U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM

6,352 posts, read 10,513,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU Alumni View Post
can't wait to get back to Arizona.
No, please don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
..and be real unpopular:

In conversation:

-Don't respond to God/church questions

-say: "I don't care to own a firearm"

-say: "I love classical music"

-say: "Sushimi is a favorite food"

-say: "I read the New York Times" and the "Washington Post"

-say: "I listen to NPR"

-say: IMO RV's are big fuel wasters, hard to see around, and slow traffic flows

-say: "I wish I lived where I could use public transportation and sell my motor vehicle"

-Talk about: big city stage plays, modern dance, and literature

-Talk American history facts such as: after emancipating slaves, Lincoln and Jefferson wanted to deport all blacks out of America. You'll get that blank stare (you'll come to know well) once your conversation moves beyond their (pseudo) cut-down cherry tree, kids elementary school crepe paper thanksgiving turkeys, and staged Iwo Jima flag planting.

..and:

-don't display the flag, even on the Fourth of July

-never drink to excess and scream at TV football games

-never own/drive a truck

-never have Christmas tree, outdoor lights or holiday displays

-never park your vehicle half on the sidewalk and half in the street

-never park your vehicle in the front yard

-never have your garage so full of Chinese Walmart junk that you can't park a vehicle inside and then say, "Buy American!"

-feign ignorance about auto racing and motor vehicle repair

-never wear a ball cap

-say Rush is obnoxious and fat (and so is Michael Moore)

- when suggested otherwise: tell them you are a veteran who served, and you're as American as they are. They won't believe it though.

Funny thing is.....I live in rural Arizona, can see the mountains of Mexico from my yard, could walk there in about 2-3 hours at the most(with breaks), and yet I am 9 of your points.
Now the silly thing is, we could scream and yell at you, asking why you supposedly live in rural Arizona, to which you'd reply it's your right as a American to live anywhere and that after all you're a veteran. But of course then your own written list would be a mute point of nothingness. Because those neighbors of yours have the same rights.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,352,670 times
And the irony is that many of today's conservatives do not drink but they drive economy cars/trucks though.

Parking on the sidewalk (unless making a delivery) is just plain low class since I actually use sidewalks for their intended purpose----------walking.

I do not own any firearms but that is my right-----------although I will never begrudge an otherwise law abiding citizen from owning even a small arsenal.

Flying the USMC flag is verboten for me since I was never in the military........let alone the Corps.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,391,767 times
Tell them Sherrif Joe is a Fascist or

Did you see where the West Valley View called Sherrif Joe's Posse... "Hitler Youth gone geriatric"

Old 08-24-2009, 02:28 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,391,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Funny thing is.....I live in rural Arizona, can see the mountains of Mexico from my yard, could walk there in about 2-3 hours at the most(with breaks), and yet I am 9 of your points.
Now the silly thing is, we could scream and yell at you, asking why you supposedly live in rural Arizona, to which you'd reply it's your right as a American to live anywhere and that after all you're a veteran. But of course then your own written list would be a mute point of nothingness. Because those neighbors of yours have the same rights.
Me too, I can see the hill beyond NACO from my Living Room and I live here to be close to Ft Huachuca. but the myth that the military is monolithically Neocon is silly

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

4,574 posts, read 3,263,727 times
Even with all of the eccentric behavior, I still love it here. Not craving Central Florida ! I will deal with the heat, and dead cars. Of course, I like to see an old dead car with flowers, and "purdy party" lights.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 AM

422 posts, read 814,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofury View Post
..and be real unpopular:

-say: "I wish I lived where I could use public transportation and sell my motor vehicle"

-don't display the flag, even on the Fourth of July

-never own/drive a truck

-never park your vehicle half on the sidewalk and half in the street
If you prefer public transportation, why would you even consider living in a rural area where a vehicle is the only option?

Rural AZ has sidewalks? Darn it, they must have missed most of rural Pima County! LOL!

I got news for you! Trucks are a necessity in rural AZ, considering many unpaved roads can damage low clearance vehicles.

Last but not least, if you don't like to display your flag even on the 4th of July, have you considered moving out of US?

This thread is ridiculous! A cityslickers stereotypical impression of rural AZ.

Last edited by xwideopenskyx; 08-25-2009 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 AM

172 posts, read 212,126 times
Yes, I was being tongue-in-cheek, and no way I'm about to endear myself to anyone doing this - especially with a first posting. I could have done a sarcasm send-up on city slickers just as easily. I'm from a military family - grandparent, father, brother's - and me! I've lived all over this world. I'm addicted to moving and seeing new places. Hard to break the habit after over fifty years. Love the rural. Love the urban. Love the foreign, love the domestic. Love all kinds of people, all kinds of music, and all kinds of food (yum!). "Bongofury" has nothing to do with dope, perhaps some confused the name with "bong"? Bongofury was an old LP by Captain Beefheart & Frank Zappa which poked fun at the American Bicentennial celebrations in a off-beat way that only those two could do. As most of you may know, Frank Zappa was the anti-drug performer. Many looked at his performances and appearance and assumed he must be a "stoner", but he was absolutely opposed to taking dope and the drug culture. Zappa died prematurely from cancer, and last I heard, the Captain was living in the Southern California desert somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona