on your record here in AZ.

Did a little checking for the OP, and it appears that texas cares. They are a part of the driver license compact and share information. Here's a post appearing to indicate that TX will put points on her license.

Just take traffic school.

Received a photo radar ticket in Arizona. Will it go on?
Thanks for the info on civil vs criminal... I wasn't looking at it that way for some reason.

Everyone keeps saying the photo ones don't go on record, but no one ever cites the authority for it. I don't disagree, I just want to see something that actually says that. And, that link you posted says photo radar WILL go on the TX record. And, if it's an in person ticket, and it's civil traffic (up to 19 mph over the limit), then it also will go on your driving record. So yes, if you don't want the points, traffic school seems to be the option.

Last edited by observer53; 08-12-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,046 times
Thank you! Yes, it's a photo one... I'm very surprised that this is possibile in AZ. So, it will go on her record? That's what the link there says... says nothing about the 21mph rule, though.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 15,942 times
Hello all, I just received a speeding ticket in Arizona. The limit was 75 but I was doing 87 on the I-10 highway heading back to California. The officer said its normally a criminal offense but opted to show it as a civil. I'm a California resident and I wanted to know what should I expect? The officer just said I can go to Traffic school to get it whiped out. But reading some of the papers he gave me, it said I have to go to traffic school AND pay a 270 diversion fee. Is that right? I have to go to traffic school AND pay that 270 fee? Or do I just pay for traffic school?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,667 times
Sounds like a question you should be asking of the appropriate authorities rather than relying on the varied and suspect opinions of forum dwellers.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aav28 View Post
Hello all, I just received a speeding ticket in Arizona. The limit was 75 but I was doing 87 on the I-10 highway heading back to California. The officer said its normally a criminal offense but opted to show it as a civil. I'm a California resident and I wanted to know what should I expect? The officer just said I can go to Traffic school to get it whiped out. But reading some of the papers he gave me, it said I have to go to traffic school AND pay a 270 diversion fee. Is that right? I have to go to traffic school AND pay that 270 fee? Or do I just pay for traffic school?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Sounds like a question you should be asking of the appropriate authorities rather than relying on the varied and suspect opinions of forum dwellers.
Indeed. There must be a phone number on the documents you received. Call them and ask. The traffic school is NOT cheap, so that MAY be where the 270 comes from. There are all sorts of fees attached to these tickets. Call them and get the information.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I'll just pot it here.

Someone I know got a speeding ticket in Arizona. She lives in Texas. She told me ( called them ) that it would not go on ANY record ( criminal/driving ) cause it was under 21mph. I have never ever heard of something like this. I can not believe that a speeding ticket would not go on your record at all ( especially 20 mph over the limit ) I can not find anything about it online. I hope some AZ resident can help me! Would be reason enough to move to AZ
Welcome to RadarZona
If it was a radar ticket it is not reported to the DMV or insurance
It's all about Revenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: